DT Swiss 370 Straightpull

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
DT Swiss 370 Straightpull
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 22:32 Quote
Hi! I have bought form my friend a couple of DT Swiss 370 Straightpull hubs but on DT Swiss or generally on Web I don't find hub specs how I mesure PCD,... to insert in Spoke lenght calculator? Thank you really much.

Posted: Jul 13, 2016 at 22:16 Quote
Go to this link and select your desired hub and rim, The calculator will do the rest for you however not for straight pull. Some simple measuring can resolve this however.

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 6:59 Quote
bicyclecentremaroochydore wrote:
Go to this link and select your desired hub and rim, The calculator will do the rest for you!

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator
But is not straightpull

Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 7:20 Quote
http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

I feel your pain, bro. It took me awhile to find resources re: straight pull measurements.

Roger Musson's spoke calculator does straightpull and includes measurement instructions if you poke around through the help files. It's what I'm using these days when prototyping new wheels with straight pull hubs and it seems to be spot on so far. Spoke head offset can be kind of a bitch to measure, though Frown Not the calculator's fault, just an aspect of straight pull geometry.

You may also be able to get away with using DT's spoke calculator for 350/240 straight pull hubs.

Hope that helps. Best of luck!

Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 10:18 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:

I feel your pain, bro. It took me awhile to find resources re: straight pull measurements.

Roger Musson's spoke calculator does straightpull and includes measurement instructions if you poke around through the help files. It's what I'm using these days when prototyping new wheels with straight pull hubs and it seems to be spot on so far. Spoke head offset can be kind of a bitch to measure, though Frown Not the calculator's fault, just an aspect of straight pull geometry.

You may also be able to get away with using DT's spoke calculator for 350/240 straight pull hubs.

thank you really much

Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 11:51 Quote
fangoman wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:

thank you really much

No prob. Feel free to hit me up if you run into any more trouble and I'll see what I can figure out for ya.

Posted: Oct 1, 2018 at 17:39 Quote
Looking to measure a straight pull hub...one question...how?

Posted: Oct 2, 2018 at 17:13 Quote
ottoreni wrote:
Looking to measure a straight pull hub...one question...how?

Roger Musson's calculator used to have straight pull measuring instructions in the help file, but I'm not seeing them now. He may have moved them. I'm pretty sure that if you buy his book it'll have the information you need, or you can reach out to him personally. I've found him to be both knowledgeable and friendly.

As for the "how"...

You measure the flange-to-center distance from a point between the spoke holes on a lug to the end cap, then subtract that measurement from half the overall hub width, I.E. if your measurement is 20mm on a 142mm hub the flange-to-center distance will be 51mm for that side of the hub.

For flange diameter you have to measure from the center of one spoke hole, and then eyeball an imaginary arc from the centers of two spoke holes that are diametrically opposite that hole and place the other end of the caliper jaws on that imaginary line. If you're off by half a mm or so it won't matter much at all.

Spoke hole offset is a lot harder to measure. It's the depth that the spoke hole is countersunk for the spoke head. If the spoke heads don't meet at the centerline of the lug or fall short of the centerline the hub is said to have NO or NEGATIVE offset. If the spoke heads go PAST the centerline of the lug, you have POSITIVE offset. Now, as for how you MEASURE THAT... You need to measure the overall width of the lug, then measure how far the spoke head is countersunk into the lug and subtract that number from HALF the overall width of the hub. Fun, right?

Regarding spoke cross numbers, that's gonna vary from one hub and manufacturer to the next. Most (all?) 28 hole and up will be 3 cross, most 24 hole and less will be 2 cross.

There ya go, bro. That's how it's done. Hope that helps!

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 7:46 Quote
Not related to your original post, but I've run across a few 370-level hubs, mostly oem, that can be converted to star ratchets. Resolves the sticky pawl issues and 54t ratchets ftw. And the parts are around $25, not counting the fhb and ratchets.

Posted: Dec 17, 2018 at 19:02 Quote
You sure the DT370 can be converted from 3 pawl to star ratchet? I have a set and would consider concerting. Pls share info

Posted: Dec 17, 2018 at 19:12 Quote
romeoblue wrote:
Not related to your original post, but I've run across a few 370-level hubs, mostly oem, that can be converted to star ratchets. Resolves the sticky pawl issues and 54t ratchets ftw. And the parts are around $25, not counting the fhb and ratchets.

I'm very interested.... I really want to have the 54t star ratchets over the stock 3 pawl 24t. However, I have read that the seal isn't effective after converting.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 5:01 Quote
So the hubs that I’ve done the swap on are the 2019 giant trx hubs that come with the carbon rims (trance) and nicer AL rims (reign). The hubs are the same design/parts as the 370 Straight pull model, and I want to say mine have a small DT logo. You need everything from the hub bearing out - washer, splined drive ring, seal, bushing, springs/ratchets, freehub/xd driver, and end cap.

With the exception of the FHB and 54t ratchets, everything is surprisingly inexpensive. I haven’t had any other DT hubs come in lately, but I’ll measure the next one and verify the conversion is not specific to the Giant. This is also a great time to throw in better hub bearings, there is a guide on the DT site about using the axle and end caps for this if you don’t have a bearing press.

As for the seal, I read something similar on mtbr when I was doing research. Mine pressed in by hand and was nicely snug, just be careful that it faces the right direction and isn’t bent or damaged. If the freehub starts to bind when the axle is tightened then check the seal first.

The only issue most people will encounter is that you need drive ring removal tools for both the pawl and star ratchet ring, and they’re not cheap for a little piece of metal. Also, I strongly recommend using a good vise, remember the threads are right handed, and if it seems stuck just get another person and turn harder. I’ve broken one removal tool and a vise on DT drive rings, it was unpleasant.

Send me a PM with any questions or need part numbers, I’m happy to help.

JB

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 18:32 Quote
Just found this video on Youtube of a 370 being successfully converted to the star ratchet system. He has also included all part numbers in the description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XpRZCLTX4

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016032
Mobile Version of Website