YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 7:05 Quote
I just slapped a DVO Topaz on my 2019 CF Comp yesterday evening, and it's a huge improvement already but interested to hear how other people have theirs setup. Anyone with a Topaz on here that can tell me how they liked spacers, etc?

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 0:20 Quote
billirwin wrote:
I just slapped a DVO Topaz on my 2019 CF Comp yesterday evening, and it's a huge improvement already but interested to hear how other people have theirs setup. Anyone with a Topaz on here that can tell me how they liked spacers, etc?

I have a Topaz on my 2019 CF Comp (albeit a 27.5) heres how mine is setup:
Rider weight: 168lb
Shock pressure: 180psi
Bladder pressure: 190psi
2 spacers in the positive chamber
0 spacers in the negative chamber

Been meaning to try a spacer in the negative chamber but havent got round to it yet.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
JamesyBear wrote:
billirwin wrote:

I have a Topaz on my 2019 CF Comp (albeit a 27.5) heres how mine is setup:
Rider weight: 168lb
Shock pressure: 180psi
Bladder pressure: 190psi
2 spacers in the positive chamber
0 spacers in the negative chamber

Been meaning to try a spacer in the negative chamber but havent got round to it yet.

Thanks! I'm just about to start playing with spacers. Definitely digging this shock but only had it out twice so far.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 14:34 Quote
Looking to improve the rear suspension on my Jeffsy. I have some conflicting thoughts.

Some people say that going coil or removing the air shock volume spacers fit the bike's progressive suspension design. But in this review ze germans say the opposite for more mid-stroke support:
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/yt-jeffsy-cf-pro-2020-review/

I have tried the stock RS deluxe RCT3 (extended to 55mm travel) with and without the air volume spacer and actually find it better with the spacer and open compression. I had to usually run "pedal" compression setting without the spacer to get enough support for the bike to feel playful/poppy.

Is a coil really better or should I stick to air? I like the Cane Creek DB IL for how simple it seems or a RS SuperDeluxe Coil. I am not racing so reservoir is not really needed, I usually stop and chill to rest.

I know it will come down to personal preference in the end. I am heavy 185lbs/85kg and ride fast and like jumps/drops (e.g. will clear almost all Aline)

a pic to make the question stand out (from 2019 CF Pro stock has Works -1 angleset, 150mm Lyrik ultimate, new e13 180mm dropper, maxxis DH/EXO+ tires, oval ring, ESI super chunky grips)

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
ckubler wrote:
Looking to improve the rear suspension on my Jeffsy. I have some conflicting thoughts.

Some people say that going coil or removing the air shock volume spacers fit the bike's progressive suspension design. But in this review ze germans say the opposite for more mid-stroke support:

I have tried the stock RS deluxe RCT3 (extended to 55mm travel) with and without the air volume spacer and actually find it better with the spacer and open compression. I had to usually run "pedal" compression setting without the spacer to get enough support for the bike to feel playful/poppy.

Is a coil really better or should I stick to air? I like the Cane Creek DB IL for how simple it seems or a RS SuperDeluxe Coil. I am not racing so reservoir is not really needed, I usually stop and chill to rest.

I know it will come down to personal preference in the end. I am heavy 185lbs/85kg and ride fast and like jumps/drops (e.g. will clear almost all Aline)

I wound up putting a megneg on my Jeffsy. It lets you run more pressure and still have good small bump compliance. Check out the thread about it in the SRAM forum to see if it's for you.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 17:04 Quote
I put a fox X2 factory shock on mine, it’s made a world of difference. My Bro runs a DVO topaz and that is ace as well.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 17:54 Quote
Sell it and get a capra. Air shocks work sweet no spacers unless park. You want the Big dick. Coils are nice but travel trumps all. No need to improve anything, and you are used to the progression curve already. No shock gonna change you to big travel.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 19:54 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
Sell it and get a capra. Air shocks work sweet no spacers unless park. You want the Big dick. Coils are nice but travel trumps all. No need to improve anything, and you are used to the progression curve already. No shock gonna change you to big travel.

Never would do that, I already had a Capra and although it straightlined like a motherf it climbed like shit and took way too much energy to pedal around all day. The Jeffsy is a good balance and enough travel I believe, its just making sure that travel is efficient and plays well with my riding style.

How come some people say coil and some say megneg (complete opposites)? How come some people say remove air can volume spacers and some say add more? its kind of weird to me. I need to get another spacer and test for myself although to be honest I find it quite hard to feel the difference and its very track dependent.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 22:44 Quote
ckubler wrote:
nematon785 wrote:

Never would do that, I already had a Capra and although it straightlined like a motherf it climbed like shit and took way too much energy to pedal around all day. The Jeffsy is a good balance and enough travel I believe, its just making sure that travel is efficient and plays well with my riding style.

How come some people say coil and some say megneg (complete opposites)? How come some people say remove air can volume spacers and some say add more? its kind of weird to me. I need to get another spacer and test for myself although to be honest I find it quite hard to feel the difference and its very track dependent.

If you read what RMR writes in the megneg thread you will see that a coil shock and megneg are not really opposites. Both are a more linear force curve than a normal air spring. Sometimes a megneg isn't recommended for progressive frames because you have to run more air pressure to take advantage of it, and it can make it hard to achieve full travel. If you are running stock aircan with no positive spacers this may be an issue for you. I was personally running 2 positive spacers on my Jeffsy before going to Megneg. I took those out and added 40 PSI and it feels good, think about adding a positive spacer back actually cause it bottoms out a bit easy even with added psi. The small bump compliance from the bigger negative chamber feels great, as does added mid stroke support.

If you read through the 20 pages of the megneg thread you will definitely learn alot about air spring kinematics.

Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 15:37 Quote
Yeah I have to read up on the Megneg, for some reason I thought it was just a smaller air can but obviously the name implies mega negative. My bad.

HooperAK wrote:
Sometimes a megneg isn't recommended for progressive frames because you have to run more air pressure to take advantage of it, and it can make it hard to achieve full travel. If you are running stock aircan with no positive spacers this may be an issue for you

I think this might be true for lighter or slower riders, but heavier fast riders should be ok as most of the change in the Megneg is at the beginning and mid of the stroke. Similar to running more pressure due to no positive spacers (to get similar bottom out control)

I am heavy and ride fairly fast, I will give the megneg a try! thanks

PS what is the thread?

Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
ckubler wrote:

a pic to make the question stand out (from 2019 CF Pro stock has Works -1 angleset, 150mm Lyrik ultimate, new e13 180mm dropper, maxxis DH/EXO+ tires, oval ring, ESI super chunky grips)

ABSOLUTELY go with a coil shock. I'm also running the CC DB IL and have ZERO regrets. The climb switch is probably one of the best I've experienced. It's the best upgrade I've done to a bike in a while. Well, besides my Capra with a coil. You can actually still fit a Fox SLS spring on it (internet info says you can't but it will) and it will then be lighter than a Fox X2 air shock with much much better performance. I would NEVER switch back to air..
P.S. A Jeffsy running a coil shock absolutely SHREDS A-Line! I liked it better than on a DH rig.

Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 16:17 Quote
ckubler wrote:
Yeah I have to read up on the Megneg, for some reason I thought it was just a smaller air can but obviously the name implies mega negative. My bad.

HooperAK wrote:
Sometimes a megneg isn't recommended for progressive frames because you have to run more air pressure to take advantage of it, and it can make it hard to achieve full travel. If you are running stock aircan with no positive spacers this may be an issue for you

I think this might be true for lighter or slower riders, but heavier fast riders should be ok as most of the change in the Megneg is at the beginning and mid of the stroke. Similar to running more pressure due to no positive spacers (to get similar bottom out control)

I am heavy and ride fairly fast, I will give the megneg a try! thanks

PS what is the thread?

Yeah I am a bigger rider, I've been pretty happy with MegNeg. I think coil is probably ideal for Jeffsy (haven't tried one yet though) but that's a much more expensive upgrade and less tuneable/heavier! RMR seems to be an expert on bike suspension and is a big fan of megneg on almost any bike.

The megneg thread has tons of info.
https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=213381&pagenum=1

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 5:53 Quote
This happened last year and YT sent me a 2020 jeffsy frame, but I wanted to share so you guys know what to do with your broken frames.

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
code26 wrote:

ABSOLUTELY go with a coil shock. I'm also running the CC DB IL and have ZERO regrets. The climb switch is probably one of the best I've experienced. It's the best upgrade I've done to a bike in a while. Well, besides my Capra with a coil. You can actually still fit a Fox SLS spring on it (internet info says you can't but it will) and it will then be lighter than a Fox X2 air shock with much much better performance. I would NEVER switch back to air..
P.S. A Jeffsy running a coil shock absolutely SHREDS A-Line! I liked it better than on a DH rig.

Can I ask you how much you weigh and what SLS spring you got?

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
ghsteen wrote:
This happened last year and YT sent me a 2020 jeffsy frame, but I wanted to share so you guys know what to do with your broken frames.

Lol, that’s actually kind of rad!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011045
Mobile Version of Website