Canyon Sender Forum

PB Forum :: Downhill
Canyon Sender Forum
Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 22:39 Quote
Agree that invisframe is a pain to do, but completely worth it.

I have a new bike sat in my apartment unridden as I'm waiting for my invisframe to come first. I learned that the hardest with the sender

Posted: Jan 9, 2018 at 8:41 Quote
Use a hot air gun or a hair dryer when fitting the helitape especially in this weather get the chill off the frame and pre warm the tape.. it will stick better and be more pliable to fit. Bike looks great i remember when mine was that shiny!

As for canyon leaving out the shock pump... no surprise really!

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 5:24 Quote
Hi,
I got a brand new Sender out-of-the-box and already have a problem with MX link free play.
It looks like the bushing's flange on both ends of the MX link are missing 0.5 mm for each one.
I have spoken with Canyon's support via Live Chat and the response was that it's normal free play, F$#^&%$>##% B@$&&
Later, I just emailed to the the whole stroy with a full video.
Anyone have seen the same problem ?

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 7:14 Quote
alexad wrote:
Hi,
I got a brand new Sender out-of-the-box and already have a problem with MX link free play.
It looks like the bushing's flange on both ends of the MX link are missing 0.5 mm for each one.
I have spoken with Canyon's support via Live Chat and the response was that it's normal free play, F$#^&%$>##% B@$&&

There is a small margin of free movement so that when the rear flex the shock can still move freely.
The small link is pulling the shock, so just like you can pull with a rope but not push, it does not have to be stiff as a link that push it.

So yeah It's intended, this was a sale pitch even when the bike was presented.
I hope I managed to explain myself, I'm obviously not native.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 7:50 Quote
Stylexxx wrote:

There is a small margin of free movement so that when the rear flex the shock can still move freely.

Hi, i'm thinking of buying a sender, but that's exactly what is stopping me. I like stiff bikes but I've heard the rear is not stiff at all and it flexes a lot. The whole rear triangle and seatstays in particular also look really thin but where I live there are not too many people riding it and I havent had the chance to see and try it in person, so I have to ask here: What do you guys have to say about it? Is it really too much and how does it feel? Cheers!

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 9:48 Quote
zandeto wrote:
Stylexxx wrote:

Hi, i'm thinking of buying a sender, but that's exactly what is stopping me. I like stiff bikes but I've heard the rear is not stiff at all and it flexes a lot. The whole rear triangle and seatstays in particular also look really thin but where I live there are not too many people riding it and I havent had the chance to see and try it in person, so I have to ask here: What do you guys have to say about it? Is it really too much and how does it feel? Cheers!

The rear end is quite stiff, is the mx link that has a lateral movement, it has nothing to do with the rear wheel stiffness just like ohlins angolar bushing don't compromise rear wheel stiffness.

As said previously even if it was a metal wire, it would still pull the shock and not compromise rear wheel stiffness, the problem with wires is that while they are light as soon as you slightly miss-align them they can produce significant lateral forces.

The reason it moves, is that there will be always some degree of compliance in the chainstay, there is no point in making it uber stiff as wheel and tyre flex and therefore the additional material would be dead weight plus, compliace help tracking, but when flex reach the shock it apply lateral forces and increase friction.

So a "lateral floating" link ensure that small lateral movement won't affect the shock.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 11:55 Quote
Thanks man! I am actually buying a aluminium sender which doesn't have the mx link so I only care about rear wheel stiffness. I just don't like wobbly rears. I mean I do but not on bikes Big Grin

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 21:30 Quote
Stylexxx wrote:
alexad wrote:
Hi,

The small link is pulling the shock, so just like you can pull with a rope but not push, it does not have to be stiff as a link that push it.

Thanks for the information.
The only thing that bugs me it's the knocking sound that this free play does on the MX link during the suspension work. This knocking sound of "MX link" when it slides from left and right drives me crazy.

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 5:10 Quote
alexad wrote:
Stylexxx wrote:
alexad wrote:
Hi,

The only thing that bugs me it's the knocking sound that this free play does on the MX link during the suspension work. This knocking sound of "MX link" when it slides from left and right drives me crazy.

I think that it could be solved with O rings or some kind of plastic spacers placed on both sides. I didn't ride it enought yet to notice the sound.

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 0:57 Quote
Feeling great on my first ride on 2018
Sending the first ride on 2018

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 1:12 Quote
Stylexxx wrote:
alexad wrote:
Stylexxx wrote:

I think that it could be solved with O rings or some kind of plastic spacers placed on both sides. I didn't ride it enought yet to notice the sound.

I found Canyon's technical support response for that issue, translated via Google from German:
The MX-Link is radially movable towards the steamer to reduce the forces acting on the side of the steamer. This ensures a longer service life, since the seals do not wear out so quickly due to the avoided shear forces. It may come because of dirt on the plain bearings to the noise. However, in the video, the sounds you've described are not good enough to diagnose a cause remotely. Please let us have another video. We will gladly arrange a service for you in our workshop and fix the noise source.
For further questions and concerns, feel free to contact us again. Alternatively, check our live chat.

So, according to Canyon it supposed to work like that ?!

I did some calculations, 12x18x0.5mm shim for each side would solve this knocking sound issue.

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 4:12 Quote
I can see the rotating shims wearing the carbon down though in the mud.
Check my comment a few pages ago with canyons 'fix'

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 4:32 Quote
alexad wrote:
Stylexxx wrote:
alexad wrote:

I found Canyon's technical support response for that issue, translated via Google from German:
The MX-Link is radially movable towards the steamer to reduce the forces acting on the side of the steamer. This ensures a longer service life, since the seals do not wear out so quickly due to the avoided shear forces. It may come because of dirt on the plain bearings to the noise. However, in the video, the sounds you've described are not good enough to diagnose a cause remotely. Please let us have another video. We will gladly arrange a service for you in our workshop and fix the noise source.
For further questions and concerns, feel free to contact us again. Alternatively, check our live chat.

I did some calculations, 12x18x0.5mm shim for each side would solve this knocking sound issue.

Well you don't want to stop the movements with shims...you just want to damp it...
But is it really that noisy?

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 13:54 Quote
Stylexxx wrote:
alexad wrote:
Stylexxx wrote:

Well you don't want to stop the movements with shims...you just want to damp it...

This is how annoying it is:
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/483680/

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 14:22 Quote
alexad wrote:
Stylexxx wrote:
alexad wrote:

This is how annoying it is:
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/483680/

Holly shit, no, that part is rock solid on my bike, On mine the entire MX link can float if you push it hard, but nothing that I can reproduce with a single finger and not with so much travel, mine makes almost no noise, you really need to put your hear on it and listen carefully while you push the entire linkage until it hit the seatstay.

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020448
Mobile Version of Website