YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 6:59 Quote
Finally got enough snow to put my '19 Jeffsy 29 CF Comp away for the year and while cleaning it noticed a nice dent in the rear wheel! Still holds air and all, but I had been thinking of trying 27.5 wheels anyway as I jump and play around more than trying to go fast and race. Is this possible to go 27.5 in a 29 frame or would I need a new fork/rear triangle? Assuming I'd lose some bb height and probably put the flip-chip in the high position to help offset that a tad...

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 8:33 Quote
Have at it! 27, 27+, 29, 29/27 Mullet will all work... Flip chip will help with the smaller wheels and a 15mm external lower headset cup (Slacker Puck) may be feasible with a low profile DMR Defy stem.

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
seanpaulpizza wrote:
Finally got enough snow to put my '19 Jeffsy 29 CF Comp away for the year and while cleaning it noticed a nice dent in the rear wheel! Still holds air and all, but I had been thinking of trying 27.5 wheels anyway as I jump and play around more than trying to go fast and race. Is this possible to go 27.5 in a 29 frame or would I need a new fork/rear triangle? Assuming I'd lose some bb height and probably put the flip-chip in the high position to help offset that a tad...

I guess nothing prevents using 27.5" wheels as such, fork should have plenty of room, only thing I'd check is that there is enough clearance on the chain-/seatstays if running with wider tires, as the smaller wheel puts the widest part of the tire in different place as with normal 29" wheel.

Geo-wise, by just swapping to 27.5" wheels F&R, the geometry otherwise stays the same(obviously), but BB drops about 20mm in absolute height(BB drop related to axles stays the same 35mm), which might be quite a bit with already low-ish(341mm) BB height.

Flip-chip to High position rises the BB by 8mm and steepens HTA by 0.5 degrees. So that would bring the BB height to 329mm, compare that to 342mm of the Jeffsy 27. Depends a bit on your preferences and what you ride, could be too low if you ride in big roots/rocks, but on smoother probably OK...

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
undescended wrote:
Have at it! 27, 27+, 29, 29/27 Mullet will all work... Flip chip will help with the smaller wheels and a 15mm external lower headset cup (Slacker Puck) may be feasible with a low profile DMR Defy stem.

Vertti83 wrote:
I guess nothing prevents using 27.5" wheels as such, fork should have plenty of room, only thing I'd check is that there is enough clearance on the chain-/seatstays if running with wider tires, as the smaller wheel puts the widest part of the tire in different place as with normal 29" wheel.

Geo-wise, by just swapping to 27.5" wheels F&R, the geometry otherwise stays the same(obviously), but BB drops about 20mm in absolute height(BB drop related to axles stays the same 35mm), which might be quite a bit with already low-ish(341mm) BB height.

Flip-chip to High position rises the BB by 8mm and steepens HTA by 0.5 degrees. So that would bring the BB height to 329mm, compare that to 342mm of the Jeffsy 27. Depends a bit on your preferences and what you ride, could be too low if you ride in big roots/rocks, but on smoother probably OK...

Thanks homies! Any budget-friendly 27.5 wheels people recommend? Wondering if I should get a kushcore or something similar as I ride a fair bit of urban stuff too

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 11:23 Quote
I’m running 35mm Mercury wheels which I got from CC for a little over 300. They are out of stock at the moment but the 30mm is available for 300-HG or 260-XD.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/mercury-wheels-enduro-alloy-27.5in-boost-wheelset?skidn=MCW0019-BK-S15X11012X148SRAHD&ti=UExQIENhdDpNb3VudGFpbiBCaWtlIFdoZWVsczoxOjI6Y2NDYXQxMDAxMTI=#

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 14:51 Quote
Do you guys think when the new AL Jeffsy is released it will just be updated to the current carbon geometry? Or do you think they will change it even more ala Ibis and the Ripmo AF?

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
I don't have a preference - as long as YT updates the aluminum model.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 17:23 Quote
U can just fix the dent(well make it better) by using some plyers and just recorrecting the rim. It may not be the best way but it will help it .

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Heist30 wrote:
TibZ wrote:
Mk1, 50 mm DMR Defy 35+ Stem (by the way, great stem allowing to increase the height of the bars, which I found slighlty too low at stock)

Photos please! d;o)

Ok, will do soon Smile

TibZ, Been a month, maybe post photo soon?

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
undescended wrote:
TibZ wrote:
Heist30 wrote:

Photos please! d;o)

Ok, will do soon Smile

Ordered my DMR stem from the UK and it will be here Wednesday with grips and a camo saddle...

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 2:57 Quote
undescended wrote:
TibZ wrote:
Heist30 wrote:

Photos please! d;o)

Ok, will do soon Smile

Sorry I have been busy, then wanted to finish it (clean it, install a few new parts etc.), and as I will get a new phone which should provide way better photos soon, I thought I would wait... But here are some pics. Sorry for the potato photo quality.

The stem is the 50 mm DMR Defy 35+, handlebars are One Up Components Carbon, 800 mm, 35 mm rise, and the ahead-cap is from Tune, a small german brand based here in the black forest.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 5:00 Quote
Damn, that’s a work of Art...the bike is kewl too...d;o). Knowing you’ve replaced the fork, how high are the spacers you’ve added with the Defy?

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
TibZ wrote:
undescended wrote:
TibZ wrote:

Ok, will do soon Smile

Sorry I have been busy, then wanted to finish it (clean it, install a few new parts etc.), and as I will get a new phone which should provide way better photos soon, I thought I would wait... But here are some pics. Sorry for the potato photo quality.

The stem is the 50 mm DMR Defy 35+, handlebars are One Up Components Carbon, 800 mm, 35 mm rise, and the ahead-cap is from Tune, a small german brand based here in the black forest.

Hey I see you have a topaz. How much do you weigh? I’m looking to upgrade my shock and have been looking at either a coil, topaz or RS super deluxe. I’m around 195lbs and was told recently that if you weigh around 200lbs my best bet is to go coil. If I went topaz I want to be able to have room to play around with air pressure and not be maxed out.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
Oh maybe I should have got the 50mm DMR instead of the 35mm.... Only way to find out is to try it

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 7:52 Quote
undescended wrote:
Damn, that’s a work of Art...the bike is kewl too...d;o). Knowing you’ve replaced the fork, how high are the spacers you’ve added with the Defy?

Thanks Smile I went all in with this bike, spent quite a lot of time (and some money) looking for parts, modifying it progressively etc Wink I'm happy of the result now, both esthetically and on the trails. Wheels would be the last thing to change, but for now they do their job well, it will wait.

I did not replace the fork (this is a pike), I modified it: 160 mm debonair shaft + green DVO o-ring (35 mm). The bike is a Jeffsy 27.5 XL 2018.

You can gain 2 cm of rise in total with the DMR stem compared to the turbine, check this video:
https://youtu.be/9oxkX-PW0RA

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011130
Mobile Version of Website