Rebuilding a Rockshox pike 160 mm to 100mm

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Rebuilding a Rockshox pike 160 mm to 100mm
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 11, 2016 at 11:35 Quote
Hi. I have the chance of getting a 26" 160mm Rockshox Pike Solo Air at a really good price. I'm also building a dirt jump bike so I was wondering if it is possible to rebuild it with a 100mm spring assembly? Like this one: http://www.bikeman.com/FK9166.html
If it is possible, what will it do to the fork, performance wise?
I understand that the sag adjustments written on the stanchions will be wrong.
If not 100mm is it possible with the 140mm DJ spring assembly? And how does a 140mm fork work on a dirt jump bike? Isn't it kinda overkill?

Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 10:43 Quote
Ive seen it done. Met some guy who had done it. He said something about removing part of the internals. Im also interested in doing the same thing but been wondering about how exactly and the long term effects to the fork.

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 at 13:21 Quote
Why do you want to go to coil? Its easier to lower it as it is being solo air.

I've just lowered some totem solo airs to 160mm to fit my hardtail trail bike.

Posted: Jul 25, 2016 at 22:27 Quote
You can't lower the Pike's as easily as the older air Rockshox forks. You have to change out the whole air spring assembly. I was also really interested in doing such thing, since Enduro Pike's are quite common and cheapish second hand compared to Pike DJ's.

My memory might be wrong, but I remember reading that the 26" enduro Pike (RC or RCT3) can be lowered to max 140mm, or atleast that's the max that the manufacturers recommend. Also, the more you lower the fork, the more air token's you'd need, since the Enduro Pike doesn't have the harder factory tunning that the Pike DJ has, meaning you'd have to fill it in with a silly amount of tokens.

Well I can't fully remember all the details, but in the end decided against it because it was a hassle and went for a Argyle RCT.

Cheers,

Posted: Sep 8, 2016 at 8:27 Quote
I spoke with someone from rockshox yesterday about this. The 26" model can be safely taken down to 100mm by changing the air shaft. I asked if I could just add 4 bottom out tokens to make it more progressive like a dj fork. There was a long pause.... He said "technically" you would need to change out the air cap because it creates an actual seal about 3" down inside the stanchion vs just taking away volume ( so basically it takes away more air volume than 4 tokens ). The correct air shaft/top cap can be found online for $150. I was considering trying the cheapo way with just the air shaft ($30) and bottomless tokens.

Posted: Sep 8, 2016 at 9:23 Quote
I don't see why you would need ti do that?

Why can't you just lower it? It would be exactly the same as running lots of sag, trying to sell you unnecessary parts I think.

You can't bottom out a fork so there's no reason why yiu can't lower it to 0mm

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 14:35 Quote
@jjalessi did you ever end up trying the air shaft and tokens? About to be in the same boat myself.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 6:38 Quote
@maxwyll91 I did. It’s been completely fine for me. That being said, I’m no dj mad man. I figure it’s pumped up to a million psi anyway, so what’s it matter if it’s not quite as progressive as it would be with the air cap with the integrated seal. I’m sure there are people out there that will scoff at me, but this IS Pinkbike so it’s to be expected ;-)

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
@jjalessi awesome thats good to know. ive been jumping on mine with no tokens just maxed out in psi and it feels legit, so i plan on just throwing a couple tokens in and calling it good as well!

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 11:48 Quote
Quick question... does the 'lock-out' on the pike not really lock the fork out (completely rigid)? I also lowered my Pike from 150 to 120, but I feel like I still eat up travel easily, even locked out/max psi/max tokens.

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
zeronine3 wrote:
Quick question... does the 'lock-out' on the pike not really lock the fork out (completely rigid)? I also lowered my Pike from 150 to 120, but I feel like I still eat up travel easily, even locked out/max psi/max tokens.

No, it ramps up the compression damping, almost locking it, but it ill move if you hit it hard enough

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 15:30 Quote
Some conflicting information in this thread and still wondering if my 26in Pike 160mm A2 can be taken down to 100mm. Called SRAM and of course they just say they can't recommend doing it but will never give me an answer if I can use the 26in 100mm A2 air shaft (not the DJ asssembly as it has a different thread pitch). They do say I can take it down to 120mm. Anybody got an answer?

Posted: Aug 9, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
Please could you let me know what the maximum pressure you can put in a normal pike that has been lowered to 100mm in 26” is? Also if I was to put maximum pressure in could I put 2 volume spacers in it? Thanks

Posted: Aug 17, 2020 at 20:08 Quote
maxwyll91 wrote:
@jjalessi awesome thats good to know. ive been jumping on mine with no tokens just maxed out in psi and it feels legit, so i plan on just throwing a couple tokens in and calling it good as well!

Did you end up reducing the travel? If so, how? Have a 2009 160mm lyrik laying around and it would be awesome to be able to throw it on a DJ build I’m trying to get going.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007024
Mobile Version of Website