Biking Lifestyle Apparel: Men and Women

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Biking Lifestyle Apparel: Men and Women
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 10, 2016 at 12:58 Quote
To all riders, men and women:

I'm in the process of starting up a biking lifestyle clothing brand (The idea is streetwear that can be crossed over into bike clothing for pump tracks, dirt jumps, air domes, BMX riding, filming and trail building).

I'm a rider myself and I'm trying to get as much feedback as I can from other riders, so I can create some sick designs that are functional, high quality and that represents the sport we love. I've got a background in fashion, design and technology and I got my degree to specifically create apparel for biking.

So, I've got a couple of questions to help further the design process:

What do you feel is missing in your everyday clothing? Any specific features (breathability, vents, special pockets, comfort, innovative designs)?

Does your clothing rip in certain areas, snag in certain areas or wear out in certain areas?

What do you look for in your everyday clothing (Comfort, stretch, breathability, colours, graphics). What’s important to you in the overall design of the clothing?

What would you want to know about a clothing product before buying it?

Thank you so much for your help and if you have anything more to add I'm open to hearing what you have to say because this product is built for you guys Smile

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2016 at 16:31 Quote
Here's my input.

As a 5'9" woman with curves and slim waist, I find it near impossible to find mountain bike shorts that fit over my hips and don't have 5 inches of extra fabric for the waistline. I don't have "thunder-thighs" just don't fit in the "slim cut" category. There was a brand that used basically a motorbike boot strap as the waist closure. So, I'd buy a size larger than I need to fit loose like I like them, then had an awesome cinch at the waist to accommodate the "winter layer" at the beginning of the season, and the "slimmer" version that happens mid-summer after a lot of pedaled miles.

Too long in the crotch and they hook up on the seat nose.

No wear spots in particular, just the seams seem to blow out in random places.

Please no more black or turquoise shorts......I don't need flowers, just other colors on the spectrum.

Breathability, some stretch. Yup, let me know what fabrics are used and don't ask me to hand wash/line dry.

I wear my mountain bike shorts all summer long, whether biking or hanging out, they are always made of more durable fabric and wear well.

I prefer a zipper at the neck of jerseys and more of a cottony feeling synthetic fabric rather than a sheet of synthetic fabric wrapped around me.
hope that helps, good luck!

Posted: Jun 11, 2016 at 9:47 Quote
That's good to know, thanks so much for your feedback. And definitely agreed on the fits and colours of bottoms. Do you ever ride in jeans? If you had a good pair of jeans that fit comfortably and were functional for riding would you wear them for riding and on the street? Or do you prefer to ride mostly in shorts?

Thanks so much for your help Smile

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 13:05 Quote
I have the same issues with fit at Katdw and always have to deal with extra material in waist band or riding down/jersey gap. It drives me mad.

I also notice that when riding in everyday clothing the rear crotch area (where seat contact is most) will get worn out and fade then rip quickly.

And I agree with more colour selection and just over all selection. I find selection for wms shorts to be very poor.

A zip pocket in DH jersey's would be nice too

Posted: Jun 16, 2016 at 9:49 Quote
Thanks for the feedback M-Macd. Yeah, the designs for women's are going to be same fabric and same function as the men's but during the design process I'm going to try and drape the fabric on the actual body to establish a solid fit for the rider body, and yes definitely more colour selection too. Big Grin

Posted: Jun 22, 2016 at 22:52 Quote
OK I have a couple more questions:

Where do you normally purchase everyday clothing?

What price would you pay for a pair of jeans, hoody, tee and hats?

Thank You Smile Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2016 at 12:22 Quote
Honestly, I purchase most of my everyday clothing second hand but would be willing to pay 50-100 for jeans if they fit well and were durable, 40-60 for a hoody, 20-30 for a tee and 20-30 for a hat. Maybe more for good quality.

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 at 15:32 Quote
Thanks M-Macd Smile Smile !! Very helpful

Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 19:30 Quote
I love wearing mtb shorts and shirts out and about but Shredly are the only ones that I have found make them fashionable enough. On Shredly they also have a great chamois but just redid the liner in white! Ugh who wants white around ya girl bits? Ahem, we have periods! I would love to see more Capri like pants, I think shebeast has one but only in black. But I love the parachute like material but they don't have enough pockets and pocket depth. Shredly rocks pockets and pocket depth and vents. However they have no other items apart from a few shirts that are blahh.
I would also like blouse/mechanic type riding shirts. I have big boobs and these type fit well and don't show my nipples in cold weather. And a zip pocket at the back...swoon!
Yeti had some great shorts and shirts 2014 but slimmed them down to who the hell is that size these past couple of years. Fox has started to do that also.
I don't get it. We are women and we have shapes. Now all the riding shirts are getting shorter and tighter.
I only bring up other manufacturers so you know my comparisions.
No flowers. No butterflys. Why can't we have kool patterns and rocking in your face colours like the boyz?

Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 19:37 Quote
Oh,oh,oh and hats. We want hats. Trucker types plz, without a flower or butterflys.
Shoes! Can we have durable ride to street shoes?
But I am telling you seriously where the market is lacking...ready for it? Gulp. Dogs stuff, yup I said it. I and all my mates, boyz included want kool leashes, collars, dog bowls, shirts, sweaters, carriers with representation of our sport on it for our 4 legged friends.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 20:50 Quote
Agree with the back gap. I don't even know where to start for clothes as i have this problem in everyday vlothes too. Small waist big butt normal thighs.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 10:28 Quote
Hello,
That's great that you want to start your own clothing business. I would love for it to be simpler for us women to be sized and get the right items. I am new to the biking world but I feel as a new rider I am finding it hard to size clothing. I feel I can only order online due to my local stores barely having anything for women bikers and its frustrating when you see clothes from Asia and you have to go with an xl to even fit you. if sizes could be more like regular clothing that would be helpful..
As for prints it would be great for some fun colors and designs with teals and bright colors.
Comfort wise, the bands I don't like being too tight, more along the lines of high waisted leggings like Vickie's has with a thicker elastic. And definitely breathability I learned yesterday on my 90 degree ride is a must.

I hope your business takes off and I'd be happy to support you!

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 10:33 Quote
Briogurl wrote:
OK I have a couple more questions:

Where do you normally purchase everyday clothing?

What price would you pay for a pair of jeans, hoody, tee and hats?

Thank You Smile Smile

Honestly if it's good quality I'd pay up to 60 for hoodies, but for most of those items I would like to pay no more then 40 for one item.
I see a lot of sets for sale which is a great idea where you can do a shirt and capris for 50 or 60ish.
tee shirts I would like more in the 20-30s for price. I feel the prices of some of the shirts are a little outrageous when as a biker I feel you would need multiples to ride comfortably.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 6:40 Quote
My girlfriend hates all bike clothing, saying it has zero style and is too boxy for any but the curviest of girls. The Maloja stuff is closest to what she wants, but think of the girls who want some fashion along with the function. She works in fashion, and rides primarily DH/enduro stuff.

Her quote: "I don't want to look like you when I ride. I'm still a girl, and if someone can design a helmet like Troy Lee that looks good on a girl, why can't anyone make a decent pair of shorts???"

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
Low rise shorts! I have hated every single pair of women’s shorts I have ever tried because they are all mid-rise and hit just below my belly button which I find hideously uncomfortable and ill-fitting. And because I have fairly narrow hips and a smaller butt, any pair of shorts with a loose enough waist to sit lower is absolutely huge everywhere else. I’m short and small and low-rise shorts/pants should not be exclusive to juniors sizing!

As far as aesthetic, I’d drop money for shorts with a similar utility look as a lot of men’s baggies.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013955
Mobile Version of Website