New bike advice please

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
New bike advice please
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2016 at 20:29 Quote
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a new bike an I'm kinda overwhelmed by the amount of choice. I've narrowed it down somewhat to the Devinci Troy carbon or the Santa Cruz Bronson or 5010. The Santa Cruz bikes with a pike for a a lot more expensive than the Devinci with a pike and I'm wondering if the extra cost is worth it. The device seems better specced, x1 drivetrain and 800 or so dollars cheaper compared to gx mixture on the 2 Santa Cruz, and I can get the Troy rs with gx drivetrain for 3999 were as the Santa Cruz is 6300 CAD. Any thoughts or advice would be of great help.
Thanks in advance for your help

Posted: Aug 28, 2016 at 20:34 Quote
Will-1984 wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a new bike an I'm kinda overwhelmed by the amount of choice. I've narrowed it down somewhat to the Devinci Troy carbon or the Santa Cruz Bronson or 5010. The Santa Cruz bikes with a pike for a a lot more expensive than the Devinci with a pike and I'm wondering if the extra cost is worth it. The device seems better specced, x1 drivetrain and 800 or so dollars cheaper compared to gx mixture on the 2 Santa Cruz, and I can get the Troy rs with gx drivetrain for 3999 were as the Santa Cruz is 6300 CAD. Any thoughts or advice would be of great help.
Thanks in advance for your help

if I were you why not build it up yourself?
Id take a look at a transition and the devinci.
I dont know why but after a while the santa
cruz became somewhat of a turnoff to me.

FL
Posted: Aug 28, 2016 at 20:57 Quote
Santa Cruz bikes are kind of known for being overpriced. They are pretty though! The Devinci would personally be my choice because it is just as good of a bike for less money!

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2016 at 21:35 Quote
I'm not much of a mechanic and not to patient either, I reckon I'd be out of my depth building one up. Also I've just moved to Canada for work and have no tools to build a bike, left them all back home. The devinci gets good reviews everywhere and would suit the kind of riding I'll be doing. Would you go for the rs at 3999 and buy a dropper post or get the xs at 5599, is it worth it for the better drivetrain and brakes.
Can't seem to find a transition anywhere local.
Thanks for your help

FL
Posted: Aug 28, 2016 at 22:42 Quote
The biggest difference between the RS and the SX is the carbon frame on the XS. Your frame material of choice is up to you but the carbon one will be lighter. I also like carbon because you can repair it if a chainstay snaps or something for a couple hundred dollars. If you crack an alloy frame, you need a new one.

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2016 at 22:48 Quote
Sorry I meant the sx, both the sx and rs are carbon, same suspension too, just different drivetrain, brakes and finishing kit and the rs lacks a dropper post. http://www.devinci.com/bikes/bike_708_scategory_166

http://www.devinci.com/bikes/bike_707_scategory_166

Thanks for your help

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 at 0:02 Quote
If you buy a bike, youll have to build it up the same way then if you build one up.
I still would highly recommend building one. you get a cheaper end price
with higher components. where in Canada are you?

FL
Posted: Aug 29, 2016 at 10:06 Quote
I would recommend just buying a stock bike. Bike companies get discounts on bike parts because they are buying in bulk. So they can then pass some of the savings onto the consumer. If you were to buy a everything separately yourself, you will pay more for the same bike than if you bought one stock. I like to buy a bike that is stocked close to how I like and then change things that are more personal. I don't know how Niko182 is paying less by buying his frames and parts. He must get a discount?

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 at 10:34 Quote
mistermtb wrote:
I would recommend just buying a stock bike. Bike companies get discounts on bike parts because they are buying in bulk. So they can then pass some of the savings onto the consumer. If you were to buy a everything separately yourself, you will pay more for the same bike than if you bought one stock. I like to buy a bike that is stocked close to how I like and then change things that are more personal. I don't know how Niko182 is paying less by buying his frames and parts. He must get a discount?

I usually spend a ton of time looking for all the parts. That's the downside to building a bike as cheap as possible.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2016 at 11:10 Quote
I'm in Saskatchewan for work at the moment, not many mountains but I've looked around and seen some potentially decent riding spots. I just need a bike now to go and try them out. I always think that after the frame, suspension is the most important component. Drivetrain wears out, wheels get wrecked but like you said mistermtb , if I were to buy the upgraded parts that are on the sx it'd probably cost more than the 1500 dollar difference. To be honest niko, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, I'll buy a stock bike because it means that once I've got it I can get straight out and ride. I have a hard enough time deciding on a whole bike , so trying to decide on each individual part would take me forever.
Thanks for your help

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 at 11:25 Quote
Will-1984 wrote:
I'm in Saskatchewan for work at the moment, not many mountains but I've looked around and seen some potentially decent riding spots. I just need a bike now to go and try them out. I always think that after the frame, suspension is the most important component. Drivetrain wears out, wheels get wrecked but like you said mistermtb , if I were to buy the upgraded parts that are on the sx it'd probably cost more than the 1500 dollar difference. To be honest niko, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, I'll buy a stock bike because it means that once I've got it I can get straight out and ride. I have a hard enough time deciding on a whole bike , so trying to decide on each individual part would take me forever.
Thanks for your help

in case your interested
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2032042/

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 13:08 Quote
Hi thanks for your help, I've ordered a devinci Troy carbon. Was like trying to find rocking horse sh$t, apparently very popular so sold-out everywhere. Eventually found a very helpful bloke in drumheller who found me one.
Thanks again for your help
Will

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009320
Mobile Version of Website