YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 6:56 Quote
scoobiemario wrote:
tallpaul-s wrote:
scoobiemario wrote:

Only thing I can think of, would be to pull a soft string/ thin rope through it alongside the cable jacket, so it would keep it tight inside there.

I do not think my cables rattle though. What model do you have? Mine is '29 Pro Race

Same, 2019 CF Pro Race - only the cables on the left side of the head tube do it, the dropper cable doesn't rattle, maybe becuase it's under tension. Might try putting a ziptie above the rubber frame plugs to force the cable to stay taught.

It's not like it's a massively loud rattle, but it's the only noise so it annoys me a little when I can hear it!

You know, now when you said that, that's all I'm gonna hear on the next ride Razz

The zip tie did the job! It was only the rear brake hose that was rattling slightly, the rubber plug didn't want to stay in the frame hole - maybe the hole was slightly larger than the rest - but a ziptie above it has kept the plug in place and the brake hose under tension so it's not loose in the internal tube.

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
tallpaul-s wrote:
scoobiemario wrote:
tallpaul-s wrote:

Same, 2019 CF Pro Race - only the cables on the left side of the head tube do it, the dropper cable doesn't rattle, maybe becuase it's under tension. Might try putting a ziptie above the rubber frame plugs to force the cable to stay taught.

It's not like it's a massively loud rattle, but it's the only noise so it annoys me a little when I can hear it!

You know, now when you said that, that's all I'm gonna hear on the next ride Razz

The zip tie did the job! It was only the rear brake hose that was rattling slightly, the rubber plug didn't want to stay in the frame hole - maybe the hole was slightly larger than the rest - but a ziptie above it has kept the plug in place and the brake hose under tension so it's not loose in the internal tube.
Sweet. Simple solutions are best solutions!

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 14:20 Quote
qrealm wrote:
governor wrote:
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove tapered washers in the axles? These things seem to be stuck and I can't pull them out. I've tried to loosen them up a little by using an allen key to rotate them, but I've only managed to massacre the socket. Trying to pop them out using the allen key as a lever does not work either, but I have not used too much force not to damage the washers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PRr6TE3hPLGNpac7A

The root problem here is that my 2020 Jeffsy Base is creaking when pedalling hard, but also when compressing the suspension without pedalling - basically a loud pop every time. I thought I'll re-grease the axles before I send it back for warranty...

This was happening to me as well. Regreased and retorqued the horst-link bolts on the chainstays and that seemed to do the trick... On another note, I would love some tips for the pivot axle washers as well; I was just trying to take those apart but can only seem to round out the washers lol

Regreasing the horst link pivots did the trick for me as well. Sadly no progress on removing the taper washers. I have broken a bearing removal tool while trying to remove them, so I'm now officially out of ideas. YT have not responded to my repeated emails for 2 weeks.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 18:49 Quote
governor wrote:
qrealm wrote:
governor wrote:
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove tapered washers in the axles? These things seem to be stuck and I can't pull them out. I've tried to loosen them up a little by using an allen key to rotate them, but I've only managed to massacre the socket. Trying to pop them out using the allen key as a lever does not work either, but I have not used too much force not to damage the washers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PRr6TE3hPLGNpac7A

The root problem here is that my 2020 Jeffsy Base is creaking when pedalling hard, but also when compressing the suspension without pedalling - basically a loud pop every time. I thought I'll re-grease the axles before I send it back for warranty...

This was happening to me as well. Regreased and retorqued the horst-link bolts on the chainstays and that seemed to do the trick... On another note, I would love some tips for the pivot axle washers as well; I was just trying to take those apart but can only seem to round out the washers lol

Regreasing the horst link pivots did the trick for me as well. Sadly no progress on removing the taper washers. I have broken a bearing removal tool while trying to remove them, so I'm now officially out of ideas. YT have not responded to my repeated emails for 2 weeks.

When i did my bearing overhaul a couple months ago i ran into same issue. I was able to get it out with the allen wrench tho. Definitely make sure to grease them once you get them out and go to reinstall them

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
governor wrote:
qrealm wrote:

When i did my bearing overhaul a couple months ago i ran into same issue. I was able to get it out with the allen wrench tho. Definitely make sure to grease them once you get them out and go to reinstall them

YT finally responded with the following advice:

Most of the time, when the tapered washer is a bit stuck, it helps to side-load the pivot, by pushing and pulling the rear end from one side to the other, or pushing sideways on the pedal, when the bike is standing on the ground.
The torsional movement should loosen the washer.

I'm going to try that once I put some miles in on the bike, hopefully they will loosen up a bit.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
I had a click/pop at a certain point in my pedal stroke, thought it was maybe the BB, but couldn't get a pop out of it when putting pressure on the crank, so thought I'd check some pivots. Started with the flip chip/shock since I wanted to try it in the 'High' position anyway, then riding plans moved up, so didn't go any futher.

1. It fixed the pop (that or tightening the studs on my pedals, anyway).
2. Wow does that flip chip make a big difference in feel... you think half a degree is nothing, but it made a pretty significant impact on how the bike handles and pedals. With the DPX2 in the middle position it really climbs.

Has anyone added a remote for the rear shock on the Jeffsy? I guess that's what that plugged cable route is for that pops out above the rear shock... as it is, I reach down there and flip that thing back and forth a lot, but it'd be nice to be able to do it w/o taking a hand off the bars when I realize it's semi-locked when I'm already into the rocks.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
Need help from pike owners with the newer charger 2.1 damper. I have the new 2020 jeffsy pro with the pike select + fork.

I'm pretty sure the damper is defective out of the box. The compression knob makes no difference LSC or HSC dampening. I'm a fox/ dvo guy for several years so I've only had previous generations of pikes.

So am I right? Or does the compression adjustment literally change nothing with LSC or HSC? I messaged YT, obviously, but they just said it only makes mild changes. But literally, there is not compression feedback whatsoever. I also took the air top assembly out and no difference LSC cycling through.

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 18:50 Quote
BobAG wrote:
2. Wow does that flip chip make a big difference in feel... you think half a degree is nothing, but it made a pretty significant impact on how the bike handles and pedals. With the DPX2 in the middle position it really climbs.

How did it feel/affect on the descents?

I just rode mine for the first time today. All my previous MTB experience (rode quite a bit and raced some many years ago) is on a rigid 26er with very steep head tube angle (71 deg.) and seat tube angle (72 deg.) and a short, 1100 mm wheelbase, and it sure feels like that big, 29" wheel is waay out there in front of me! Don't get me wrong, I was very pleased with how it climbed, I just think I might actually prefer the steeper angle on the ups, and not really feel the penalty on the downs as I am not a super-aggressive rider, I more prefer the techy stuff.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 21:42 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
BobAG wrote:

How did it feel/affect on the descents?

I just rode mine for the first time today. All my previous MTB experience (rode quite a bit and raced some many years ago) is on a rigid 26er with very steep head tube angle (71 deg.) and seat tube angle (72 deg.) and a short, 100 mm wheelbase, and it sure feels like that big, 29" wheel is waay out there in front of me! Don't get me wrong, I was very pleased with how it climbed, I just think I might actually prefer the steeper angle on the ups, and not really feel the penalty on the downs as I am not a super-aggressive rider, I more prefer the techy stuff.

It's a little bit easier to get the front wheel up, I suppose... you end up feeling more on top of the bike (while still feeling very in the bike compared to some other brands I've ridden... my previous Yeti SB95, some Santa Cruz stuff, Giants...), and I feel like it took faster corners a bit better in the slacker setting, but I'd say you probably won't notice much negative on downhills if you aren't pretty aggressive. As it is, I find the bike slightly more playful in the High position. I'm digging it... might go back the other way in a few rides just to see which I prefer in the end.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 6:35 Quote
jddeerman wrote:
Need help from pike owners with the newer charger 2.1 damper. I have the new 2020 jeffsy pro with the pike select + fork.

I'm pretty sure the damper is defective out of the box. The compression knob makes no difference LSC or HSC dampening. I'm a fox/ dvo guy for several years so I've only had previous generations of pikes.

So am I right? Or does the compression adjustment literally change nothing with LSC or HSC? I messaged YT, obviously, but they just said it only makes mild changes. But literally, there is not compression feedback whatsoever. I also took the air top assembly out and no difference LSC cycling through.

Thanks!

If I were you, I'd take it by the local bike shop and have them look at it. Something seems, missing..

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Anyone running 160 fork travel on their jeffsy 29 comment on how well it rides!?! Going to experiment with bumping up the Pikes travel. Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were beforehand

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 10:46 Quote
Anyone running 160 fork travel on their jeffsy 29 comment on how well it rides!?! Going to experiment with bumping up the Pikes travel. Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were beforehand

Same here. By the way, does your pike have the charger 2.1 damper? I just got mine with the pike select +, but the compression knob doesn't make any difference HSC/ LSC. Thought I'd check before making a claim.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 17:44 Quote

Not a Pike, but 160mm. Did the Push ACS3 coil conversion on my 36, 160mm and absolutely LOVE it. So I’m 150R/160F. No regrets.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 18:15 Quote
joedave wrote:

Not a Pike, but 160mm. Did the Push ACS3 coil conversion on my 36, 160mm and absolutely LOVE it. So I’m 150R/160F. No regrets.

How much sag do you run on your fork??

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
jddeerman wrote:

Same here. By the way, does your pike have the charger 2.1 damper? I just got mine with the pike select +, but the compression knob doesn't make any difference HSC/ LSC. Thought I'd check before making a claim.

Mine is the 2019 Pike RCT3 Charger 2 damper. I will say that my LSC adjustments are very noticeable.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007935
Mobile Version of Website