Efficient trail building in thick wooded areas

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Efficient trail building in thick wooded areas
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 17:27 Quote
Hello Pinkbike, I live near the central coast of California, and despite their being trails in the area, I live over an hour away from the nearest good bike trails and I am not yet old enough to drive myself to them. Because of this I have always wanted to build bike trails on the several hundred acres of hilly terrain that my house resides upon. However, the area that I live on is thickly wooded and the ground is covered with several foot tall shrubs, baking the building tedious and slow. I was wondering if there is a way that I could build trails solo more efficiently so that it doesn't take 10 hours of work to build 100 feet of quality trail. If anyone has developed any methods of building trails in areas with jungle type topography could you please advise me.

Thanks so much,
Zach

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 23:01 Quote
I've been working on the same 300ft section of trail for a long time now over 2 years. 10hr per 100ft isn't bad so long as you have time to build features as well. try utilizing dig pits so you don't have to clear areas to get extra dirt too often. also, use dead and downed trees as filler. you're mostly going to just have to go for it with the loppers and chainsaw and a big ass mattoc by the sounds of it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014034
Mobile Version of Website