YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Apr 17, 2020 at 9:01 Quote

YT shoulda just left the Jeffsy alone at 140mm of travel. It was a perfect bike!

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 13:06 Quote
code26 wrote:

YT shoulda just left the Jeffsy alone at 140mm of travel. It was a perfect bike!

I must admit I agree. I have a 2017 CF Pro with TRSR 27mm carbon wheels and just love it - perfect trail/xc/big day out mtb for me. I was really exited when I saw they had made a short travel 29er but don't think they have got it quite right (for me anyway). Awesome wheel set but a few other things let it down IMO.

* Dumb rear lock out system (don't need remote lock out on trail bike)
* Rear shock mounting design - not all shock pumps will screw on and the bottom mounting looks like a cleaning/mud trap nightmare
* Should be lighter (Pro Race) considering build - very light wheel set but it is no lighter than mine with same tyres?
* Questions around geometry according to reviewers so far - having to shift seat right forward, etc.

YT are good at making changes/improvements so next years might suit me better?

Thoughts?

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 15:35 Quote
Feeling exactly the same, but we are just not the targets of this bike.
And I really think the jeffsy first gen was the pure gem that you cannot achieve each time.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 6:54 Quote
fautquecaswing wrote:
Feeling exactly the same, but we are just not the targets of this bike.
And I really think the jeffsy first gen was the pure gem that you cannot achieve each time.

Yeah, it's not the bike for me, but I actually think it's a good bike for my wife Smile She's not gonna bash into stuff or go warp speed; she just wants a smoother ride on the trails. Even the base model has a good selection of components and if I want to make it lighter for her in the future I'd upgrade the drivetrain and put some carbon bars on. That plus going tubeless should get it 27 lb I'd think.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
I have Jeffsy 29 comp supposed to ship in June and having to wait has me looking into a bunch of components I want to upgrade, specifically the fork (36 rhythm) rear shock (dpx2) and brakes (guide r). But since my order is a ways out I’m debating if it makes more sense to just go with the Pro and save myself the headache of selling take off components and dealing with the used market + having a shop install (I’m learning but haven’t ever swapped a fork or suspension). Plus I get the Gx group set

Any thoughts on the pike select plus and the super deluxe select + vs. the rhythm and dpx2? Any other thoughts on going up a level in general? Or should I just ride the comp and upgrade as a see fit. I ride all terrain lots of rocky stuff here in the front range... thanks!

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
ianfox52 wrote:
I have Jeffsy 29 comp supposed to ship in June and having to wait has me looking into a bunch of components I want to upgrade, specifically the fork (36 rhythm) rear shock (dpx2) and brakes (guide r). But since my order is a ways out I’m debating if it makes more sense to just go with the Pro and save myself the headache of selling take off components and dealing with the used market + having a shop install (I’m learning but haven’t ever swapped a fork or suspension). Plus I get the Gx group set

Any thoughts on the pike select plus and the super deluxe select + vs. the rhythm and dpx2? Any other thoughts on going up a level in general? Or should I just ride the comp and upgrade as a see fit. I ride all terrain lots of rocky stuff here in the front range... thanks!

My advice is if you can afford it then go up a level. Hindsight 20/20 for me. I should have went with the pro race version when instead I went for the pro. The 19 jeffsy pro came with the inline RS Deluxe which sucked and the e13 wheels which were pretty soft. I ended up upgrading the shock and buying carbon wheels which cost me more than the difference in cost between the two. On the other hand I did get to custom build it to exactly what I wanted.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
ianfox52 wrote:

I had the 36 Rhythm and DPX2 on my 2019 Spectral and I was very happy with them. I'd throw the money towards drivetrain, brakes and wheels.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
wowbagger wrote:

I had the 36 Rhythm and DPX2 on my 2019 Spectral and I was very happy with them. I'd throw the money towards drivetrain, brakes and wheels.

Good to know the 36 Rhythek and DPX2 performed well. I guess it comes down to is an upgrade from NX to GX and Guide R to G2 RSC worth the $900 bucks. Sounds like I’ll be happy with either shock/fork package.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 18:37 Quote
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I think I'm getting some creak from the bottom bracket on my 2019 Jeffsy AL. From what I understand it is a 41mm diameter press fit BB92 bottom bracket w/ a Sram Dub spindle. What are my options here? Obviously I can just replace it with another SRAM one, what are my other options?

Looks like this one from Wheels Mfg would work as well?
https://wheelsmfg.com/bb86-to-29mm-dub-flanged-dual-row-pressfit-86-92-abec-3-bottom-bracket.html

Is it common for these bottom brackets to give out? I'm not 100% certain it's the BB, but I think that's the issue I'm hearing.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
If you haven’t yet pulled the outer cassette to grease the driver bushing and cassette contact points, try that first...

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 19:36 Quote
undescended wrote:
If you haven’t yet pulled the outer cassette to grease the driver bushing and cassette contact points, try that first...

Thanks for the suggestion, you referring to the points where the cassette cogs contact the Shimano freehub body?

I noticed this on an evening ride tonight and it's getting late but I plan to dig into this more and go through and inspect all the pivots and check torques on everything.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 21:26 Quote
Bbinfinite has a one piece bottom bracket for dub BB that I hear works well.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 1:16 Quote
ianfox52 wrote:
wowbagger wrote:

Good to know the 36 Rhythek and DPX2 performed well. I guess it comes down to is an upgrade from NX to GX and Guide R to G2 RSC worth the $900 bucks. Sounds like I’ll be happy with either shock/fork package.

Just remember that NX and GX use a different driver for the cassette Smile

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
Clavis wrote:
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I think I'm getting some creak from the bottom bracket on my 2019 Jeffsy AL. From what I understand it is a 41mm diameter press fit BB92 bottom bracket w/ a Sram Dub spindle. What are my options here? Obviously I can just replace it with another SRAM one, what are my other options?

Looks like this one from Wheels Mfg would work as well?
https://wheelsmfg.com/bb86-to-29mm-dub-flanged-dual-row-pressfit-86-92-abec-3-bottom-bracket.html

Is it common for these bottom brackets to give out? I'm not 100% certain it's the BB, but I think that's the issue I'm hearing.

I am a very big fan of the wheelsmfg thread together pressfit BB's I have 2 of them and they work great.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017051
Mobile Version of Website