Jekyll upgrade to 180mm Dyad

PB Forum :: Cannondale
Jekyll upgrade to 180mm Dyad
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 16:15 Quote
So I have been kicking this around for a while.
Finally swapped Dyads from my Claymore to my 26" Jekyll.
Feels great, but.....
Claymore Dyad has larger diameter top bushings.
Easy fix swap bushings.
Next, tire does rub when bottoming out. Even a 2.25. Cry
Anyone done this with success?
Really bummed this won't work.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Posted: Jul 31, 2016 at 22:20 Quote
After some reading. What about OFFSET BUSHINGS?
Someone please chime in. As this is beyond my basic mechanic skills.
Any info on bushing sizes (measurements).
If anyone has tried this with a dyad on either a Jekyll or Claymore.
How this will effect the bike.
If I am on the right path? Will this reduce the shock stroke? Travel?2 cents

Posted: Aug 1, 2016 at 10:00 Quote
gspot2000 wrote:
After some reading. What about OFFSET BUSHINGS?
Someone please chime in. As this is beyond my basic mechanic skills.
Any info on bushing sizes (measurements).
If anyone has tried this with a dyad on either a Jekyll or Claymore.
How this will effect the bike.
If I am on the right path? Will this reduce the shock stroke? Travel?2 cents

Hi, I work for Offsetbushings.com so I'm sure I can help!

They won't reduce your shocks stroke or the travel at all.

They'll slacken the head angle and lower the bottom bracket, by around 1.5 degrees for a pair of Offset Bushings on a Jekyll (15.8x6mm hardware) and lower the BB by just over 1cm. These figures change from one bike to the next, though they're a pretty good average. We can machine less offset if you'd like to reduce these figures, though as standard they have the max offset possible.

Hope that helps!

Posted: Aug 2, 2016 at 14:30 Quote
What about Cannondale Jekyll 3 2015 - 27'5 ? What would be the change in angle with this model? Anyone using that?

And does offset busshing add any additional stress to DYAD shock or frame ? More sisk for failure / damage?

Posted: Aug 3, 2016 at 2:01 Quote
Vasja wrote:
What about Cannondale Jekyll 3 2015 - 27'5 ? What would be the change in angle with this model? Anyone using that?

And does offset busshing add any additional stress to DYAD shock or frame ? More sisk for failure / damage?

With the Jekyll using 6mm bolts you're looking at a 1.5 degree HA adjustment on average with a pair of Offset Bushings. We've had a large number of customers order for the Jekyll with no reported issues.

Providing you have adequate clearance then there's no increased risk of failure etc.

Posted: Aug 3, 2016 at 16:06 Quote
I just put OBs in my Jekyll and I love it. The only issue was that the aluminum spacers that go between the shock and the frame were slightly too thick and caused some hideous noise until I filed them down so the contact was being made on the bushing itself instead of the spacer rings.

Posted: Aug 3, 2016 at 21:32 Quote
Did you get them here in the states? Or from the company listed above?
Did you just press them in with a vice? Or is there a special tool required?tup

Posted: Aug 4, 2016 at 0:53 Quote
eicca wrote:
I just put OBs in my Jekyll and I love it. The only issue was that the aluminum spacers that go between the shock and the frame were slightly too thick and caused some hideous noise until I filed them down so the contact was being made on the bushing itself instead of the spacer rings.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them! Were you using the spacers with the standard Fox DU?

gspot2000 wrote:
Did you get them here in the states? Or from the company listed above?
Did you just press them in with a vice? Or is there a special tool required?tup

There are currently no companies in the States offering them, however our shipping only takes a week Smile

They press in by hand, though we recommend our DU instillation tool for pressing in new DU bushes.

Posted: Aug 4, 2016 at 6:59 Quote
I was using the stock DU. The one that came in the OB kit wasn't any narrower though. The spacers were resting on the shock eyelet itself.

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 at 23:41 Quote
So I went to my local shop to get the DU pressed out. Don't have a vice
myself or the tools. Anyway when I came home I noticed the shaft was twisted
I was able to straighten it and it installed on the frame fine. Rode around the block
off some curbs. Seems fine. But did they toast my DYAD? Don't want to go out
for a gnarly ride and have my shock blow up. Any advice?Confused Frown

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 at 7:22 Quote
eicca wrote:
I was using the stock DU. The one that came in the OB kit wasn't any narrower though. The spacers were resting on the shock eyelet itself.

Hi eicca,
do you have any photos?

I've just ordered offset busing and I'd like to get ready before installation? Did you instal 2 on the DYAD or just one? is direction important?

Thanks...

gspot2000 if I ware you I'd go back to the shop and have shock checked by an expert...

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 at 7:53 Quote
Gspot, that shaft will rotate when disconnected. There's no keyway or anything to keep it from spinning; it's all circular seals and things. If you unbolt the DYAD it'll spin by hand just fine. Nothing to worry about.

Vasja, when you install the bushings make sure the aluminum spacers do not protrude further than the brass bushing itself. The brass bushing should be the only thing making contact with the frame. I had to run my spacer rings across a metal file until they were thin enough.

I installed two bushings for maximum offset. I don't have any photos but it's an easy job. The eyelets should be rotated so they are as far from each other as possible since the DYAD is a pull shock

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 at 7:59 Quote
Hi, thank you eicca ...

And did you also replace DU bushings?

Is that mandatory/recommended or can I just keep the old one and have an even easier installation?

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 at 10:36 Quote
I didn't change my DU bushings only because my bike is pretty much still new. But if you've got a season or more on yours it'd be a good idea to change them.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 14:36 Quote
eicca, I am a Geometry idiot but.......of you rotate them so that they are as far as possible from each other...doesn't this stretch the damper? I am seriously asking and already have a headache caused by that...Wink

In my brain I think the eyelets should be both pointed downwards to slacken the hAngle?

I am also a 2015 Jekyll team rider and I am thinking of getting these offset bushings..

Thanks!!Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013218
Mobile Version of Website