YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 15:09 Quote
I posted this in the other Jeffsy thread. So I figure I'll ask here too.

Has anyone used an angled headset on their Jeffsy? I have a 2020 Jeffsy base and I think it could be an interesting experiment. Any thoughts on this?

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
I have a yt jeffsy 29 base 2020 with the rockshox deluxe select shock. It doesn't have the lock, only compression and rebound.

A while ago I asked yt for suggestions on an alternate shock and they told me that the following shock would work:
2020, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, YT, Jeffsy 29, 210, 55, 0.4 Spacer, CEC001, LRM, Rezi M F F, Standard Logo

I could now buy a fox shock with this specifications:
2019, FLOAT DPS, P-Se, A, 3pos-Adj, Evol LV, Rocky Mountain, Altitude Powerplay Carbon 70 C1, 210, 55, 0.4 Spacer, LCM, LRM, CMF, PMS-1655C/PMS-1655C Logo

I found online some interpretation of the codes, but I'm not skilled enough to understand if the shock could work on my frame.
I guess it could, due to the LRM code that means linear rebound medium.
The shock I could buy is for a Rocky mountain bike, but can be used on my jeffsy?

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 14:14 Quote
effemmeffe wrote:
I have a yt jeffsy 29 base 2020 with the rockshox deluxe select shock. It doesn't have the lock, only compression and rebound.

A while ago I asked yt for suggestions on an alternate shock and they told me that the following shock would work:
2020, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, YT, Jeffsy 29, 210, 55, 0.4 Spacer, CEC001, LRM, Rezi M F F, Standard Logo

2019, FLOAT DPS, P-Se, A, 3pos-Adj, Evol LV, Rocky Mountain, Altitude Powerplay Carbon 70 C1, 210, 55, 0.4 Spacer, LCM, LRM, CMF, PMS-1655C/PMS-1655C Logo

I found online some interpretation of the codes, but I'm not skilled enough to understand if the shock could work on my frame.
The shock I could buy is for a Rocky mountain bike, but can be used on my jeffsy?

The DPS shock unlike the DPX2 does not have a piggy back and will probably be less consistent on long downhills. The DPS isn't too much of an upgrade from the Deluxe that came on your bike.

Personally if I was going to be buying an entirely new shock for a Jeffsy I would I would try to find a used coil for cheap I think. The progressive suspension design really shines with a coil. For air shocks people really like the DVO Topaz too because it can be tuned to feel more linear.

I have the super deluxe with the lockout, sometimes I use it on fire road climbs if I remember, but mostly don't touch it as the bike pedals well in open.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 14:31 Quote
effemmeffe wrote:

The DPS shock unlike the DPX2 does not have a piggy back and will probably be less consistent on long downhills. The DPS isn't too much of an upgrade from the Deluxe that came on your bike.

Personally if I was going to be buying an entirely new shock for a Jeffsy I would I would try to find a used coil for cheap I think. The progressive suspension design really shines with a coil. For air shocks people really like the DVO Topaz too because it can be tuned to feel more linear.

I have the super deluxe with the lockout, sometimes I use it on fire road climbs if I remember, but mostly don't touch it as the bike pedals well in open.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
effemmeffe wrote:

Look for a DVO topaz or Fox X2 for air, or any coil shock.

You just need to purchase something with the same eye to eye length and stroke length. Which in your case is a 210mm x 55mm. Any shock with those measurements can fit. But Topaz or X2 or coil are what I’d recommend.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
Speaking of rear shocks, I wound up putting the megneg on my super deluxe select plus on the Jeffsy 29 pro.

I really dig it. The megneg actually makes the shock more linear, but It does increase air pressure you have to use so it might not work for everyone on a progressive frame. If you currently have any volume spacers in your jeffsy that you can remove it might be a good options.

Previous settings were
230 psi for 25% sag with 2 positive spacers

Now 265 psi for 25% sag with 0 spacers and 1 negative band.

Shock feels more supple on small bumps, more supportive in midstroke and less harsh on bottom outs. Might even remove a negative spacer and add a positive, it doesn't feel too hard to bottom out at all, possibly even the opposite.
For more information see the last few pages on the megneg thread for discussion on megneg in progressive frames.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 2:16 Quote
HooperAK wrote:

I know I could buy better shocks, but this will come as a bargain, less than 200 euros brand new.
I'm a big lad: when I climb standing the rear shock bobs too much, I have a friend with the same shock and the firm lock is really good on the fox and that alone would worth the upgrade at that price.
Plus, I'm not a fast rider, if I'll need more shock I'll always be able to buy a new one in the future.
I just want to be sure that the fox will not change the behaviour of the frame.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 3:38 Quote
effemmeffe wrote:
HooperAK wrote:

I know I could buy better shocks, but this will come as a bargain, less than 200 euros brand new.
I'm a big lad: when I climb standing the rear shock bobs too much, I have a friend with the same shock and the firm lock is really good on the fox and that alone would worth the upgrade at that price.
Plus, I'm not a fast rider, if I'll need more shock I'll always be able to buy a new one in the future.
I just want to be sure that the fox will not change the behaviour of the frame.

As a heavy rider, the DPS is probably not your ideal shock, especially when paired with the Jeffsy given it’s very progressive suspension kinematics by nature. It’ll always feel harsh. Also, faster riders tend to ride a stiffer setup as speed helps dampen things as you’re skipping over many of the compressions/bumps you’d otherwise hit if you where going slow, which is why slower riders tend to ride a softer suspension setup and many of these racers get away with running 5 tokens and 300psi... that and their lines are more precise of course.

If you’re going to upgrade the shock on the Jeffsy I too personally recommend you go with something more suitable than the DPS, but that’s all up to you!

And no, the fox shock will not change the behaviour of the frame.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 5:15 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
As a heavy rider, the DPS is probably not your ideal shock, especially when paired with the Jeffsy given it’s very progressive suspension kinematics by nature. It’ll always feel harsh. Also, faster riders tend to ride a stiffer setup as speed helps dampen things as you’re skipping over many of the compressions/bumps you’d otherwise hit if you where going slow, which is why slower riders tend to ride a softer suspension setup and many of these racers get away with running 5 tokens and 300psi... that and their lines are more precise of course.

If you’re going to upgrade the shock on the Jeffsy I too personally recommend you go with something more suitable than the DPS, but that’s all up to you!

And no, the fox shock will not change the behaviour of the frame.

Thanks for the explanation.
When I wrote "change the behaviour of the frame" what I really meant is "how the dps shock works with the nature of the suspension kinematics", but I didn't have the correct words.
I'll think about all the suggestions.
My only concern with a coil shock is the bob when pedalling: I do alpine trails too, sometimes with 1200/1400 D+ and I'd really like to lock the shock.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 5:45 Quote
The bearings in the rocker arm of my Jeffsy (AL 2020) felt very notchy when rotating them while they were still in the rocker arm, so I decided to replace them. However, after removing the old bearings they felt perfect; any idea what could cause this?

The new bearings feel perfect inside the rocker arm too, but I'm kind of puzzled how the difference in feeling in the old bearings is so large.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 5:49 Quote
effemmeffe wrote:
Thanks for the explanation.
When I wrote "change the behaviour of the frame" what I really meant is "how the dps shock works with the nature of the suspension kinematics", but I didn't have the correct words.
I'll think about all the suggestions.
My only concern with a coil shock is the bob when pedalling: I do alpine trails too, sometimes with 1200/1400 D+ and I'd really like to lock the shock.

Coil may bob some, but can be bought with a climb switch so it shouldn’t be noticeable.

My suggestion for Topaz and X2 is that they are both air shocks and highly custom tuneable. You can get that initial support, but also dial in a more compliant ride if you want.

No shock is going to change the frame kinematic, but some shocks are better matched for Jeffsy’s progressive leverage curve than others.

I had a RS Deluxe rt3 on my Jeffsy, and my son has a DPS, there really isn’t a lick of difference between them to be honest. But the X2 I put on my bike now it like a revelation. The bike has come alive. A friend rides with a Topaz mated to his Jeffsy and he swears by that too.

Both have effective climbing switches, and ways to tune the initial support to really eliminate/minimize pedal bobbing.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 6:13 Quote
qrealm wrote:
The bearings in the rocker arm of my Jeffsy (AL 2020) felt very notchy when rotating them while they were still in the rocker arm, so I decided to replace them. However, after removing the old bearings they felt perfect; any idea what could cause this?

The new bearings feel perfect inside the rocker arm too, but I'm kind of puzzled how the difference in feeling in the old bearings is so large.

I have one like that as well. Curious to hear responses as to why.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 6:45 Quote
Supermikhailmtb wrote:
qrealm wrote:

I have one like that as well. Curious to hear responses as to why.

Could be some faulty batches of bearings, or maybe they weren't seated probably and the uneven load made them feel notchy?

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 7:17 Quote
As the linkage bearings rotate only a little amount, some 20° or so, it could be that the bearing balls have worn from those parts slightly and there is a noticeable "notch" where the bearing balls have sat. When you remove the bearing and rotate it to some completely different point and without any load, the small notches aren't felt anymore... Not sure if this is the case, but would sound sensible by quickly thinking...

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
qrealm wrote:

Exactly the same thing happened to me awhile back. I definitely didn’t understand that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009357
Mobile Version of Website