Riding my Hightower with 29 rear / 650+ front

PB Forum :: 29ers
Riding my Hightower with 29 rear / 650+ front
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 10, 2016 at 14:36 Quote
It is most awesome... feels more efficient / faster than 650+ on rear and I feel I am still getting most of the benefits of the plus phenomenon.

Makes the bike easier to manual and wheelie since you don't have to fight the absorption of the rear tire and the bottom bracket to rear axle is also lower (flipped the chip for the 29er wheel). I feel like I finally have my ultimate dream bike... just wanted to throw it out there to see what kind of hate I can stir up.

Note: I did order the bike with 650+ so it does have the longer fork on it. Current rear wheel is a Roval Traverse (wide rim) with a 2.3 Ground Control Grid tire at 23psi rear and 16psi on the + tire front.

Not sure if this would work on any bike other than the Hightower though.

Posted: Aug 14, 2016 at 20:58 Quote
Just got a HT also with the 29er option though. Are the 650b+ tires durable enough for rocky areas? Meaning does one have to really dodge rocks to keep from puncturing the side walls?

Posted: Sep 7, 2016 at 21:09 Quote
I ride mainly rocks on the east coast (mountain creek) and I ride this bike almost every day. My rear tire is a nobby nic and front is a Surly dirt wizard...rear is showing some bad rub on the sidewalls, I have had zero problems with my front tire and have been running it since june. I am getting a pair of flow mk3 29ers hopefully by end of next week. I will try this combo with 650+ on the front. Sounds like it would be perfect for rocks as the front will float and the back is narrower to squeeze between rocks and not rub the sidewalls as much.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009581
Mobile Version of Website