2017 Giant Reign Owners

PB Forum :: Giant
2017 Giant Reign Owners
Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 1:22 Quote
I have a question regarding the shock on the reign 1 advanced. I have the standard fox float x2 on there which is fantastic but I cant find any info online about the specific model. Most X2's have high speed and low speed compression and rebound settings which are adjusted by a 3mm and 6mm hex key. On the one on the reign the rebound is only low speed as there is only a 3mm hex to adjust... am i missing something here?

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 10:11 Quote
I was wondering the same because i am about to buy a reign 1.5 ltd. Maybe is cheaper model only for giant and don't sell separate. I think is the same with the fox fork. It could be possible to change the internal if there is spares

Posted: Apr 22, 2017 at 8:02 Quote
I recently purchased the '17 advanced. The fork is "Performance Elite" and has exactly the same internals as the factory series except it has black stanchions instead of kashima gold. The damper and air spring are exactly the same. The shock is "Performance" series and lacks the high speed adjustments of the Factory series. In my opinion it is super high quality and matches the suspension design of the frame perfectly. The adjustments on the shock and ability to add volume spacers have been more than enough for me.

Posted: May 25, 2017 at 2:27 Quote
Picking up a 17 advance 1 soon but I weigh 220 with gear and I am worried if the X2 will be able to handle that kind of weight. I have read lighter riders bottoming a lot even with the maximum amount of tokens installed.

Posted: May 25, 2017 at 9:55 Quote
Bassy37 wrote:
Picking up a 17 advance 1 soon but I weigh 220 with gear and I am worried if the X2 will be able to handle that kind of weight. I have read lighter riders bottoming a lot even with the maximum amount of tokens installed.

I would say it fully depends on how you ride the bike and what you use it for. I am 190lbs without gear and I do about 80% all mountain riding and 20% shuttles. I am running the X2 stock and I play around with the PSI to get closer to 20-25% sag rather than the recommended 30%. If I was using this bike as a park bike then I would look at getting some tokens in there (I think there is room for 2 more).

Posted: May 25, 2017 at 10:03 Quote
Check out this video. Looks like the X2 comes with a stock volume reducer and the ability to add a max of 3 orange spacers.

Posted: May 27, 2017 at 12:07 Quote
I just purchased the 2018 X2 for my Reign 2. I am 250lbs. I hope this works for technical and bikepark.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 14:10 Quote
it depends on a size. with 200x57 (for reign) you can put maximum 2 spacers (air chamber reducers).
with longer x2 you can put more, up to 5 (i think, or more)

i weight 73kg (without gear), i've two bands inside X2 (maximum), 175psi and it's easy to use almost whole travel (i run just 2-3 clicks of high and low compression, could add 1-2 clicks to not use whole travel so easily)

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 23:06 Quote
Anyone had any issues with snapping the pulls in the freehub??? I have the 2017 Reign 2 and have torn 2 apart in 5 months. They have finally replaced it with a better spec (well I trust they have done it).

Also just added 4 volume reducing bands in the monarch rt shock, so can't wait to drop the pressure a little, was riding at 280psi to get the right sag and still would bottom out.

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 23:47 Quote
I've got a large Reign 2. I'm 6' with a 30" inseam. It feels a bit long (the reach) for me. Anyone my size ride a medium? Thanks

Posted: Jun 8, 2017 at 15:36 Quote
-dogwood wrote:
I've got a large Reign 2. I'm 6' with a 30" inseam. It feels a bit long (the reach) for me. Anyone my size ride a medium? Thanks

I'm 6' 1/2" and I love the large size. Yeah it's not a small bike but it feels so planted through rough sections and awesome with jumping. My dirt jump bike is a lot smaller and its more playfull, but I wouldn't want to hit stuff at the pace I hit with the reign on something that size.

Posted: Jun 8, 2017 at 23:38 Quote
cunniff81 wrote:
-dogwood wrote:

I'm 6' 1/2" and I love the large size. Yeah it's not a small bike but it feels so planted through rough sections and awesome with jumping. My dirt jump bike is a lot smaller and its more playfull, but I wouldn't want to hit stuff at the pace I hit with the reign on something that size.

Thank you for your insight man.

Posted: Apr 14, 2018 at 16:58 Quote
Wanting to upgrade my rear shock, thinking DPX2, X2 or CCDB Coil? Any thoughts? I'm 95 kitted up if that makes a difference.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 23:17 Quote
Hey, I had A 2016 reign advanced and I got a warranty frame and was replaced with a 2017 model, basically the same Frame. I don’t find that the monarch rear shock from the 2016 bike is smooth. It had been overhauled....I run it at 210 pounds and have five tokens in it with a SAG of 30%. I was wondering about upgrading to The Fox Float X2 Performance rear shock they used in 2017. Wonder if it’s a good upgrade And if the fox shock is worth the money with a noticeable difference. Has anyone written those two shocks on this bike back to back?

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 2:50 Quote
On my float x2 2017 i run at 230-40 psi to get it to my liking, have tried running it lower but it gets to plush for me(no tokens added except from factory one). Im 198lbs and love riding bikeparks with jumps, my brother runs with monarch shock from 2017, about the same weight as me. Theres a slight difference in performance i guess but its not 500$ worth of performance gain if u ask me, dunno if theres any difference in 2016-2017 monarchs tho.

Imo.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013212
Mobile Version of Website