SRAM Guide RS stuck lever

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
SRAM Guide RS stuck lever
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 15:59 Quote
Took my bike to the LBS two days ago because both Guide ultimate brakes, front and rear were sticking. The chief mechanic is going to warranty the brakes. The minute that I have the bike back home, the brakes are coming off and going up for sale as brand new. It is too bad because I actually really liked the feel of the ultimates in the beginning.
I have taken a dirt sample too many times on my mtb and mx bikes and do not wan to to risk brake failure whatsoever. Going back to shimano xtr / saint!! I will most likely replace my sram drivetrain soon as well. There is nothing like shimano quality and reliability.

Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 8:33 Quote
gfox777 wrote:
Took my bike to the LBS two days ago because both Guide ultimate brakes, front and rear were sticking. The chief mechanic is going to warranty the brakes. The minute that I have the bike back home, the brakes are coming off and going up for sale as brand new. It is too bad because I actually really liked the feel of the ultimates in the beginning.
I have taken a dirt sample too many times on my mtb and mx bikes and do not wan to to risk brake failure whatsoever. Going back to shimano xtr / saint!! I will most likely replace my sram drivetrain soon as well. There is nothing like shimano quality and reliability.

I replaced my SRAM lever internals and I'm not concerned about brake failure at all. The sticking lever issue 1) did not reduce braking performance and 2) did not lock up the brakes (the rotors push back on the pads to allow your wheel to spin freely). The only issue I had was the levers not returning to the desired position. Not enough for me to switch braking systems. Though I still wish SRAM had issued a recall or provided the rebuild kits for very cheap, if not free.

Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 10:31 Quote
It did not lock the brakes 100% but the drag I had when my levers were sticky was horrible. The updated internals fixed my problems completely & have not experienced any issues since.

Use whatever product you like & SRAM deserves to lose a customer if they aren't happy with the product.

My next build will be on the new Code brakes.

Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 14:21 Quote
I had Zee's before. And had issues with consistency. Recently I had to use one on my gf's bike because her Guide had the slow lever problem. See also noticed the same inconsistency with Shimano.
I decided to upgrade my Dh-er to Codes RSC because overall much better feeling with SRAM then Shimano. Time will tell, but I'm didn't dare to spend money on Saints.

Also we had two different levers that got sticky out of the 6 Guides we own. Those two sticky ones where 2yr+ old brakes that were btw never serviced untill then. They also never blocked or anything just very slow return and more friction in the pull.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2017 at 8:54 Quote
my guide rs's almost locked up on two rides, I had to stop and push pistons back with the rotor to keep going and not use them for the rest of the ride. The rear brake only, which I replaced with xt. Then the front started to act up and I can't wait to get some shimano's on the front. It's way to much work and time to deal with sram to fix their faulty product. I don't see why so many people complain about xt modulation, feels fine to me. Guides just feel mushier to me, I guess that's modulation? ha

Posted: Sep 28, 2017 at 12:37 Quote
Both front and rear Guide RSs stuck on the second time I had my brand new new Intense out and first time riding on a hot sunny day. Loved the feel of the brakes before that happened. They worked again once the bike was in the air conditioned house for a while. I can't believe sram didn't recall these and that Intense and it's dealers are still selling bikes with faulty brakes. Hopefully it'll be taken care of quickly under warranty.

O+
Posted: Oct 6, 2017 at 10:57 Quote
Has anyone reported this to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Looks like SRAM has recalled other brakes maybe they need someone to enter a complaint to do something about it.

https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMSPublic/Incidents/ReportIncident.aspx

Posted: Oct 21, 2017 at 10:25 Quote
The front Guide R on my Whyte G150 had this problem It took me over a year to work out what was going on because the issue was intermittent. It wasn't until we had a flush of hot weather back in June / July this year that it became a consistent problem, and a major issue when riding the bike. As soon as I made the connection between ambient temperature and the seizing brake lever, it was easy to replicate.

Anyway, I sent the brake back for warranty at the end of June this year. Then on Friday, 20th October, I finally heard back that SRAM UK warranty had refused to deal with the brakes as a warranty issue. Apparently I will get the brake back this coming week.

Does anyone know the best way to kick off and get some results regarding this? Is it just me that thinks it is outrageous to be kept waiting nearly 4 months to be told they are not going to resolve a known manufacturing fault?

Any contact numbers or email addresses would be useful as SRAM UK seem to hide behind the dealer network

Thanks

Steve

Edit: I have been in contact with SRAM who have been extremely helpful. It looks like the bike shop never actually sent the brake to them. The bike shop has been copied in on the correspondence but has not replied.

Posted: Oct 22, 2017 at 14:27 Quote
gravelrash wrote:
The front Guide R on my Whyte G150 had this problem It took me over a year to work out what was going on because the issue was intermittent. It wasn't until we had a flush of hot weather back in June / July this year that it became a consistent problem, and a major issue when riding the bike. As soon as I made the connection between ambient temperature and the seizing brake lever, it was easy to replicate.

Anyway, I sent the brake back for warranty at the end of June this year. Then on Friday, 20th October, I finally heard back that SRAM UK warranty had refused to deal with the brakes as a warranty issue. Apparently I will get the brake back this coming week.

Does anyone know the best way to kick off and get some results regarding this? Is it just me that thinks it is outrageous to be kept waiting nearly 4 months to be told they are not going to resolve a known manufacturing fault?

Any contact numbers or email addresses would be useful as SRAM UK seem to hide behind the dealer network

Thanks

Steve

That is total BS. SRAM US is warrantying them thru dealers. I had 3 sets warrantied. Less than a week for each pair.

Posted: Oct 28, 2017 at 1:39 Quote
MntnMan wrote:
gravelrash wrote:
The front Guide R on my Whyte G150 had this problem

Anyway, I sent the brake back for warranty at the end of June this year. Then on Friday, 20th October, I finally heard back that SRAM UK warranty had refused to deal with the brakes as a warranty issue.

Thanks

Steve

That is total BS. SRAM US is warrantying them thru dealers. I had 3 sets warrantied. Less than a week for each pair.

I know. I'm not happy.

Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 1:03 Quote
gravelrash wrote:

I have been in contact with SRAM who have been extremely helpful. It looks like the bike shop never actually sent the brake to them. The bike shop has been copied in on the correspondence but has not replied

Posted: Nov 10, 2017 at 6:51 Quote
I solved the problem by ripping the damn things off of the bike and slapping on some Hopes. They'll be sent in for warranty and will later reside on my girl's hardtail. Definitely be overkill but what the hell.

Posted: Nov 10, 2017 at 23:33 Quote
The 2nd generation lever internals are supposed to fix this sticky lever issue.

If you are unsure if you have 1st or 2nd gen you kan check the serial number under the caliper.
If the serial starts with 26T7 or higher, you have 2nd gen. If the serial starts with something lower than that, like for example 21T7, than you have 1st generation.

Posted: Dec 9, 2017 at 13:06 Quote
Schummy wrote:
Lever is returning slowly again & pads are dragging. Opened it up & found the center of the plunger had signs of galling, sanded them carefully so I don't destroy the o-rings. The plunger can now move freely in the bore with a little lubrication. I'm guessing the RSC will probably develop this problem too.

The raised portion in green highlight & not the o-rings

photo

Thanks for this!!!

I was just about to get my ride all set for our Christmas ride, and the rear caliper is completely frozen.
Wheel hardly turns. Looks like I have a project on my hands over the holidays.
Good find!!!

Posted: Dec 10, 2017 at 4:40 Quote
If the rear wheel is completely frozen then you might have to do a caliper rebuild as well. Check to see if the problem goes away by cooling the lever/master cylinder with an icepack. If it releases it's just a lever rebuild.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.040957
Mobile Version of Website