I have a 26" dirt-jumper. Should I buy a bmx.

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
I have a 26" dirt-jumper. Should I buy a bmx.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 13:08 Quote
Ok so I got into biking about a year ago, I started out with a big freeride bike. I have since gained some appreciation for throwing barspins and 360's. I took my big bike apart and threw all the components on a dirt-jumper frame. The bike is flickable but is still hard to learn new stuff on.

I was thinking about buying a BMX bike over the summer to pin down some new skills and to have something to ride off the trails. Is it worth buying a BMX or should i sack up and keep trying stuff on my 26"

I have a
- shitty table
- x-up
- backflip
- working on 360s, barspins, and tailwhips

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 13:33 Quote
always worth buying a bmx...but do what you want...

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
id stay with the MTB. for some people it is easier to learn some stuff on a bmx then transfer it. personally i hate them. just too small, aukward to ride and the opposite from what im used to. IMO bmxs are better for small techy stuff and MTB is better for bigger stuff i bought a smaller MTB with 24" to learn on then make a smaller transition back. keep ur MTB. BTW nice trick list

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
Im lookin for something that i can hold on to for a couple summers. I dont think i need the best bike in the world though, I dont care if it has odessey hubs or anything like that. I would like a decent set of cranks and rims though.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 13:39 Quote
bmx's are practical...they are a hell of alot cheaper, usually dont break as much...low maintence...overall better imo...but thats when preference kicks in...

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 13:42 Quote
If you want to. I personaly find riding a bmx scetchy because i had never owned one and i was used to mtb's. But you can get a pretty solid bmx for pretty cheep soo..
its up to you.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 14:27 Quote
You guys should tell me what kind of riding you're doing currently. If youre just a mountain biker who doesnt like the idea of riding BMX, I want to know. I have no bias towards any style of biking, and I would like to be the best I can at whatever biking I am exposed to. As for BMX riders, If you think Bmx is the way to go, tell me what bikes are hot right now. I dont think i'll be spending anywhere near what I have already invested in my mtbs, so im open to anything.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 14:32 Quote
i mainly ride/race dh but ive got a hardtail and a bmx as well, and ive gotta say i love the bmx. its great fun for messing around skateparks n stuff on, and ive tried stupid stuff like flips and nothings ever broken - one gear, one brake, no suspension = nothing to go wrong.
plus if u look second hand u can get an ok one for not much at all

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 14:39 Quote
burnburger wrote:
You guys should tell me what kind of riding you're doing currently. If youre just a mountain biker who doesnt like the idea of riding BMX, I want to know. I have no bias towards any style of biking, and I would like to be the best I can at whatever biking I am exposed to. As for BMX riders, If you think Bmx is the way to go, tell me what bikes are hot right now. I dont think i'll be spending anywhere near what I have already invested in my mtbs, so im open to anything.

i ride bmx...dj/street...um look at fitbikeco, wtp and subrosa bikes

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
I ride DH,freeride and trails( i got a dh bike for that)

i also ride street and dj with my hardtail

i ride park with my 24 and sometimes dj and street my my hardtail is missing some parts

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 12:04 Quote
bmx is definatly the way to go if you are looking to improve quickly. i used to have a dirt jumper as well, then switched over to bmx. way easier to spin, less sluggish and so much more fun. i ride street and park on my bike, a fitbikeco. check their site they got reliable stuff if you buy one of the higher end ones. make sure its got a full chromoly frame, fork and bars at least and double wall rims. once you switch you will probably never go back(at least for street and park) , i for sure am not. good companies are wethepeople, fit, colony, kink, integral, subrosa, volume. volume lets you build up a custom complete, picking one of their frames and most parts, for about 1000 american( all aftermarket stuff so ya its expensive) try riding a friends if thats possible, thats how i got into it, just to see if you really like it.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
i have ridden mtbs for about 5-6 years. i got my first bmx two winters ago just to try it out. i liked it, but it was a really crap GT so i ended snapping the bars in two places, cracking the chainring and bending the frame. so i went back to big bikes. i have recently bought another bmx, an eastern shovelhead, which cost me £270 (about 500 US) because i have moved away to uni and theres an amazing concrete park not far from where i am.

a bmx is good for me, and would be for you, for several reasons.
1. a lot cheaper. for £270 for a mtb you would get crappy cable discs, rst forks and gears that would stop working after 2 weeks. i get a sealed cassette bi-directional hub (can be run lhd), micro gearing, internally clamped stem, intergrated seat clamp, 3 piece cranks etc etc.
2. practicality. a lot smaller to store, and if it gets nicked, its not £1k of mtb (what i have at home)
3. fun and suitability. anyone who says a mtb is as good in a park or on street as a bmx is either being a tit or has never ridden a bmx properly. smaller wheels and standover make it easier to ride, a lot easier to hop and spin and much more nimble in the air.

get something cheap, no need to spend much, and try it out for a bit. a solid frame and a decent set of cranks and youll be set. i guarentee you will enjoy it, and you can pretty much ride a bmx anywhere. even a session on the driveway practicing manuals and hops can be fun. on a mtb it feels like a waste if im not doing something big on it.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
I ride BMX because I find you have more freedom and style. BMX is more affordable than mtb'ing and in my community the BMX scene is really taking off and I thought I'd like to be apart of it. BMX is a very social thing such as other types of biking but over the last couple of years, I've found that...at least where I live... the BMX scene is a lot tighter knit then the MTB crowd. Some quality BMX's I would suggest that won't rob the bank are...

The 2008 Eastern Element for $414.99

[L=http://www.danscomp.com/101662.php?cat=BIKES]
The Kink Apex (ON SALE ATM!!!) For $559.99[/L]

The Verde Method For $459.99

And The WeThePeople Addict(I'm buying this at the end of the month!) for $419.99

Hope this helped!

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 16:04 Quote
416rider wrote:
I ride BMX because I find you have more freedom and style. BMX is more affordable than mtb'ing and in my community the BMX scene is really taking off and I thought I'd like to be apart of it. BMX is a very social thing such as other types of biking but over the last couple of years, I've found that...at least where I live... the BMX scene is a lot tighter knit then the MTB crowd. Some quality BMX's I would suggest that won't rob the bank are...

The 2008 Eastern Jane for $414.99
[L=http://www.danscomp.com/101662.php?cat=BIKES]
The Kink Apex (ON SALE ATM!!!) For $559.99[/L]

The Verde Method For $459.99

And The WeThePeople Addict(I'm buying this at the end of the month!) for $419.99

Hope this helped!
I like that easter bike, I'm used to a little bit longer toptube, so that thing looks like the way to go. I think i'll end up buyin a BMX after the snow melts up here.

Posted: Feb 8, 2008 at 6:02 Quote
sort of a biased forum area to post this question, but I say, if you have the cash, buy both. I use my bmx to do little technical things, and my MTB for bigger stuff like DJ's. And when you get bored of one, you can use the other.

I have a P3 and I just bought a FIT AM, thats why I say this.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011556
Mobile Version of Website