2016 tr500/ fox dhx2 shock top out

PB Forum :: Downhill
2016 tr500/ fox dhx2 shock top out
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 12:20 Quote
Went out for a first ride on my brand new tr500, the rear shock seems as if its nearly too big for the frame the way it is topping out, i have told my lbs who i bought it from but he reckons its a setup issue, i gone from quickest to slowest rebounds and from hardest to softest compression and dont think its a setup issue.
Anyone else have any problems with this shock or frame

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 15:37 Quote
Hey, I just got a TR500 frame with dhx2 shock too. I have noticed the "harsh" top out compared to other full suspension bikes. I honestly just dialed in my high/slow rebound and compression to how I like it and dealed with the topout clank. I've pretty much gotten used to the feeling of it topping out. I wouldn't worry about it. Transition's got their stuff really dialed and figured out. If it REALLY bothers you, you could contact Fox and ask them about it.

Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 4:29 Quote
derekguy123 wrote:
Hey, I just got a TR500 frame with dhx2 shock too. I have noticed the "harsh" top out compared to other full suspension bikes. I honestly just dialed in my high/slow rebound and compression to how I like it and dealed with the topout clank. I've pretty much gotten used to the feeling of it topping out. I wouldn't worry about it. Transition's got their stuff really dialed and figured out. If it REALLY bothers you, you could contact Fox and ask them about it.

Went back to the shop i bought it from and they said straight away its a warranty issue with the fox shocks, maybe see if yours is a warranty issue too?

Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 14:53 Quote
GripShiftForLife wrote:
derekguy123 wrote:

Went back to the shop i bought it from and they said straight away its a warranty issue with the fox shocks, maybe see if yours is a warranty issue too?

Interesting.... Well the shop I bought it from is about an hour away, so I don't think i'll be bringing it back. The top out doesn't really bother me, but idk. Let me know what happens!

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 7:55 Quote
Check to see how many turns off preload there are on the spring. You should have no more than two turns on the coil past the point at which the collar contacts the coil. More than this can start to cause the shock to top out.

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 17:31 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Check to see how many turns off preload there are on the spring. You should have no more than two turns on the coil past the point at which the collar contacts the coil. More than this can start to cause the shock to top out.

Oh, good statement! I'm pretty sure i've got more than 2 turns on. I'll try reducing the turns and see if it still tops out. I'll get back to you guys!

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 17:47 Quote
Just checked my shock.... How does 9 turns sound!?!??!?! HAHA, I guess thats why i've been topping out. Thing is, I only weigh 135 lb and i'm running a 400 spring. But I have heard that TR500's have high leverage rates. I plan on getting a 450 spring.

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 18:25 Quote
derekguy123 wrote:
Just checked my shock.... How does 9 turns sound!?!??!?! HAHA, I guess thats why i've been topping out. Thing is, I only weigh 135 lb and i'm running a 400 spring. But I have heard that TR500's have high leverage rates. I plan on getting a 450 spring.

At that weight you should be running a 300# spring

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 20:11 Quote
So top out problem solved?

It does seem like a 400lb coil would be a touch heavy for your body weight as well, although this is only based on my personal experience dealing with many different riders on many different frames, so I could be wrong. Best bet is to get someone to help measure your sag and if it is no where near 30% then use a spring calculator to get a ballpark on the spring rate.

Posted: Jul 31, 2016 at 9:27 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
So top out problem solved?

It does seem like a 400lb coil would be a touch heavy for your body weight as well, although this is only based on my personal experience dealing with many different riders on many different frames, so I could be wrong. Best bet is to get someone to help measure your sag and if it is no where near 30% then use a spring calculator to get a ballpark on the spring rate.

Guess I should have some one measure my sag. Maybe i'm not getting enough sag because even on my hardest landings i'm not bottoming out. Although it could be that I have too much high speed compression dialed on. Do you guys know much about dhx2 tuning? Im running 18 clicks from full counter clockwise on high and low speed compression. Any help appreciated!

Posted: Jul 31, 2016 at 9:32 Quote
I also tend to run my rear suspension kind of hard to "match" my fork. In my 40 I have a green spring, which is too hard for my weight. I think a blue should work?

Posted: Jul 31, 2016 at 14:04 Quote
So from full open you have 18 clicks in the firm or plus direction on high speed compression?

You should have 18 or so clicks in the soft direction. So turn the high speed adjuster clockwise until it stops, and then go roughly 18 clicks counter clockwise. That will put you in a good starting position.

Posted: Jul 31, 2016 at 15:59 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
So from full open you have 18 clicks in the firm or plus direction on high speed compression?

You should have 18 or so clicks in the soft direction. So turn the high speed adjuster clockwise until it stops, and then go roughly 18 clicks counter clockwise. That will put you in a good starting position.

Yes I do, 18 clicks in the plus direction. I know how I adjust clicks is opposite, but it's what makes sense to me. So I should have around 6 clicks from full minus, sense there's 24 clicks total. I'll try it, sounds too squishy to me though. Thanks for helping me out btw!

Posted: Jul 31, 2016 at 16:24 Quote
The problem with having high speed compression set so high is that high speed compression largely effects small square edge stutter bumps. If you have to much high speed compression these become harsh and your traction will suffer. You will also tend to see your rear wheel having a difficult time tracking straight through really big deep bumps that you are smashing through, it may lead you to believe that your rebounds is to fast when really what you are feeling is the bike squirming when the compression ramps up to the moon.

With a lot of high speed compression and not much low speed the bike will feel extremely harsh and unstable, yet it will blow through travel in rolling compressions, corners, and under hard braking, which can cause you to think you need a stiffer spring, when in fact this would only make things worse.

You should always run as little high speed compression as you can get away with and only enough low speed to keep the suspension high in corners and rolling bumps.

Posted: Aug 14, 2016 at 1:31 Quote
Anyone got a good base setting for this frame and shock please?

I'm around 150lbs with a 400lb spring.

Thanks

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014622
Mobile Version of Website