YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 8:04 Quote
Jda6385 wrote:

Hey I see you have a topaz. How much do you weigh? I’m looking to upgrade my shock and have been looking at either a coil, topaz or RS super deluxe. I’m around 195lbs and was told recently that if you weigh around 200lbs my best bet is to go coil. If I went topaz I want to be able to have room to play around with air pressure and not be maxed out.

I don't think your weight will be an issue. Actually I'm pretty certain it will not. I'm 170 lbs all geared-up and run 170 psi in the bladder (the minimum, for maximal small bump compliance) and around 170 psi in the main chamber, sometimes even less. With just 1 volume reducer in the positive chamber (equivalent of a token in a fork), if I remember well. I could check, I wrote down the final setup somewhere after tonnes of tests Wink
With these settings it's plush and basically bottomless... Never really bottomed-out, the jeffsy is so progressive you never reach the last few mm, but it works around a relatively deep position in this configuration, which I like.
It's a 230x65 providing 160 mm of travel.
Anyway, the topaz can take 300 psi, and I'm pretty certain you will never need that pressure on a Jeffsy. Except if you are sending 2m high drops to flat and do not absorb anything with your legs on a regular basis Razz

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 9:30 Quote
TibZ wrote:
undescended wrote:
Damn, that’s a work of Art...the bike is kewl too...d;o). Knowing you’ve replaced the fork, how high are the spacers you’ve added with the Defy?

Thanks Smile I went all in with this bike, spent quite a lot of time (and some money) looking for parts, modifying it progressively etc Wink I'm happy of the result now, both esthetically and on the trails. Wheels would be the last thing to change, but for now they do their job well, it will wait.

I did not replace the fork (this is a pike), I modified it: 160 mm debonair shaft + green DVO o-ring (35 mm). The bike is a Jeffsy 27.5 XL 2018.

You can gain 2 cm of rise in total with the DMR stem compared to the turbine, check this video:
https://youtu.be/9oxkX-PW0RA
. AH Gotcha... based on the color I thought it was 2019 AL.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
undescended wrote:
AH Gotcha... based on the color I thought it was 2019 AL.

Yup Jeffsy CF 27.5 XL 2018, forgot the CF.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Jda6385 wrote:

Hey I see you have a topaz. How much do you weigh? I’m looking to upgrade my shock and have been looking at either a coil, topaz or RS super deluxe. I’m around 195lbs and was told recently that if you weigh around 200lbs my best bet is to go coil. If I went topaz I want to be able to have room to play around with air pressure and not be maxed out.

I don't think your weight will be an issue. Actually I'm pretty certain it will not. I'm 170 lbs all geared-up and run 170 psi in the bladder (the minimum, for maximal small bump compliance) and around 170 psi in the main chamber, sometimes even less. With just 1 volume reducer in the positive chamber (equivalent of a token in a fork), if I remember well. I could check, I wrote down the final setup somewhere after tonnes of tests Wink
With these settings it's plush and basically bottomless... Never really bottomed-out, the jeffsy is so progressive you never reach the last few mm, but it works around a relatively deep position in this configuration, which I like.
It's a 230x65 providing 160 mm of travel.
Anyway, the topaz can take 300 psi, and I'm pretty certain you will never need that pressure on a Jeffsy. Except if you are sending 2m high drops to flat and do not absorb anything with your legs on a regular basis Razz

Awesome man thanks! have you experimented with any other shocks on this bike?? Also, I'm a bit confused when it comes to sag versus sitting deep in the travel.. are you at 30% sag when you say your setup is in a deep configuration?? or does sag really matter that much vs the right air pressure?? hope that question makes sense?

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 15:58 Quote
Jda6385 wrote:
Awesome man thanks! have you experimented with any other shocks on this bike?? Also, I'm a bit confused when it comes to sag versus sitting deep in the travel.. are you at 30% sag when you say your setup is in a deep configuration?? or does sag really matter that much vs the right air pressure?? hope that question makes sense?

Around 30% yes, or even slightly more, on the jeffsy it works well, the jeffsy likes to sit relatively deep in the travel in my opinion, the suspension is working well in the 30-70% range, and then ramp up so you do not bottom out. With a linear suspension design, you would generally set less sag, 25 or even 20% if the curve is really linear. Here the suspension is by itself very progressive, so you can run quite low pressure / high sag. It also depends on the rebound setting a little, the faster the rebound, the less travel you will use. I do not like it that fast actually, but I guess it's a matter of taste and riding style too.
I only had the stock rock shox deluxe before on this bike, and no need to elaborate on the fact that the Topaz is far superior in every aspect.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 17:58 Quote
asmtb wrote:
Ordered my DMR stem from the UK and it will be here Wednesday with grips and a camo saddle...
Where’d you find the best deal? Saw ProBikeKit has a great price but my last order was lost, so not again...

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 23:19 Quote
undescended wrote:
asmtb wrote:
Ordered my DMR stem from the UK and it will be here Wednesday with grips and a camo saddle...
Where’d you find the best deal? Saw ProBikeKit has a great price but my last order was lost, so not again...

I bought mine through ProBikeKit, no issue at all. You might just have been unlucky once?

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
TibZ wrote:
undescended wrote:
asmtb wrote:

I bought mine through ProBikeKit, no issue at all. You might just have been unlucky once?

I got mine at wiggle with $20 off coupon. But they are sold out. ProBikeKit looks like a real good price.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 11:04 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Jda6385 wrote:

Around 30% yes, or even slightly more, on the jeffsy it works well, the jeffsy likes to sit relatively deep in the travel in my opinion, the suspension is working well in the 30-70% range, and then ramp up so you do not bottom out. With a linear suspension design, you would generally set less sag, 25 or even 20% if the curve is really linear. Here the suspension is by itself very progressive, so you can run quite low pressure / high sag. It also depends on the rebound setting a little, the faster the rebound, the less travel you will use. I do not like it that fast actually, but I guess it's a matter of taste and riding style too.
I only had the stock rock shox deluxe before on this bike, and no need to elaborate on the fact that the Topaz is far superior in every aspect.

Jeffsy CF Gen1 owner, topaz t3 140 mm rear

Problem with blown trough travel at 25% 73kg geared, somewhat huck to flat 1.4 - 1.5meter 20km/h. Gave me a Achilles tendon injury due to the bottom out incident.

Sag 25%(14.3mm)
Main 190bar
bladder 195bar
Rebound middle
Neg band 0
Pos Band +1

Finding it to soft in midtravel too when sprinting.

What is the next step? +1 neg and +1pos?
Or could I just add pressure in main to decrease sag?

Or buy new bike?...

Br

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
Littan wrote:

Problem with blown trough travel at 25% 73kg geared, somewhat huck to flat 1.4 - 1.5meter 20km/h. Gave me a Achilles tendon injury due to the bottom out incident.

Sag 25%(14.3mm)
Main 190bar
bladder 195bar
Rebound middle
Neg band 0
Pos Band +1

Or buy new bike?...

Br

My 2 cents:
- 1 more band in positive chamber
- reduce bladder to 175-180
- increase main to 200
- see how it goes from there Smile

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Littan wrote:

Sag 25%(14.3mm)
Main 190bar
bladder 195bar
Rebound middle
Neg band 0
Pos Band +1

Or buy new bike?...

Br

My 2 cents:
- 1 more band in positive chamber
- reduce bladder to 175-180
- increase main to 200
- see how it goes from there Smile

+1 on that, fairly much exactly as I'm running the Topaz my 17 CF One.

and Littan, guessing those are psi numbers rather than bar!!!

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
Littan wrote:
TibZ wrote:
Jda6385 wrote:

Sag 25%(14.3mm)
Main 190bar
bladder 195bar
Rebound middle
Neg band 0
Pos Band +1

Or buy new bike?...

Br

Post in the DVO owners thread, finalgear in there works for DVO is very helpful.

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
Adding positive bands generally doesn't affect the mid travel, but should increase progression at the end. Adding negative bands should affect the initial part of the travel, and if you make the negative spring volume smaller, it should affect less in the mid-stroke, so that could improve that part if it was a problem. Adding negative bands makes initial stroke less sensitive, but you could decrease that effect by reducing the bladder pressure...

I'm about the same weight(~70kg geared), and I have quite different setup:
- bladder 175 psi
- main can 170 psi
- bands 1neg 0pos
- sag ~25%

I've found this setup to work quite well in all kind of riding. However, I don't get to jump/drop that often as we don't have any proper hills here in Finland. So might be if I'd ride bigger terrain more often that I'd need more ramp up or so...

There seems to be some discrepancy either in weight, pressure readings or sag between our setup... Smile

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 16:32 Quote
70kg:
King Can McLeod
120psi, 25%sag
‘Set it and forget it!’
(Except for occasional reset of the neg air chamber)...
use full travel but feels bottomless...well I ain’t huckin 5ft to flat, too old for that...3 maybe if I feel reckless d;o)

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 20:56 Quote
asmtb wrote:
Oh maybe I should have got the 50mm DMR instead of the 35mm.... Only way to find out is to try it

My turn... I currently have a 35mm 0deg stem with 40mm rise bar.

Is the Defy 35mm Awesome like you expected or should I go 50mm? I also will try my Slacker Puck since steerer will have the real estate.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007062
Mobile Version of Website