Help me choose my next bike: bronson 2 vs 5010 2.0

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help me choose my next bike: bronson 2 vs 5010 2.0
O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2017 at 9:39 Quote
sixstringsteve wrote:
jaykalafatis wrote:
Thanks for all this info guys. I'll probably end up going with a Bronson for 2 reasons. 1) seems like it may be a bit more versatile from what you guys say and 2) Absolutely no shops around me rent/demo the 5010 in an XL (only backcountry.com demos it at all), so I doubt I will be able to test one out.

The Nomad is a trophy truck. The bronson is a ford raptor. The 5010 is a rally STI.

Even though the ford raptor is more versatile, the STI will be way more fun on a rally course, and the trophy truck will be way more fun for desert racing. All three will be fun in the dirt, it just comes down to what types of trails you'll be doing.

Do you have any experience with the Bronson V1? It seems like its geometry almost splits the difference between the 5010 V2 and the Bronson V2. It has the same HT angle as the 5010 V2, but the travel of the Bronson V2

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 6:39 Quote
I haven't ridden a B1 long enough to make any judgments on how it would fit for my riding style. Looking at the numbers, I feel the B2 is the better fit for me, but some people might prefer the B1.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 9:32 Quote
I'd probably go to a shop where I could take out each bike on a trail and see which one I like more. I have a '14 5010 and have used it on the Whole Enchilada, Pike's Peak Bar trail (14 miles of descent), downhill in Vail, muddy trails in Oregon, and lots of technical and cross country terrain. The only time I've thought 'more' suspension would be better was in some areas with washed out rutted terrain, which probably feels bumpy on any bike. The bike can feel short on longer descents (meaning you feel that it is a more nimble bike and not a DH rig). On many rides you spend much more time climbing or traversing than descending, so it is important to find which bike you like more for technical ascending and tight circumstances. I live in an area (New Mexico) which can have a lot of chunky, nasty obstacles. If I lived somewhere that trails were generally smooth/flowing then I'd probably choose a Bronson (which might sound counterintuitive). In a similar category, I also would consider the Pivot Mach 5.5/6. All in all, I love my 5010 and 3 years later it has been bullet proof reliable.

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 20:57 Quote
After spending a lot of time at outerbike riding a bunch of other bikes, I still love my bronson. I love the switch infinity design and feel and efficiency, but the geometry of all the yetis are too xc for me. A 17.2 chainstay and a 67.2* ha are just not playful enough for a short guy like me. If the sb5+ had the geometry of a 5010, it would be my dream bike.

Ive really fallen for plus bikes lately. I think a 5010 with a 140 fork and 2.8 minions would be incredible. Sadly, plus tires dont fit. I realize that sc makes a Hightower plus and a tallboy plus, but the Hightower just feels too long in the chainstay for me. If i were 5'8 or 5'10 itd probably be a different story.

I'm currently running a 2.5WT in the rear (on an I9 30.5mm id rim) and a 2.8 minion dhf up front. I'm really digging the is combo on the bronson.

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 17:01 Quote
sixstringsteve wrote:
After spending a lot of time at outerbike riding a bunch of other bikes, I still love my bronson. I love the switch infinity design and feel and efficiency, but the geometry of all the yetis are too xc for me. A 17.2 chainstay and a 67.2* ha are just not playful enough for a short guy like me. If the sb5+ had the geometry of a 5010, it would be my dream bike.

Ive really fallen for plus bikes lately. I think a 5010 with a 140 fork and 2.8 minions would be incredible. Sadly, plus tires dont fit. I realize that sc makes a Hightower plus and a tallboy plus, but the Hightower just feels too long in the chainstay for me. If i were 5'8 or 5'10 itd probably be a different story.

I'm currently running a 2.5WT in the rear (on an I9 30.5mm id rim) and a 2.8 minion dhf up front. I'm really digging the is combo on the bronson.

2.5 rear and 2.8 front ??? That’s some seriiiiious mountain slaying righ there with the Bronson haha. I wonder how a 5010 would be like with that tire setup

Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 20:15 Quote
It'd probably be very similar to my bronson. Great for square edged rocks (Moab and fruita) and loose sandy stuff but a little more sluggish on the long climbs. A 2.8 DHF only weighs 95g more than a 2.5 wt, so I figured it was worth a shot. I'm happy with it. I wish I could fit a 2.8 recon out back.

What a lot of people don't realize is that a 2.8 plus tire is hardly any taller than a 2.3. It's just wider. And when you factor in the tire sag at lower pressures, the bb height and geo remains unchanged from a regular 650b bike. Ibis talks about this a lot. A 2.8 plus tire on a 35-40mm id rim is way closer in height to a 650b tire than a 29er.

The more plus bikes I ride, the more I enjoy them. Apart from ibis, I haven't found a plus bike with a slack headtube angle and a short chainstay . Theyre all trying to do double duty with 29ers and a flip chip which means 17.2 chainstays, which is not playful. The tallboy comes close with a 17" chainstay but I really feel like I need more than 110mm of travel. Id love to be proven wrong and to find out that a 110mm tallboy would work for me, but the 68* hta is also a killer.

I think a 5010 with a 140mm fork that could run 2.8s front and back would be ideal for me. I feel like I can get away with 20mm less travel when I ride a plus bike, and the geo of a 5010 is dialed.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 6:44 Quote
sixstringsteve wrote:
It'd probably be very similar to my bronson. Great for square edged rocks (Moab and fruita) and loose sandy stuff but a little more sluggish on the long climbs. A 2.8 DHF only weighs 95g more than a 2.5 wt, so I figured it was worth a shot. I'm happy with it. I wish I could fit a 2.8 recon out back.

What a lot of people don't realize is that a 2.8 plus tire is hardly any taller than a 2.3. It's just wider. And when you factor in the tire sag at lower pressures, the bb height and geo remains unchanged from a regular 650b bike. Ibis talks about this a lot. A 2.8 plus tire on a 35-40mm id rim is way closer in height to a 650b tire than a 29er.

The more plus bikes I ride, the more I enjoy them. Apart from ibis, I haven't found a plus bike with a slack headtube angle and a short chainstay . Theyre all trying to do double duty with 29ers and a flip chip which means 17.2 chainstays, which is not playful. The tallboy comes close with a 17" chainstay but I really feel like I need more than 110mm of travel. Id love to be proven wrong and to find out that a 110mm tallboy would work for me, but the 68* hta is also a killer.

I think a 5010 with a 140mm fork that could run 2.8s front and back would be ideal for me. I feel like I can get away with 20mm less travel when I ride a plus bike, and the geo of a 5010 is dialed.

Interesting about the 2.8 tires... Speaking of Slack HT & short CS, I just pulled the trigger on one Wink . Canfield Balance - 65 head angle with a 16.5 chainstay.

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 9:15 Quote
That sounds like an ideal combo! Heading over to canfield's website to learn more about it now...

Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 8:57 Quote
Debating these two in aluminum. I have a Giant Glory for DH, and a Scott Voltage (170mm front/rear) for freeride. Do I go Bronson or 5010? I like to jump, but also want something that can climb really well.

Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 18:03 Quote
Wow, lots of Utah dudes on here. I’ve been out of state since 2010 for med-school and residency, but I’ve got a job back in Utah this summer. Any of you guys down to show me some of the new trails? I’m not an SC guy, I ride a Jeffsy, but I’d be really down to find (or start) a group when I get back this summer. New England MTB riding sucks when you’ve got the Wasatch as your back yard and Moab and Hurricane just down the road.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 at 9:46 Quote
Sixstringsteve,

I live in Fruita so I ride 18 Road north Fruita desert and kokopelli a lot. I am not a racer or advanced but I do like to go fast when I can. My 7 year old son now loves mountain biking so we are usually at a little tamer speed. I’m just wondering your (and others) opinions on whether a Bronson or 5010 would be best. I have been riding a Devinci Troy which I have loved. The lbs is getting s Bronson for me to demo but now I am wondering if a 5010 would be more appropriate???

I am on the smaller side at 5’7” and 130 pounds.

Thanks all!!!

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2018 at 11:21 Quote
If you're usually riding with the 7 year old, the 5010 would be a better fit IMO

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 8:02 Quote
I agree with Utah Ben. Either bike will be just fine. 18 road and kokopellki will probably be more fun on the 5010 at the speeds you'll be traveling at. That being said, the bronson will do just fine, but it'll push you to look for rowdier stuff to hit.

The great news is that since this thread started, my wife now rides black diamonds and she's outgrown her 5010. We'll be looking for a new 150mm slack bike for her next ride.

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 20:51 Quote
Br010 it and get the best of both worlds:

photo

150 mm 36's up front, and if you long-shock with a 57mm stroke shock (float X) you get ~145 mm out back. Current DPX2 doest quite fit at 57 mm as it hits the TT on full bottom out. Currently custom stroke at about 53mm for ~135 mm travel.

Can huck if req'd:

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027292
Mobile Version of Website