Downhillers and Body Armor

PB Forum :: Downhill
Downhillers and Body Armor
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 9:59 Quote
This has been bugging me for quite some time. Looking at some world cup videos recently it looks like most the riders aren't wearing full armor e.g. 661 pressure suit. In earleir videos you can see that they are. Are modern downhillers risking spinal injuries or are there low profile suits on the market? Also, what armor do you guys (and girls) wear?

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 10:06 Quote
hmm havent noticd that, well the 661 pro suit is very slimline they could have it on. I use a 661 sp2 works a treat even use it on motocross aswell

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 10:07 Quote
I know that some riders like one of the Yeti team I can't remember of is not wearing armor on it's race run...But that's only the race, not the practices!

As for me, I'm with a 661 pressure suit (The old red ones). I found that it protect me the upper body great. Obviously, I need (plastic plates) padded shorts and shin/knee guards to complete. I don't like the feeling of the chest plate that seems to be moving upward and does not stick in place with the belly buckle (That is always going up when pedaling).

Dainese full suits are the best, but expensives!

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
ride66 wrote:
As for me, I'm with a 661 pressure suit (The old red ones). I found that it protect me the upper body great. Obviously, I need (plastic plates) padded shorts and shin/knee guards to complete. I don't like the feeling of the chest plate that seems to be moving upward and does not stick in place with the belly buckle (That is always going up when pedaling).

I found that when I wore one, it was when it had finished migrating up my back that I happened to land on my spine.

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 10:16 Quote
orangepatriot66 wrote:
This has been bugging me for quite some time. Looking at some world cup videos recently it looks like most the riders aren't wearing full armor e.g. 661 pressure suit. In earleir videos you can see that they are. Are modern downhillers risking spinal injuries or are there low profile suits on the market? Also, what armor do you guys (and girls) wear?

I personly think all WC riders are a bunch off stupid people,not that they are but about taking risc's off injury's.They don't whanna wear body armor because they don't give a shit about it.I personly have no hard feelings if they ended in a wheelchair for the rest off there lives because off wearing no body armor.Matti and Klausmann where very lucky they didn't ended up in a wheel chair.Glad they are wearing a helmet but a helmet isn't enough for some serious crashes.I wear full body armor from 661 when i ride for the rest off the day and off course a strong Full Face helmet,knee/shin protection also from 661.

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
i think for local races at least, knee pads, gloves and full face.. at the end of the day its up to the rider.. i dont like the restrictiveness of full upper body armour.. . however, you see the speed the riders get to in WC's and its a bit silly...

again.. theyve reached the top of the sport, so should be able to take of themsleves..

i think its more worrying about slopestyle! jeans, t shirt, knee pads,, and pisspot.. at some of the courses this year...

bad injuries are allways going to happen, with or without any protection..

Mod
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 10:28 Quote
Depends on the race. Some courses I'll throw on full armour - but there are some courses that I don't think warrant the uperbody/arm armour. Full face, gloves, and knee's/shin, are the only pieces of armour I consistently wear when racing. Other bits get added as the course gets burlier. If it's a smooth but fast course I don't see the need. But as soon as you throw a bunch of rocks in - it's time for the armour in my opinion. Even if it is a slow race.

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 10:39 Quote
yea deffo, if is smooth as you like. a-line, etc then yea. like somewher like fort bill, where it combines silly speeds with ultimate GNAR. thats a full armour track!

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 10:46 Quote
charlesdavid17 wrote:
yea deffo, if is smooth as you like. a-line, etc then yea. like somewher like fort bill, where it combines silly speeds with ultimate GNAR. thats a full armour track!
I think it says you have to have full armor at ft.bill or you cant ride.

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 11:43 Quote
i wear a Dainese upper body armor and i love it , i forget about it , even on hot days.

as for the racers , i understand that on race runs the top elite sacrifice the security of the armor. i know that lots of them wear armor on practice days when they dial-in the course.

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 11:46 Quote
ride66 wrote:
I know that some riders like one of the Yeti team I can't remember of is not wearing armor on it's race run...But that's only the race, not the practices!

Dainese full suits are the best, but expensives!

I was worried about my chest plate moving up on my 661 pressure suit untill i hit a tree and was releived to find no broken bones Big Grin

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 11:50 Quote
HaggisOnABike wrote:
I was worried about my chest plate moving up on my 661 pressure suit untill i hit a tree and was releived to find no broken bones Big Grin

A sure thing is that it protect you...But it's sometime annoying! Tested it when I felt on the ground taking the impact with my chest. Had no more breathe, just the time to throw away the bike in the bushes while lying on the ground and roll off the trail while others races were jumping over me...

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 11:54 Quote
As much as the merits of wearing upper body armour can be debated (they do prevent upper body injury), severe neck injuries are not prevented by wearing body armour and full face helmets can actually be the cause of neck injury. Its all about how you fall, or how you hit something. Armour won't save you from everything.

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 11:57 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
As much as the merits of wearing upper body armour can be debated (they do prevent upper body injury), severe neck injuries are not prevented by wearing body armour and full face helmets can actually be the cause of neck injury. Its all about how you fall, or how you hit something.

Exact, armors can just prevent stiches, scratchs and broken spline to a certain level because they act as a support. Helmet prevent trauma, but can cause damage to the neck and neck is not protected at all!

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 12:00 Quote
^^^ Though I have seen products similar to the Hans device used in car racing starting to turn up at WC DH courses. Think Cedric wore one last season. Supposed to minimize neck movement.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007863
Mobile Version of Website