Should MTB be in the X-Games?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Should MTB be in the X-Games?
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 at 18:14 Quote
statler wrote:
I've made my point. You want to continue this pointless debate? Fine by me. But I'me not going to be in it.

yes im getting tired of it also

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 14:31 Quote
i wish mountain bike was in the x games but can they really compete with BMX? check out this video.

http://www.broadbandsports.com/node/16891&px=1

Posted: Sep 12, 2009 at 21:34 Quote
I think that they should have Dirt Jumping comps in the X-Games, but only because having DH/FR/SS defeats the purpose of having the X-Games in the city.

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 at 21:42 Quote
I'm pretty sure they do have BMX Dirt. Unless you mean MTB dirt comps.

Posted: Sep 13, 2009 at 10:34 Quote
evilrydr wrote:
I'm pretty sure they do have BMX Dirt. Unless you mean MTB dirt comps.
Yeah that's what I meant.

Posted: Sep 14, 2009 at 14:45 Quote
yea lets commercialize the f*ck out of this great independent sport that still has its roots in the underground. im already seeing footage from rampage in car commercials please provide a vessel for me to vomit into.

Posted: Sep 14, 2009 at 15:04 Quote
Your romantic vision of the MTB industry is very misguided. It's commercial/sponsorship-reliant like BMX or moto, just less mainstream. Hell, it's sometimes the same companies. Don't imagine that this is some minor underground scene, we're not hippies racing cruisers in Marin County any more....

Nissan UCI MTB World Cup?
Monster Energy/Kokanee Slopestyle?
Qashqai Urban Challenge?

It's always relied on the mainstream, and it's inevitable.

Posted: Sep 14, 2009 at 15:13 Quote
dood no one in america knows what dh is. If there isnt a motor attached to it it isnt fun to americans. Sticking it in everyones face to make money off of it will get the wrong people involved and ruin it for everyone.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 at 15:54 Quote
both of you guys have valid points, its a very difficult balance between staying true to the hardcore members of your sport, or trying to grow it through sponsorship. FlyingFish is right that Americans do not value cycling the way other (i.e. European) countries do. It is a small core scene in each state (if at all). The familiarity with freestyle mountain biking is lacking, people would simply see it as the same as BMX. We already have the X-Games for this sport: Crankworx, Rampage, etc. You honestly think guys like Tony Hawk, Dave Mirra (sorry these were my era of xgamers), etc. think that the X-Games epitomized their sport? Hell no, it was built for the masses the generate $$$$$$$$$$$$$. In America, we don't need to worry about it. To the masses, slopestyle and dj already exists, just on wee little bikes. And as we all know, the X-Games are about pleasing the masses.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 at 14:26 Quote
fortune wrote:
luke has good it nailed! he is right i mean atm if we did the top bmx pros vs the top mtbters they would mod the floor with us just because theyre sport has evolved more - in a couple of yrs it could be a differnt story! for mtb to be added to the x games it would need to be on a slopestyle course coming down a mountain or atleast on something completly different AND ALOT bigger than the bmx courses because they would be to similiar... mtb tricks are there standard bmx tricks so they would have to be of hugh suff to make them look up to par with the bmx.

personaly i dont think its worth adding mtb to the x games. if there was to be something like the x games for mtbing it would have to be done speratly, they should do something with trialsl, 4x, xc, fr, dj, slopestyle, and DH and make that 1 event.

But Mountain bikes are far far bigger than bmx'es and heavier, so i doubt that the sport will evolve to the point were BMXing only looks a tad better trick wise....

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 at 14:33 Quote
i dont think it should be in the x-games, i like how slopestyle and stuff isnt very well- known. usually when i tell someone i MTB they think its like XC or something... which is good in a way, because i dont want it to get too popular.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 14:11 Quote
fall0ut wrote:
i dont think it should be in the x-games, i like how slopestyle and stuff isnt very well- known. usually when i tell someone i MTB they think its like XC or something... which is good in a way, because i dont want it to get too popular.
hell yea dood. I saw a commercial for PC and some dumb chick was all like " I'm a pc and i downhill mountain bike" I was like shhh you dumb bia yer spillin the beans!!! + u r a sell out. HA

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 14:14 Quote
FlyingFish wrote:
fall0ut wrote:
hell yea dood. I saw a commercial for PC and some dumb chick was all like " I'm a pc and i downhill mountain bike" I was like shhh you dumb bia yer spillin the beans!!! + u r a sell out. HA

yea really, once too many people start doing one thing there will start being posers and all that crap that happened when skateboarding got really popular.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 14:23 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
no...

why not? it happens with all sports

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012628
Mobile Version of Website