Going to raw supreme fr frame - (now completed)

PB Forum :: Commencal
Going to raw supreme fr frame - (now completed)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 3:25 Quote
i have a 2013 V3 Supreme FR that i fancied polishing after stripping the paint (powdercoat) off as although the paint is virtually unmarked (invisiframe kit fitted from new) i just fancy a change to its look. The frame has painted details and the only sticker kits i can find just have a dozen or so of the same commencal logo and nothing else....has anyone managed to find sticker kits that have a similar look to the original style eg different head tube, down tube, seat tube, seat stay and top tube...preferably for any of the supreme fr's 2012-2014. Highly unlikely i know but maybe someone has found a work around for this.

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 3:30 Quote
Sticker kits are hard to come by.

If you want something specific, try a graphic/sticker/sign shop. they can usually turn something out for you for a reasonable price.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 10:48 Quote
cheers...yeh probably my best option

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 12:12 Quote
brought myself a vinyl plotter and have downloaded some vector logos of the main commencal lettering but does anyone have any for the other stickers eg supreme fr and headtube badge....im new to this graphic design stuff...

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 0:36 Quote
here is a pic of it polished....it needs a wash to remove the residue but looks pretty decent as is. taken me longer than i wanted as i didn't donate as much time to this as quickly as i first intended. made my stickers but am yet to fit them.

raw and polished commencal supreme fr v3

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 2:25 Quote
i use this sticker from RC hobbies, outside brand of bicycle, nice looks font imho, maybe useful Book

photo

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 11:18 Quote
cheers for the idea but i have a vinyl plotter and have cut some now just need to apply them and take some more photos with the drivetrain back together. Team associated are cool....i have a team losi and some hpi stuff and have a few stickers somewhere though they are much smaller.

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 13:09 Quote
I am thinking of RAWing up my bike too.
Maybe you can help me with some questions;

1) How did you remove the paint
2) Did you remove all the bearings/headset/BB/etc
3) Are you gonna finish it off with some clear coat?

Cheers

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 at 2:23 Quote
i used some paint remover that you just paint on and leave......it wasnt super aggresive so i left it on overnight then the next day i would repeat the process with any stubborn bits. so after the first coat it looked like this

paint remover on frame 1st coat

once the paint was removed i thought i could maybe get away without sanding so i grabbed the metal polish and after some time got this

after 1st go with metal polish

it looked ok at first glance but it actually had a tone of small imperfections from the manufacturing process so i then sanded it several times with various grits of sandpaper from 800 down to 1400 grit......this was the time intensive part Frown

i left the bb in as its metal and a sod to get back in (although i spent a bit more time to get the paint stripper round here so apart from right underneath the cups which cant be seen there is no visible old paint (well mine was powdercoat actually) left)....the main pivot bearings i removed after stripping and was gonna chuck them but they still felt smooth so put them back in. the ones in the chain stays i left in and was just careful around them and did my best to mask them and clean them afterwards as i had no bearing press to fit them. the headset cups were removed for this.

then i polished it with meguiars nxt metal polish (normally use autosol but its so messy and harder to get out of the welds). i did use a dremmel with some polishing pads but it didnt work that well apart from the welds but i still did most of the welds by hand.
best of luck for your project.....its not too bad just takes a bit of time but when its done it looks ace and im very happy with the results. but it only looks good as your sanding process is ie dont be tempted to rush this part. Once i get a bit more spare time i need to finish mine and upload the pics (should be done in a few days time).

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 at 5:42 Quote
Thanks for the info mate.
Clean looking bike you got there.

Posted: Dec 12, 2016 at 11:40 Quote
thanks. and best of luck with yours if you do decide to raw it.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 5:44 Quote
well finally finished this.....i have been super lazy recently and kept putting other things ahead of this but finally got round to putting it back together and adding the stickers i made. Quite happy with how its turned out.

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 5:59 Quote
Damn, that thing turned out super nice!

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 6:20 Quote
Good job on the Commy, those decals you have on make all the difference.
Saves it from looking like a stolen bike that someone stripped the paint off.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 8:11 Quote
lol cheers.....yeh looked a little too plain before i stuck them on,

just nipped out for a quick 9 mile ride round one of my local trails just to check all is well. Its not exactly the best trail for a bike with so much travel but its not too bad considering if just a bit more effort required than my meta sl. surprisingly dry considering how much rain has fallen.

photo

photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020482
Mobile Version of Website