Going to raw supreme fr frame - (now completed)

PB Forum :: Commencal
Going to raw supreme fr frame - (now completed)
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 19:29 Quote
here are some before and after pics should anyone else be wandering about doing the same but are unsure if they will like the finished result as much as the original paint.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 23, 2017 at 4:35 Quote
Looks great man, this is pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do to my 2015 Meta SX, except with a brushed instead of mirror polished finish!
I've just got a few quick questions if you can help me out:

What paint stripper did you use?

Did the Meguairs remove any scratches (I'm hoping to polish up the brushed look a little but don't want to remove it)?

Have you put some form of clear coat/anodizing on to protect the aluminium?

What vinyl did you use for your graphics and how have they held up to washing and such?

Posted: Jan 23, 2017 at 10:12 Quote
thanks...yeh it turned out good.

the paint stripper i purchased from a local motor factors (motorspares was the shop i purchased it at and i got 1 bottle for around £10) but unfortunately i cant remember the name of it.

i will say that there was some quite bad marks under the paint so even if i wanted to leave it in a brushed finish it looked pretty bad. You could sand it with some 800 wet and dry but if your doing that you may as well put in a a bit more effort and polish it. You may be luckier with your frame though.

the vinyl is just sign vinyl purchased from amazon (it mentioned it was good for outdoor use) i haven't long done the bike so its a bit early to say how well its gonna last though.

the meguiars is pretty weak.....it helps add shine and remove smaller marks but wont remove big scratches or say a rough finish but it may make it look like a shiny but scratched frame...may be better off using just wire wool of you don't want that.

never bother with clear coat just gave it a once over with some decent carnuba wax (harlys wax big tub 20 quid of ebay - or it use to be....best stuff for your car as well as 100% pure carnuba with no added rubbish) this way if it gets a scratch i can sort it out easily and keep it looking good. I did an older kona stab deluxe like this a few years back and it still looks great...pics in my album if your interested.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012126
Mobile Version of Website