Help - having problem with Shimano XT 1x11

PB Forum :: 29ers
Help - having problem with Shimano XT 1x11
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2016 at 20:32 Quote
I started using the XT 1x11 (30T chainring x 42T cog) on my new rig 2 months ago having previously used the XT 2x10. It's my first 1x group-set.

My issue is - gear shifting is very slow. When approaching a steep climb, I tried shifting 4 cogs at once - several meters before the climb. Halfway up I stalled and realise it only shifted 2 cogs while my shifter already max out. It happens many times and always on single track trails. Never have this problem on XC trails.

It really frustrating as I didn't have this problem on the same trail using my previous 2x10 setup. I have seen many riders using SRAM 1x11 on the same trail and don't seem to have a problem. Should I change to SRAM 1x11 (not sure if the same problem will happen) or go back to Shimano 2x11?

Posted: May 28, 2016 at 20:50 Quote
TropicalBikes wrote:
I started using the XT 1x11 (30T chainring x 42T cog) on my new rig 2 months ago having previously used the XT 2x10. It's my first 1x group-set.

My issue is - gear shifting is very slow. When approaching a steep climb, I tried shifting 4 cogs at once - several meters before the climb. Halfway up I stalled and realise it only shifted 2 cogs while my shifter already max out. It happens many times and always on single track trails. Never have this problem on XC trails.

It really frustrating as I didn't have this problem on the same trail using my previous 2x10 setup. I have seen many riders using SRAM 1x11 on the same trail and don't seem to have a problem. Should I change to SRAM 1x11 (not sure if the same problem will happen) or go back to Shimano 2x11?

Possible the rear der is a little out of tune. Try increasing you cable tension. This should help pulling the chain up into those easy climbing gears. Also possible check if you b limit screw is set properly it might be too close to the cassette and when trying to get into the bigger climbing gears it is rubbing onto the cassette itself.

When you say your shifter is maxed out do you mean you that your shifter has clicked all 10 times and should be in the easiest gear and you still are not there? If so then you low limit screw is crazy out of whack.

Posted: Jun 2, 2016 at 20:29 Quote
I'm running a 1x11 XT drivetrain on my Krampus, and it shifts multiple gears very effectively. I can literally go from gear 3 to 1 mid climb, under full load and it'll shift without any problems. Also, consider the fact that the chainline on Krampus' aren't very good in the climbing gears. Point being, the 1x11 XT group works pretty well, so I doubt swapping to a SRAM group would resolve your problem. Not to mention, it would be terribly uneconomical and that you may not like the tactile feel of SRAM.

2x systems are (for obvious reasons) very effective at dropping your ratio when faced with steep climbs, but from your description--you're claiming that you used to shift 4 gears on a 2x10 XT system and it was better than the 1x11?

Might be personal preference, but I feel like my 1x11 shifts much smoother than my old 1x10. And as for reliability, they both shift the way they're supposed to (based on how I manage my load output and timing).

Either way, it sounds like you may just be unfamiliar with the 1x11, or, the system needs some additional tuning (as mentioned by Desertrat).

Also pointed out by Desertrat, could you clarify the "4 clicks = 2 shifts, maxed out". Sounds like the group isn't working as intended...

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 at 3:09 Quote
Hey mate. Since your groupset is new it may be down to new cable stretching as your having trouble shifting up the cassette. Shift into smallest cog and upshift one click. If it grinds or doesn't shift then the cable has stretched which is perfectly normal.
The easiest way to get your head around what the barrel adjuster at the derailleur does is that you turn it the direction you want the derailleur to shift quicker. In this case toward the wheel and therefore put more tension on the cable. Do this after you have clicked it up one click and whilst turning the cranks until it changes up. Now recheck all your gears both up and down and adjust the barrel adjuster the way you want it to shift.
Remember that a new chain and cassette take a while to 'mesh' together and will shift better after time.
Ive got 1×11 xt and xtr and yeah the xtr is better but the xt is pretty bloody good. Personally i will only use shimano. Ive had sram stuff and find shimano more reliable. But thats only my personal preference.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006814
Mobile Version of Website