Powered by Outside

X-Fusion Fork identify please

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
X-Fusion Fork identify please
Previous Page |
FL
Posted: Jun 22, 2016 at 15:21 Quote
I just bought this X-Fusion Metric second hand.
It is going off to J-Tech tomorrow to be travel adjusted and custom tuned.
But I can't work out which version it is. Everywhere I read suggests there should be a red dial on the right leg in the picture. All I seem to have is rebound (red cap) and air spring adjust on the top, and the black cap covering another air thing on the bottom.

photo

Can anyone identify what I have please?

Posted: Jun 22, 2016 at 16:08 Quote
That is the Metric R so you only get a rebound adjustment. It probably came off a specialized or possibly a scott. I believe they contracted with x-fusion to build a custom metric without the HLR damper and fork guards. X-fusion's new roughcut damper moved the red rebound adjust to the bottom of the fork leg and the lsc and hsc knobs to the top. I don't think that damper is available for the metric though. I have only seen it on the slant, sweep, and the trace.

FL
Posted: Jun 23, 2016 at 2:22 Quote
Ah I see. Do you know if it is still a good fork? I'm not massively bothered because I got it quite cheap.
Looks like the Metric comes with an HLR damper now, so that might be an upgrade I can consider.

Cheers

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 at 6:44 Quote
I have both the metric r and the hlr. I started with the R as an "upgrade" from a fox 34 that came stock on my Altitude. I left it at 180 mm and thought it rode extremely well. I felt so much more confident with it, even on the climbs. The rebound adjust really seemed to make a difference with each setting. But I do like to tinker with settings so kept an eye out for the hlr version and got one at a great price on eBay. I also have the sweep with the roughcut damper. I think X-fusion makes some pretty good forks especially considering the price.

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 at 9:28 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:
I have both the metric r and the hlr. I started with the R as an "upgrade" from a fox 34 that came stock on my Altitude. I left it at 180 mm and thought it rode extremely well. I felt so much more confident with it, even on the climbs. The rebound adjust really seemed to make a difference with each setting. But I do like to tinker with settings so kept an eye out for the hlr version and got one at a great price on eBay. I also have the sweep with the roughcut damper. I think X-fusion makes some pretty good forks especially considering the price.
how does the HLR damper compare to the roughcut?

FL
Posted: Jun 23, 2016 at 13:14 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:

I have just found a Metric HLR for a good price. (Why does this always happen to me!!!)
Would it be night and day, or would you recommend sticking with the R?

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 at 13:24 Quote
JoshCB wrote:
PapaGordo wrote:

I have just found a Metric HLR for a good price. (Why does this always happen to me!!!)
Would it be night and day, or would you recommend sticking with the R?
can speak for the metric,but the hlr vengeance is far better than the R,more control,can be dialled in for different conditions and terrain.The r was okay,considering the factory set damping.Fit and forget as they say

FL
Posted: Jun 23, 2016 at 13:31 Quote
You're going to get me into trouble with Mr Wallett lol
Hhmmm, need to see what I can get for the R, then forget about that and buy the HLR anyway. Usually how it happens.

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 at 14:35 Quote
I completely agree that the HLR damper is much better than the R damper. I do seem to get a bit more brake dive than I expected but the lsc adjustments have been able to keep it under control. I don't have a lot of time on the roughcut damper. I put that on my mid-travel trail bike that my girlfriend rides. I don't remember getting as much brake dive with that fork.

As for what you can get for the R, there were quite a few on the BuySell page in the $350 to $450 range. They seem to be listed for some time at that pricepoint so if you want to move it. Maybe in the $275 to $300 range would get some takers.

Posted: Jun 24, 2016 at 18:53 Quote
Why not upgrade the metric r to the hlr?
Might save you some hassle selling the r and buying another fork.
I bought a metic r and did just that in the spring, best decision I've ever made.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 at 17:50 Quote
I just hady metric r upgraded to the hlr. It cost 300, plus $40 for labor and then shipping. You have to send the fork in. I get mine back Wednesday. I've spent a full season riding the r, if your interested I could voice my opinion after Wednesday.

FL
Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 15:34 Quote
Unfortunately the upgrade is off the table now. I have been quoted £300 + £80 for the upgrade. But the HLR I have found is a bit cheaper than that.
So the plan now is sell the R when it gets back to me, buy the Metric HLR, possibly get it painted matte black(it is the smoked version), then sell my Fox 32.

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 21:25 Quote
JoshCB wrote:
Unfortunately the upgrade is off the table now. I have been quoted £300 + £80 for the upgrade. But the HLR I have found is a bit cheaper than that.
So the plan now is sell the R when it gets back to me, buy the Metric HLR, possibly get it painted matte black(it is the smoked version), then sell my Fox 32.
are you adamant you want the metric?i got an immaculate vengeance Hlr for £160,looked at the metric myself,just couldn't justify the extra cost,for a very similar fork,Metric looks a great fork though

FL
Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 1:07 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
JoshCB wrote:
are you adamant you want the metric?i got an immaculate vengeance Hlr for £160,looked at the metric myself,just couldn't justify the extra cost,for a very similar fork,Metric looks a great fork though

I wouldn't rule out a Vengeance, but they seem to be just as hard to find as Metric's. I do like the look of the Metric with the guards more though.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 8:10 Quote
JoshCB wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
JoshCB wrote:

I wouldn't rule out a Vengeance, but they seem to be just as hard to find as Metric's. I do like the look of the Metric with the guards more though.
im also considering the new suntour Durolux r2c2,once a few long term reviews are out there.good look with the metric search

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011068
Mobile Version of Website