Spoon 135 rear hub... defective?

PB Forum :: Spank Industries
Spoon 135 rear hub... defective?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 21, 2016 at 18:06 Quote
I have a race 28 laced to a spoon 135 with less than a full season of riding. I was out riding the other day on a local trail and the hub started to "slip" . It now spins freely both ways. I thought mabey the engagement points were gummed up so I did a full service put it back together and the same results. Now I'm not sure what the proper term is for the internal toothed circle that the free hub engages with but the circle spins freely in there. Examination of this design leads me to believe there's nothing further I can do. I couldn't find and info on this problem anywhere and spank Ind won't get back to me on a possible warrantee. Any thoughts?

Posted: Jul 31, 2016 at 4:03 Quote
i'd replace the pawls and pawl spring, they're available as a spare part

if the problem persists then you will probably need a new ratchet ring (threaded into the hub, also called a drive ring)
probably not a warranty but shouldn't be an expensive fix

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 at 17:42 Quote
Turns out it is a stripped ratchet ring as the pawls and spring is mint. I was able to get incontact with the proper persons for warranty. Spank indicates that a hub replacement is the only fix so I will be out the additional money to have it relaced. The guys at the gravity cartel were good in getting out a replacement. +1 for being tough hoops. +1 for honoring a replacement. But -1 for the hub not going any sort of distance. I'll leave the post up as mabey this could be a reoccurring problem or small percentage defect.

Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 7:26 Quote
edace123 wrote:
Turns out it is a stripped ratchet ring as the pawls and spring is mint. I was able to get incontact with the proper persons for warranty. Spank indicates that a hub replacement is the only fix so I will be out the additional money to have it relaced. The guys at the gravity cartel were good in getting out a replacement. +1 for being tough hoops. +1 for honoring a replacement. But -1 for the hub not going any sort of distance. I'll leave the post up as mabey this could be a reoccurring problem or small percentage defect.

I would def leave this post up. It's the kind of info people need to know and why I got Spank in the manufactures section on pinkbike. Great write up and after action report.

I've been on spank hubs for awhile now. The only issue I have had so far is the freehub came a bit loose after a full season on my Demo from park riding. I checked all the bearings and they have had no need to be replaced.

I would enjoy better engagement from the hubs but with the overall build quality and durability of the hubs, I can't complain

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 18:18 Quote
Had the same issue! Helpful post.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005043
Mobile Version of Website