YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 12:29 Quote
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post this but this thread seems to get the most activity. I placed a preorder for a Jeffsy 29 Core 2. I was torn between this and the Meta TR but what won me over was the Fox suspension rather than Rockshox 35 at the sub-$3K price point. I know YT had some quality issues a few years ago with it being somewhat hit-or-miss on frame durability. Has this largely been recitified? I also did too much reading and got myself afraid of buying a bike with 'less-than-current' geometry (i.e. the Jeffsy's 66 degree HA versus the Meta's 64.5 degree HA) but coming off a 2015 Enduro with a 67 degree HA, the Jeffsy is still slacker. I am mostly riding techy trails with short punchy climbs and lots of rocks but do go to Highland a dozen or so times a year. Does the Jeffsy seem like the right bike for me? Any of you regret getting one and wish you went Meta (or whatever else) instead?

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 19:07 Quote
hidperf wrote:
scz4 wrote:

- The E13 chain guide is rubbish and the plast guide is just flapping about. Can anyone recommend a replacement please. I['ll be fitting an oval chainring if that changes anything. ISCG05 fitment? This one perhaps? https://uk.oneupcomponents.com/products/chain-guide-iscg05-v2

Thanks in advance.

G

I switched to the Absolute Black chain guide/bash guard. It's a very well-built piece. I also run an Absolute Black oval.
https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-bashguide-iscg05/

The OneUp does lack a bash guard. Never split a chain yet but I do wish I had one just for insurance reasons.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 21:20 Quote
code26 wrote:
hidperf wrote:
scz4 wrote:

- The E13 chain guide is rubbish and the plast guide is just flapping about. Can anyone recommend a replacement please. I['ll be fitting an oval chainring if that changes anything. ISCG05 fitment? This one perhaps? https://uk.oneupcomponents.com/products/chain-guide-iscg05-v2

Thanks in advance.

G

I switched to the Absolute Black chain guide/bash guard. It's a very well-built piece. I also run an Absolute Black oval.
https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-bashguide-iscg05/

The OneUp does lack a bash guard. Never split a chain yet but I do wish I had one just for insurance reasons.

The OneUp V2 has a bash guard. https://www.oneupcomponents.com/collections/chainguide/products/bashguide-v2-iscg05

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 23:07 Quote
mca896 wrote:
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post this but this thread seems to get the most activity. I placed a preorder for a Jeffsy 29 Core 2. I was torn between this and the Meta TR but what won me over was the Fox suspension rather than Rockshox 35 at the sub-$3K price point. I know YT had some quality issues a few years ago with it being somewhat hit-or-miss on frame durability. Has this largely been recitified? I also did too much reading and got myself afraid of buying a bike with 'less-than-current' geometry (i.e. the Jeffsy's 66 degree HA versus the Meta's 64.5 degree HA) but coming off a 2015 Enduro with a 67 degree HA, the Jeffsy is still slacker. I am mostly riding techy trails with short punchy climbs and lots of rocks but do go to Highland a dozen or so times a year. Does the Jeffsy seem like the right bike for me? Any of you regret getting one and wish you went Meta (or whatever else) instead?

Its funny. You have the exact same debate as I had! The exact one!
I too ordered a Jeffesy core 2 and only then started to debate about cancelling and getting a Meta TR instead.
It was a tough one, but in the end that what I did.
I rode them both and liked them both but the Meta gave me a feeling of confidence and it was very natural for me to keep a good riding posture with it.. got me hooked basically.

The problem for me (as for you it seems) was that for the same price, the spec on the Ride build of the Meta is miles lesser than on the Jeffsey core 2, but I decided that:
The geometry of the Meta, the great Commencal's costumer service, the knowing that I'm getting the top line frame and not an Aluminium variation of the carbon frame (which felt like I'm compromising even though I prefer Aluminium), the feeling that I will not want to feel like I'm riding an "outdated" geo bike (sounds stupid, but I'm beeing honest with myself when I spend a lot of money), the supposebly robust and durable frames.. all of those got me thinking that maybe if I will add some money for the Essential build, I will eliminate the factor which blocked me from getting the Meta, and so I did (:

Ans still- The Jeffesy has amazing spec for the price (similar or even better than the Meta Eesential), a lot of reviews and croud, and a great all in all shipping package with all the tools needed.

Oh- 1 more thing is that I felt like the Jeffesy is a lot more plush due to its suspension beeing more progressive probably.. which was nicer but could be just the suspension setup as well.

For me though, I understood with myself after a lot of Facebook posts and debates that I cared a lot more about the feeling of a solid, aggressive, modern geo bike and so I cancelled the Jeffsey and ordered the Meta TR Essential.

The Jeffesy is awesome, still and either one of them will be great (:

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 5:53 Quote
tom755tom wrote:
Its funny. You have the exact same debate as I had! The exact one!
I too ordered a Jeffesy core 2 and only then started to debate about cancelling and getting a Meta TR instead.
It was a tough one, but in the end that what I did.
I rode them both and liked them both but the Meta gave me a feeling of confidence and it was very natural for me to keep a good riding posture with it.. got me hooked basically.

The problem for me (as for you it seems) was that for the same price, the spec on the Ride build of the Meta is miles lesser than on the Jeffsey core 2, but I decided that:
The geometry of the Meta, the great Commencal's costumer service, the knowing that I'm getting the top line frame and not an Aluminium variation of the carbon frame (which felt like I'm compromising even though I prefer Aluminium), the feeling that I will not want to feel like I'm riding an "outdated" geo bike (sounds stupid, but I'm beeing honest with myself when I spend a lot of money), the supposebly robust and durable frames.. all of those got me thinking that maybe if I will add some money for the Essential build, I will eliminate the factor which blocked me from getting the Meta, and so I did (:

Ans still- The Jeffesy has amazing spec for the price (similar or even better than the Meta Eesential), a lot of reviews and croud, and a great all in all shipping package with all the tools needed.

Oh- 1 more thing is that I felt like the Jeffesy is a lot more plush due to its suspension beeing more progressive probably.. which was nicer but could be just the suspension setup as well.

For me though, I understood with myself after a lot of Facebook posts and debates that I cared a lot more about the feeling of a solid, aggressive, modern geo bike and so I cancelled the Jeffsey and ordered the Meta TR Essential.

The Jeffesy is awesome, still and either one of them will be great (:

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate that. I looked some more last night and decided if I do choose to go with the Meta, It will be the Essential, so i can still get into the suspension I want and also even get SLX over SRAM NX. A few more days of pondering, googling, and making pro/con lists!

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 7:45 Quote
I would consider the type of riding you are doing as well. Slacker doesn't always mean better if you aren't focused solely on dh performance.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:49 Quote
notsosikmik wrote:
I would consider the type of riding you are doing as well. Slacker doesn't always mean better if you aren't focused solely on dh performance.

That's sort of the internal argument I am having with myself. Do I want to just point and shoot and let the geo/suspension take over, or do I want to be more nimble and agile? Or am I really splitting hairs over a degree and a half HA difference.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
mca896 wrote:
notsosikmik wrote:

That's sort of the internal argument I am having with myself. Do I want to just point and shoot and let the geo/suspension take over, or do I want to be more nimble and agile? Or am I really splitting hairs over a degree and a half HA difference.

Just from my personal prespective, I can state that while the Meta has a slacker HA, the geometry of it in general feels to me pretty spot on, and actually both my friend and I were damn surprised with how easy it is to climb with it and flick it around if needed, and I had no issues with tight technical sections. Maybe where the HA can be a disadventege, the more confident feeling makes up for it or something.. But then again, the Jeffsey felt pretty awesome too! I dont know.. Its a tough science here. Geek

I assume that given a tight enough trail, There will be a slight advantage to the YT but probably a marginal one.
If you can try and ride them both I would strongly recommend it. If I were not riding them both I wouldn't have the confidence to cancel the YT and go for the Meta.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 12:22 Quote
So... Bit of future what if question....

I have a Jeffsey Core 2 on order for my son. Supposed to deliver April 22. Given that the Jeffesy is now a 3 year old design, I am worried that YT will come out with a new version shortly after we get it...

Considering canceling and looking around or just waiting for a newer model. Anyone have any thoughts around how long before we could expect a new Jeffsey?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 12:44 Quote
I bought a Rockshox coil ultimate for my 2020 jeffsy. But what size RockShox bushings do i need?
In the exploted drawing Jeffsy 2019 it says 8x20mm and 8x40mm.
Or is it 10x20 bij 10x40?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
Shorthorn wrote:

I have a Jeffsey Core 2 on order for my son. Supposed to deliver April 22. Given that the Jeffesy is now a 3 year old design, I am worried that YT will come out with a new version shortly after we get it...

Considering canceling and looking around or just waiting for a newer model. Anyone have any thoughts around how long before we could expect a new Jeffsey?

Do you want your son to ride or keep on waiting for the next best bike?

I guess he would prefer to ride this great bike than wait another year. Or two.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 5:31 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Shorthorn wrote:

Thanks TibZ... I agree, he wants to get riding the thing.. I guess my point was if I am waiting till April anyway, I would hate to see a new improved model come out in May kinda thing.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 6:17 Quote
Shorthorn wrote:
TibZ wrote:
Shorthorn wrote:

Thanks TibZ... I agree, he wants to get riding the thing.. I guess my point was if I am waiting till April anyway, I would hate to see a new improved model come out in May kinda thing.

Yes sorry for my tone, that was a bit rude. These days the situation is already pretty complicated and this is only gonna get worse (shortages, prices increase etc.). So I would not cancel this order. What matters the most imho is to have fun on the trail, now, because who knows what tomorrow has in store, and he sure will do so with a Jeffsy. Any of them.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 6:25 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Shorthorn wrote:
TibZ wrote:

Yes sorry for my tone, that was a bit rude. These days the situation is already pretty complicated and this is only gonna get worse (shortages, prices increase etc.). So I would not cancel this order. What matters the most imho is to have fun on the trail, now, because who knows what tomorrow has in store, and he sure will do so with a Jeffsy. Any of them.

One more thing to consider is that even if the worst happens and a new Jeffsy is announced the day that your order arrives it’s likely to be another 8-12 months before that new model is actually available for delivery. The Capra was announced earlier this year and I think they’re not shipping until next year.

The Jeffsy has much more up to date geometry than the outgoing Capra so I think it’s a fair bet that it won’t be replaced soon, and even if it is you’ll still have a bike with good geo that can last your son for a long time.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Shorthorn wrote:
TibZ wrote:

Very true TibZ... Thank you!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016637
Mobile Version of Website