Shoulders hurt on new bike

PB Forum :: Beginners
Shoulders hurt on new bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 27, 2016 at 11:31 Quote
I'd like some input from you guys. I just recently got out of my Giant Talon and picked up a new Crave Comp. was tossed up between that and the Honzo AL but based on where I plan to use my bike most everyone told me the Honzo was not the bike for me.

My Talon was a Large frame, the guys at the shop I bought the bike told me I should be in an XL frame (I am 6'1") because in the Large I will be cramped.

After my first ride (on pavement for 20 minutes) I could feel my shoulders getting tired, as if I was reaching too much. So I moved the saddle forward, the store also changed to a shorter stem.

That evening I went on a usual hour long ride and towards the end my entire upper body hurt, wrists, elbows, shoulders, upper, lower back and between the shoulder blades. I went back to the store and they helped me get the saddle and post height to where it should be for me.

The guys at the store also told me that this Crave comp is a little more aggressive stance vs the Talon I was riding for 4 years and that my body will get used to it.

I took the bike out for 40 minutes and the shoulders felt tired but was more comfortable than before, they also recommended that a riser bar might be the final adjustment.

Not having the experience with a more "aggressive" bike I am curious to know if this is accurate? Will my body get used to riding this after some time? I guess I don't want to be stuck with a bike I can't ride because it causes discomfort. Thoughts?

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 15:22 Quote
This is a hard one, on the one hand you always need a few rides to get used to a new bike, on the other it shouldn't be hurting you. What you really need to do is try a Large frame and compare it to this one. What's good is that you are not hurting anymore and it's just tiring, but before putting on a riser bar I'd suggest moving all of the spacers under your stem, that way you get a preview on what a rider bar could do for you.

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 21:35 Quote
Kickaxe wrote:
This is a hard one, on the one hand you always need a few rides to get used to a new bike, on the other it shouldn't be hurting you. What you really need to do is try a Large frame and compare it to this one. What's good is that you are not hurting anymore and it's just tiring, but before putting on a riser bar I'd suggest moving all of the spacers under your stem, that way you get a preview on what a rider bar could do for you.

I'll give that a try. I think there might only be one spacer above the stem.

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 23:31 Quote
Personally if I was in the same situation I'd be testing another bike since my body is telling me something ain't right, specially if it was fitted in a shop.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008883
Mobile Version of Website