Is 170mm of travel hard to climb with?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Is 170mm of travel hard to climb with?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 15, 2016 at 19:41 Quote
Looking at bikes like the new Enduro 650b and the YT Capra, is 170mm harder to climb with vs 160mm? I'm looking for a bike that I can use at a park but also function as a trail bike. Trying to find that travel sweet spot.

Posted: Aug 16, 2016 at 3:22 Quote
bridgermurray wrote:
Looking at bikes like the new Enduro 650b and the YT Capra, is 170mm harder to climb with vs 160mm? I'm looking for a bike that I can use at a park but also function as a trail bike. Trying to find that travel sweet spot.

my setup is reign with 170mm fork and its great there is a few % of a noticeable difference once you go from 160 to 170mm but i wouldn't change back.

Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 12:10 Quote
I have 170 mm Fox 36 on my Strive. Climbing is not a problem.

Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 12:47 Quote
The YT might be harder to climb because girls will be throwing panties at you.

Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 18:03 Quote
I have a 170mm bike,it works, just not great for climbing,but it will get you to the top.It is worth it if you have fun DH trails to go back down

Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 22:49 Quote
Thedude928 wrote:
The YT might be harder to climb because girls will be throwing panties at you.
lmaoooo

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 8:40 Quote
i have 170mm lyric comboed with a 35mm stem. I definitely wrestle the front end around a bit on climbs. but i don't think that is the only reason i suck at climbing. but let's face it if you have a 170mm travel bike, you are in this for the downs anyways.

Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 9:34 Quote
I use 80mm to climb, 170 may feel uncomfortable and heavy for me ????

Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 9:39 Quote
If your talking about undulating (up/down) trail rides you probably want a bike that pedals well. Most bikes in the 170mm category are going to be geared more towards the decent.

If your looking for more of an all rounder look at gemerally look at something in the 150/160mm range but more importantly read reviews and if possible demos.

Personally Im riding a commencal meta v4 and its great on my pedally trail/XC rides and does pretty good at the bike park too.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 22:06 Quote
Most new Enduro bikes are going the 170mm route and a lot of them are good climbers. They have to be at least decent because, as you know, the Enduro riders have to earn their turns. At the end of the day though, if you're looking for the best climber you're not an AM/Enduro rider; you're looking for an XC bike.

Posted: Aug 25, 2016 at 16:31 Quote
dbendixen wrote:
Most new Enduro bikes are going the 170mm route and a lot of them are good climbers. They have to be at least decent because, as you know, the Enduro riders have to earn their turns. At the end of the day though, if you're looking for the best climber you're not an AM/Enduro rider; you're looking for an XC bike.

No I'm actually not looking for an XC bike -_- (was that supposed to be some kind of veiled insult).. I'm looking for a long travel trail bike or mid-travel AM bike- take your pick, that is a decent climber. I'm also very much an AM rider. I don't know what you ride but the purpose of being an AM rider is to be able to get down, and up the mountain with equal finesse. All I'm saying is I don't want to get a watered down DH bike that is incapable of climbing anything but low-grade fire roads. As a lot of bikes in the 170-190 range fit that discription.

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2016 at 17:44 Quote
170mm bike is not all mountain imo, sure they pedal ok and will go anywhere but compared to a 140mm travel they are slugs.

The 140-150 mm bikes are way more effecient and more than capable of handling all but bike park descents.

Jared Graves racing a stumpjumper at a few EWS races shows how good they are.

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2016 at 23:42 Quote
No veiled insult. The way you asked it sounded like you wanted something that didn't compromise at all on climbing. You'll be hard-pressed to find that outside of a solid XC bike.

Like he said above the Stumpy is a great example of,what you're looking for. Jared Graves rode it for that reason (And because the '17 Enduro hadn't officially launched yet.) The Stumpy is probably 45-50% uphill/XC and 50-55% downhill. The Enduro is 40/60 IMO.

That said, I think it entirely depends on what you're after. If you're racing the decision is totally different than if you're in it for fitness/fun. If it's the latter go for more travel (if you'll use it). If you think it'll be sluggish then consider it an extra challenge and realize you'll be stronger and faster because of it. It's like doing sit-ups with a weight plate on your chest. OK, not that extreme but you get the point. Honestly, I had the same concern when I got my Enduro but in my case, since my previous bike was a 17 year old 26er, I saw immediate improvements with the "sluggish" Enduro beast.

Posted: Aug 26, 2016 at 7:47 Quote
For reference -I have a 160mm Pike + Fox X2 (without climb switch) rear shock on my Med '15 Giant reign, and 170mm Fox 36 + Fox Float X on my Large '15 Nomad, I climb better on the Nomad and this is due to the rear "climb switch" function of the rear shock and probably suspension design. So perhaps keep the rear shock in mind as well!

O+
Posted: Aug 27, 2016 at 7:52 Quote
I would say it depends on your terrain. Strictly talking about decents, if you ride mainly flowy jump trails go with 160mm because you won't necessarily need that extra travel and you'll be able to pedal a lot better. Now if you ride rocky gnar go 170mm because you'll be very grateful even for that 10mm difference when it comes to rocks. Suffer up the climbs and rip the downs. I ride a sanction with 170mm lyrik and it's not too terrible to climb with in the the East Tennessee Appalachians. Just my 2 cents

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008335
Mobile Version of Website