Is there any alternative to five tens?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Is there any alternative to five tens?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 16:39 Quote
Hi guys,

After 18 months of abuse my five ten freeriders are pretty much dead and I'm looking to replace them. Unfortunately the price of five tens have really spiked in the last year. Is there anywhere to get a set of five ten freerider elements or impacts at a decent price? - even chain reaction is asking $200CAD+ !!! If not, is there any viable alternative?

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 17:09 Quote
Check MEC for their approach/climbing shoes. They all will have soft sticky rubber and look 10 times better.

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 19:29 Quote
PanCascadian wrote:
Check MEC for their approach/climbing shoes. They all will have soft sticky rubber and look 10 times better.

Is this what you have in mind?

http://www.mec.ca/product/5041-124/five-ten-aescent-climbing-approach-shoes-mens/?h=10+50001+50026&f=10+50001+50838

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 19:40 Quote
The rubber on the bottom of that shoe is the exact same stuff as on the bike shoe.

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 19:42 Quote
http://www.mec.ca/product/5021-335/la-sportiva-boulder-x-approach-shoes-mens/?h=10+50089+50026+50838&f=10+50001+50089+50838

This shoe will have a different brand of rubber but still soft. Just depends on how much money you want to save.

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 21:53 Quote
adidas terrex trail cross:

Mod
Posted: Jul 2, 2016 at 23:17 Quote
I'd watch chain reaction if you're not in a rush, the five ten prices have been fluctuating. A few weeks ago the impacts were $184, right now they are 215. I wouldnt be surprised to see the prices drop again. They have some older five tens on sale as welll if they have a size that will fit you. I know my lbs has a pile of last year's shoes in their basement for well over 50% off, might be worth calling around your area.

Shimano shoes are quite popular, but their prices are similar to the five tens.

Posted: Jul 3, 2016 at 0:15 Quote
If it's the sole on your Freeriders that have died, you're not in for a better deal on the Adidas. They also uses the Stealth sole, since they own Five Ten, so you could mabey benefit from a tougher outer layer.

Posted: Jul 3, 2016 at 1:33 Quote
My 5-10's wore out after 11 months of use. I discovered they were excellent (albeit somewhat heavy) for riding, but not so great for every day use commuting because the sole was far too soft. Thankfully, they warrantied the shoes but gosh I think shoes that cost more than $100 should last longer than 11 months.

Posted: Jul 3, 2016 at 1:53 Quote
Always had fivetens and recenty added a pair of addidas terrex trail cross, and I'm really impressed. Same sole as the 5.10s, pretty light and thin, comfy, stiff sole, it seems like a perfect pair of shoes for the long pedally rides that I used to do with my 5.10s.

Bit pricey, and I'll see how they last, but so far so good.

Posted: Jul 3, 2016 at 6:42 Quote
I'm now using a brand new set of Sombrios from crc for £19 as opposed to the £95 freerider vxis which were god aweful.

Even worse in mudfests, Worse than an icerink !!

That was in the carpark too so goes to show flat soled no tread flatties are shite.

Five ten are complete cack compared to a few other better options that come far cheaper.

Posted: Jul 3, 2016 at 8:01 Quote
skate shoes, ive ridden in nothing else for 20 something years, i always shoot for the 50 some dollar range with a uniform sole, no brand loyalty, always get plain styled mono color ones... well, great for platform pedals anyways... just got a new set of chester pedals, awesome grip with my current Globe Fusion sneakers... locked in goodness even in the mud

Posted: Jul 3, 2016 at 10:05 Quote
Shimano sd66l for me

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
My opinion? Well..., I have quality concerns about the new AhDeeDahs/5.10s. And I'm shopping. I have an older pair of Freedrider VXI that were purchased some years ago from 5.10's website. Pre AhDeeDahs. They've been stellar boots. Have withstood some dang hard wear, in some nasty conditions through all seasons, and all in good form.

They took some time to settle into my 10Es - but have been comfy, durable to a fault, and my go-to biking shoes since new. Sure I've had them into a boot repair place a couple times for stitching repairs. And I've had to dab a fair amount of shoe-goo into the spike holes in the soles. But I'd need to do that with any pair of riding shoes - including the skate shoes that I was riding pre-5.10.

Now though..., they're starting to show some wear that I won't be able to repair. So I'm shopping. And so far - I've not read anything positive about the new 5.10 rebranded AhDeeDahs - especially to replace what I have at $150 a pop. 3 stripes have absolutely no value for me. Never have. Not for running, or skating, or anything. They have in my opinion always been a second-rate shoe - and always will be. Seems like the vast majority of recent 5.10s reviews that I've run across, have been ample evidence for me, that the new owners of 5.10 are looking for how to save on shoe construction costs and get their hands deeper into our wallets. Funny how they've been able to change each of the 3 stripes into each of the three numbers. Wonder how long it'll be before they'll just drop the 5.10 brand, altogether. We've seen that before, eh?

So anyway..., A new pair of 5.10s is pretty much out of the question, for me. I'm tempted to go back to skate shoes. Have done some shopping in the better-stocked skate stores - and have found some that appear to be better made, and have stiffer soles, for well under a bill. And if they're not stiff enough (always were, before), there are insoles available that will add to the stiffness factor.

Gonna look critically at mid-weight hiking shoes, too. Lots of riders were sporting that kind of footwear when flats started to be the preference - and designated shoes for flats, hadn't been generally available.

Also looking at some of the other-branded bike shoes. Some look pretty good. And even though they're also generally pushing the limits for price - if the value's there - especially in the durability department - I have no trouble tossing out a pile of pennies.

To bad about 5.10. There were a pretty good shoe. Oh well - life goes on. We move away from the bad and toward the better. Frames. Drivetrain. Wheels & tires. Clothes. And now..., shoes, too.

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5063-343/GR5-Cycling-Shoes

I tried these on and they were super comfortable, and looked great especially in the blue.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017052
Mobile Version of Website