YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
Upgrade to a beefier enduro bike... or get a DH rig?

Right now I have a 2019 jeffsy with a 150 mm Cane creek helm mk2 and a CC DBCoil IL. I have ridden the absolute piss out of this thing. Anywhere from the daily mellow XC rides in my home town of Cincinnati, to epic days in Pisgah NC, or blasting down the mountain in Snowshoe,WV. This bike seems to do it all and I have never really felt that I was under biked. That is until I started visiting Snowshoe more frequently.

So now I am in a predicament.... well sort of. Id like to start enduro racing and I feel like with my current setup that this bike is plenty capable. I have read where people bump the fork travel to 160mm and slack out the geo with angled headsets/offset bushings. So with that said I don't really see the point of upgrading to a full on enduro bike as there probably ins't a huge difference between my bike now and something like the capra (Please enlighten me if I am wrong) Not to mention I may only do a few races a year, sorta depends on COVID.. ​Ever since i started riding park I can't stop thinking about having a DH rig. As I said the only place where I have ever felt under biked is at a bike park.(Snowshoe, Windrock).

I probably answered my own question, but essentially just looking for some feedback. The jeffsy is definitely a quiver killer, so I feel like getting myself a DH rig would be a good move considering that I will going to Windrock and snowshoe a bunch this year. Oh and then i can do some DH races too Wink

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 19:28 Quote
business-casual wrote:

Right now I have a 2019 jeffsy with a 150 mm Cane creek helm mk2 and a CC DBCoil IL. I have ridden the absolute piss out of this thing. Anywhere from the daily mellow XC rides in my home town of Cincinnati, to epic days in Pisgah NC, or blasting down the mountain in Snowshoe,WV. This bike seems to do it all and I have never really felt that I was under biked. That is until I started visiting Snowshoe more frequently.

So now I am in a predicament.... well sort of. Id like to start enduro racing and I feel like with my current setup that this bike is plenty capable. I have read where people bump the fork travel to 160mm and slack out the geo with angled headsets/offset bushings. So with that said I don't really see the point of upgrading to a full on enduro bike as there probably ins't a huge difference between my bike now and something like the capra (Please enlighten me if I am wrong) Not to mention I may only do a few races a year, sorta depends on COVID.. ​Ever since i started riding park I can't stop thinking about having a DH rig. As I said the only place where I have ever felt under biked is at a bike park.(Snowshoe, Windrock).

I probably answered my own question, but essentially just looking for some feedback. The jeffsy is definitely a quiver killer, so I feel like getting myself a DH rig would be a good move considering that I will going to Windrock and snowshoe a bunch this year. Oh and then i can do some DH races too Wink

I doubt you will see a significant improvement going to the Capra. It will be a little more capable than the jeffsy in the bigger stuff but much less capable in the more mellow stuff.
My vote would be for the tues and play with the 160mm fork on the jeffsy... it's only a new air shaft.

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 20:53 Quote
13Mcfly wrote:
business-casual wrote:

I doubt you will see a significant improvement going to the Capra. It will be a little more capable than the jeffsy in the bigger stuff but much less capable in the more mellow stuff.
My vote would be for the tues and play with the 160mm fork on the jeffsy... it's only a new air shaft.

I have been able to ride around a parking lot on a capra. While that is not a great test, it honestly didn't feel that much different from my jeffsy.

As far as bumping the fork to 160mm would that have a huge impact on handling? Stock fork was 140mm.

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 22:20 Quote
business-casual wrote:

Keep tbe Jeffsy; learn to send it! Getting to know your bike is more valuable than upgrading (especially a frame)!

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 1:49 Quote
Hi guys,

Can you help me about the sizing of jeffsy's ?

I'm 1m79 and 84 cm leg length. I have an enduro use (some races), some summer days in bike parks but I have the feeling those big enduro bikes (specially with the fox 38 ) are too big for my 68 kg (150 lbs). So I'm looking at the Jeffsy's, planning to muscle it (160mm fork, angleset/bushing).

I ride in the rocky trails of south of France. I like stable bikes.

With more travel and more head angle I will reduce the reach, won't I ?

So, a XL jeffsy wouldn't fit me ? Or definitly to big ?

Thank you

Cheers

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
code26 wrote:
business-casual wrote:

Keep tbe Jeffsy; learn to send it! Getting to know your bike is more valuable than upgrading (especially a frame)!

I agree. Im definitely not riding the bike to its fullest capacity. I had this conversation with my buddy who races and he basically told me the same thing. Each Season that ive ridden the bike i feel like im unlocking more performance. I don't think upgrading to a different bike would make me any better, but was just worried about being under biked for some events, but i suppose if I had the skill and good line choices id be good.

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 2:23 Quote
Hi,

I'm really torn between the jeffsy 29 and the propain Tyee 29.

The geometry are pretty close and I don't think the frame is that heavier on a Tyee.

Anyone tried both to tell me if the pedaling ability are really different or close ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 2:30 Quote
I like the look of the Tyee, and reviews are good, but the rear suspension looks busy, with many moving parts, and I can see dirt and rocks going in and grinding the paint (if not worst) very easily...
But maybe this is not a real concern.
Both are in stock?

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 5:32 Quote
Both are NOT in stock Smile

I have another bike until they come in stock. A Tyee would arrive in september with options I want Eek

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 16:08 Quote
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p3pb20307200/p3pb20307200.jpg

Just finished doing a custom paint job. First time using a spray gun and taking apart a bike completely.
Converted the pike to 160mm
Added the Canecreek DB inline Coil shock
And a wolftooth angle headset 1 degree to slacken it out

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 4:44 Quote
jeremiahg210 wrote:

Just finished doing a custom paint job. First time using a spray gun and taking apart a bike completely.

Good job. How did you do the YT logo? I'm thinking of doing mine a dark matte army green. Have you ridden it since going slacker?

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 10:43 Quote
jeremiahg210 wrote:

Wow man that looks really good! I cant decide if i like the red Pike lowers or if the RS silver Pike would look better.. Either way that's really cool! I was wanting to do something like that with mine. I have the white Jeffsy from 2019 and i would love it if the whole rear triangle was blacked out.. Or maybe just the rocker link in black for starters even lol

And to your question about how she rides with the slacker head angle, -1* with a 160 fork puts mine right around 64 degrees and i have noticed no negative side effects really. just a slightly lighter front wheel when your climbing up steeps. I am definitely happy with this setup now! Just needs a better paint job

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 11:07 Quote
Tommy-P87 wrote:
jeremiahg210 wrote:

Good job. How did you do the YT logo? I'm thinking of doing mine a dark matte army green. Have you ridden it since going slacker?

I did the YT logo with some removable vinyl and my girlfriends cricut machine to get the letters out then just painted in that area. I did the same for the pike. I also used the cricut machine to cut vinyl circles to cover the bearing holes before painting.
Also I didn’t notice anything really negative with the new head set and installed it pretty easily with a board and mallet. So far so good with everything.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 11:09 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
jeremiahg210 wrote:

Wow man that looks really good! I cant decide if i like the red Pike lowers or if the RS silver Pike would look better.. Either way that's really cool! I was wanting to do something like that with mine. I have the white Jeffsy from 2019 and i would love it if the whole rear triangle was blacked out.. Or maybe just the rocker link in black for starters even lol

And to your question about how she rides with the slacker head angle, -1* with a 160 fork puts mine right around 64 degrees and i have noticed no negative side effects really. just a slightly lighter front wheel when your climbing up steeps. I am definitely happy with this setup now! Just needs a better paint job

Yeah I was stuck in the middle of doing them red or silver. But over all happy with how it turned out. Pain in ass to paint them though

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 9:08 Quote
Shuttle laps on some pretty gnarly dh trails. This bike handled it like a champ! I feel like the -1* Works angle set allows you to charge a little harder without the bike feeling sketchy. I also noticed cornering felt better probably due to the bottom bracket height being a little lower. All in all, this bike is perfect for someone looking to progress their skills from beginner to intermediate and beyond.

Shuttle laps BOC in Ponca Arkansas

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011840
Mobile Version of Website