YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 18:10 Quote
Hey ordered some horst link screws caps from YT a few weeks ago and still not here. Any thoughts trying to whip up my own or something?

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
Looking to go up to 800mm bars on my 2020 Jeffsy (coming from the stock 780mm). Should I be looking at a shorter stem as well? I guess it also depends on back/upsweep etc, looking to hear from people that have made this adjustment and what bar they went for

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 3:08 Quote
qrealm wrote:
Looking to go up to 800mm bars on my 2020 Jeffsy (coming from the stock 780mm). Should I be looking at a shorter stem as well? I guess it also depends on back/upsweep etc, looking to hear from people that have made this adjustment and what bar they went for

Went from the stock Renthal 50mm stem and 800mm 30mm rise bar, to a Oneup 35mm stem and 800mm 35mm rise bar.

I needed some more height though as I'm 6ft 3in on an XXL 29er. Feels perfect to me.

A shorter stem will bring the bars down a smidge, and wider bars will lengthen the reach to the bars, which the shorter stem will offset. So shorter stem + wider bars would equal the same reach to the bars, but a slightly lower bar height.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 19:11 Quote
I'm trying to decide between a YT Jeffsy Pro Race or an Evil Offering GX

The YT has a better spec, but I have heard great things about the way the offering rides. Is there a big difference between the bikes? Is the Jeffsy the better deal/ride with the better spec?

Is the Delta system and their tuning that much better or will I not really be able to tell the difference other than the price?

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 21:57 Quote
mbwyo wrote:

The YT has a better spec, but I have heard great things about the way the offering rides. Is there a big difference between the bikes? Is the Jeffsy the better deal/ride with the better spec?

Is the Delta system and their tuning that much better or will I not really be able to tell the difference other than the price?

Never been on an Offering, but on my third YT right now, a 2020 jeffsy 29 pro. They all ride a little firm, but man, I can't work out how harsh the rear is over repeated roots/ rocks on their newest model. Super deluxe and dpx2 both feel the same. Played around with 25-35% sag. Messed with my bag of volume spacers. Nothing seems to help.

By comparison, it rides rougher than my 2018 Smuggler with only 120mm rear. It's the only bike I've had in years this bad. However, big drops it's plush and balanced, and pedals great.

Anyone else have mega rear end harshness and any solutions besides X2 or coil?

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 1:44 Quote
jddeerman wrote:
mbwyo wrote:

Never been on an Offering, but on my third YT right now, a 2020 jeffsy 29 pro. They all ride a little firm, but man, I can't work out how harsh the rear is over repeated roots/ rocks on their newest model. Super deluxe and dpx2 both feel the same. Played around with 25-35% sag. Messed with my bag of volume spacers. Nothing seems to help.

By comparison, it rides rougher than my 2018 Smuggler with only 120mm rear. It's the only bike I've had in years this bad. However, big drops it's plush and balanced, and pedals great.

The frames are too progressive for air shocks. I had the same harshness and opted for a coil shock... haven’t looked back since. To get the frame to feel (kind of) supple with the stock shock I had to run a much lower PSI which creates its own set of issues.

If you want to stick to air I would recommend the X2 or Topaz. Can’t change the suspension platform of the bike so changing the shock to better compliment the frame is your only option, really. Other than that you can drop some air pressure out of your tires to help dampen some things... again trying to fix the problem by creating more problems. But most of us can afford to spare a couple PSI in our tires.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 2:35 Quote
just sharing the joy of having a Jeff back in my life after a short hiatus on a Canyon Spectral. Good to be back Smile

dog food boots and a bike

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 6:26 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
jddeerman wrote:
mbwyo wrote:

The frames are too progressive for air shocks. I had the same harshness and opted for a coil shock... haven’t looked back since. To get the frame to feel (kind of) supple with the stock shock I had to run a much lower PSI which creates its own set of issues.

If you want to stick to air I would recommend the X2 or Topaz. Can’t change the suspension platform of the bike so changing the shock to better compliment the frame is your only option, really. Other than that you can drop some air pressure out of your tires to help dampen some things... again trying to fix the problem by creating more problems. But most of us can afford to spare a couple PSI in our tires.

Yup, had a X2 on my previous Jeffy, totally muted the harsh repeated hits

I played around with tire pressure up to 25% less than normal. No real help. And yeah, running more sag and it has no midstroke support, rear packs down over repeated hits.

Yeah, I'm probably going for the DVO Jade X.

What spring rate and sag you around?

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
jddeerman wrote:

I played around with tire pressure up to 25% less than normal. No real help. And yeah, running more sag and it has no midstroke support, rear packs down over repeated hits.

I run a Canecreek DB CS shock (60mm stroke)

Sag is maybe around 25% but I don’t pay too much attention to it. Running a 500lb spring but lost some weight since purchasing last year. 500lb spring for 190lbs/86kg at the time. I do prefer a stiffer setup and at 170lbs/77kg now I still don’t mind the 500lb spring but I’ll probably opt for a 450lb spring when it’s convenient.

For the coil length canecreek shocks with 60mm stroke (correlating to 150mm of travel) is 2.5” or greater. For a 65mm stroke (160mm travel) you would want a 2.75” coil. Could be different for the Jade, though.

I’ve been contemplating running 160mm of rear travel (I bumped the fork to 160) but I really don’t want to lower the BB and decrease the reach, which I find small. I’d be fine with the BB being 3mm lower but I’d need to run 170mm cranks.. those pedal strikes are deadly!

Edit: realizing this is the 29er Jeffsy thread! I ride a 27.5

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
jddeerman wrote:
mbwyo wrote:

I know exactly what you’re talking about. I made the best move I could and switched to coil. The bike is freaking awesome now. But I will tell you that I’m running Rimpact Original tire inserts and recently had to switch back to air shock while I serviced my coil. That harshness is now gone due to the Rimpacts I’m almost certain. Think it may be your cheapest solution.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
jddeerman wrote:
mbwyo wrote:

I know exactly what you’re talking about. I made the best move I could and switched to coil. The bike is freaking awesome now. But I will tell you that I’m running Rimpact Original tire inserts and recently had to switch back to air shock while I serviced my coil. That harshness is now gone due to the Rimpacts I’m almost certain. Think it may be your cheapest solution.

Nice, gonna have to go X2 or coil then for sure. My previous gen Jeffsy that was the trick

Oh? I installed cushcore (to run slightly lower pressure to try to tone down the harsh rear end). If anything my 2 months on cushcore has more harshness. Definitely not smoother. Running 17-19 psi

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
jddeerman wrote:
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
jddeerman wrote:

Nice, gonna have to go X2 or coil then for sure. My previous gen Jeffsy that was the trick

Oh? I installed cushcore (to run slightly lower pressure to try to tone down the harsh rear end). If anything my 2 months on cushcore has more harshness. Definitely not smoother. Running 17-19 psi

Hmm i think your pressures are too low. Try running low 20s and see if that helps

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 14:22 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
just sharing the joy of having a Jeff back in my life after a short hiatus on a Canyon Spectral. Good to be back Smile

dog food boots and a bike

How much different is the spectral compared to the jeffsy?? i almost went Canyon. Is YT's suspension overall better or worse than canyon??

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
jddeerman wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:
jddeerman wrote:

Went with the Jade X, and surprisingly have the same story as nateisgreat. I was a bit heavier when I got the Jade X, and have a 500LB spring. Now I am 165 (~180 kitted) and it still seems to work really well for the Jeff. The one thing I have adjusted and played with is the bladder pressure on the Jade X, and matching the compression to my weight.
The coil has absolutely dampened the harshness and I havent had any problems with it packing.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
shred-zilla wrote:
jddeerman wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:

Went with the Jade X, and surprisingly have the same story as nateisgreat. I was a bit heavier when I got the Jade X, and have a 500LB spring. Now I am 165 (~180 kitted) and it still seems to work really well for the Jeff. The one thing I have adjusted and played with is the bladder pressure on the Jade X, and matching the compression to my weight.
The coil has absolutely dampened the harshness and I havent had any problems with it packing.

Nice! Gonna have to do that. Yeah I know how that bladder pressure acts . Do you find the fully open compression lever to still have good pedaling characteristics? That's my only concern with the Jade X is no LSC to fine tune that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008033
Mobile Version of Website