Hoping to get some advice on an older cross country bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Hoping to get some advice on an older cross country bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 16:55 Quote
I bought a month ago a 2008 Giant Anthem Advanced for $900 cause I cannot afford a new bike at this quality. I need a bike at this level as I ride hard and every day.

Problem is its breaking lots and hard to source parts because it's 9 speed and 26 inch wheels. Did I make a mistake buying it and should I sell it and save for a new bike?

Sorry if this sounds stupid

Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 17:33 Quote
Its not hard to find 9spd components, or 26" wheels. Particularly if youre looking for deals. While the LBS may not have a great supply, the online retailers have fantastic prices.

That said, if you are looking to upgrade your drivetrain, you could easily turn it into a 10spd... although that would be costly.

You can also use some 10spd parts in a 9spd system, if you can find better prices on the 10spd stuff. 10spd Rear derailleurs (for the most part) will work on a 9spd cassette and shifter. as will 10spd chains (with or without a 10spd mech).

With the exception frame spares (pivots, linkages,bolts), you can still buy all the parts you need to keep the bike running.

.... I think 900$ is a bit steep, for a bike from 2008...500$ would have been more reasonable .. but the deal is done , and it really depends the local supply of used rides, and how much work had recently gone into it.

While I have a modern trail bike, I still ride my 1998 Xc hard tail regularly, and I keep upgrading parts all the time. I also have a short travel park bike, 9spd, 26" .. and I just picked up a set of wheels and rear mech for it a few months ago.

Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 17:38 Quote
Thank you that makes me feel a bit better. i have been sitting here all night pissed off cause my bike shops wont help me here in canada get the parts I need. I got advised to call this shop in Milwuakie that has access to 9 speed parts in XTR. They quoted me $500 canadian just for the cassette so.

I honestly don't know where to turn to buy online. I don't want used as that sketches me out but maybe thats the best bet, like ebay?

So what you are saying though is I can get high end replacements for several years yet?

Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 18:40 Quote
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en

Chain Reaction is what I use the most. You should be able to find a 9spd XT cassette and chain for under 80 bucks from there.

Just don't pick tracked or expedited delivery, you are going to get hit with import fees, duty and taxes. If you pick the free shipping option, it comes by canada post in 7-14 days, and you may or may not pay additional tax on it when it arrives.

I always try and check the LBS first, but I find that more and more, unless its new, current and top end, they don't have it instock... Kinda bullshit though that they couldn't just order you a 9spd cassette. I guarantee that they have access to one from one of their distributors, and they could have it for you in less than 4 days... I would guess for about 120 bucks for an XT.

Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 19:03 Quote
Like mentioned, 9 speed parts are still fairly easy to find. You just won't find much new high end stuff like XTR unless it's dead stock.

Same goes for rims and tires. Your local shop may not carry it since it's not in much demand, but for sure it can be found and ordered online.

I've been using UK shops for my past few orders. The discounts they offer usually can't be found here in the US. I bought a Reverb and some Schwalbe tires from Merlin Cycles. They got to California in about a week.

Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 19:16 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:

Chain Reaction is what I use the most. You should be able to find a 9spd XT cassette and chain for under 80 bucks from there.

Just don't pick tracked or expedited delivery, you are going to get hit with import fees, duty and taxes. If you pick the free shipping option, it comes by canada post in 7-14 days, and you may or may not pay additional tax on it when it arrives.

I always try and check the LBS first, but I find that more and more, unless its new, current and top end, they don't have it instock... Kinda bullshit though that they couldn't just order you a 9spd cassette. I guarantee that they have access to one from one of their distributors, and they could have it for you in less than 4 days... I would guess for about 120 bucks for an XT.

Bro that site is sick. Your the king! seriously everything I need is there. Thank you. They even have 26 inch xtr rims

Posted: Jul 29, 2016 at 0:21 Quote
captaindigness wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

Bro that site is sick. Your the king! seriously everything I need is there. Thank you. They even have 26 inch xtr rims

Without that site I couldn't afford to mtb.

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 16:41 Quote
Ya Chain Reaction Cycle is the bomb but so is Cmcrawfo. I recently did the same with an even older hardtail for the exact same reason, budget. He was totally for updating my old ride as opposed to scrapping it. I've been out a few times now and on a 20 year old rig having not ridden in twenty years myself I'm already running middle of the pack on Strava on our trail network. Watch out, Frankenstumpy is coming for you! Good luck with your ride! Cheers again Cmcrawfo!

Posted: Aug 9, 2016 at 16:50 Quote
photo

Here's my 94 Stumpy by the way.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009310
Mobile Version of Website