Canyon Sender Forum

PB Forum :: Downhill
Canyon Sender Forum
Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 23:22 Quote
Alright thanks!
Yeah, i was going to order a xl but canyon recommended me to go L with my length and ive also been riding a L giant reign last couple of years so to me it really feels great.

Im not into racing though, yet... Im afraid it wont be as "playful" if i were to up a size.

Took it for a spin in a bikepark yesterday and it was awesome Smile

Edit: forgot to mention that the "sagmeter" on linkage arent correct, ive read somewhere canyon claims it should show 33% sag but it doesnt. Mine shows just about 20% if not less.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 0:00 Quote
Skitrulle wrote:
Alright thanks!
Yeah, i was going to order a xl but canyon recommended me to go L with my length and ive also been riding a L giant reign last couple of years so to me it really feels great.

Im not into racing though, yet... Im afraid it wont be as "playful" if i were to up a size.

Edit: forgot to mention that the "sagmeter" on linkage arent correct, ive read somewhere canyon claims it should show 33% sag but it doesnt. Mine shows just about 20% if not less.

The sag meter shows the sag on the wheel. Since the leverage ratio is not linear sag on the wheel and on the shock is very different. If you run 35% sag on the shock it will correspond to almost 50% sag on the wheel. The AL has a different linkage than the CF, but I suspect a lot of the trouble people have had with bottoming out early in the thread is that they don’t go by Canyons recommended sag but rather run 30-35% sag on the shock. My advise to you is to trust the canyon engineers and use the sag meter, that is what I have done with zero problems of bottoming out.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 14:30 Quote
mikaeljc wrote:
Skitrulle wrote:
Alright thanks!

The sag meter shows the sag on the wheel. Since the leverage ratio is not linear sag on the wheel and on the shock is very different. If you run 35% sag on the shock it will correspond to almost 50% sag on the wheel. The AL has a different linkage than the CF, but I suspect a lot of the trouble people have had with bottoming out early in the thread is that they don’t go by Canyons recommended sag but rather run 30-35% sag on the shock. My advise to you is to trust the canyon engineers and use the sag meter, that is what I have done with zero problems of bottoming out.

He’s not wrong, I’m a heavy guy but used the sagmeter and after a bit of light tuning I’ve got a shock with no bottom outs and nice support throughout the travel

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 21:58 Quote
Thanks for the clarification mikaeljc, makes sense!

So, atm im running wrong sag(30% on shock stroke). If i've calculated it right, my sender has 2.6 leverage ratio i should aim for 11% Shock stroke Sag.

200(rear wheel travel) / 75(shock stroke) = 2.6

30%(shock stroke) / 2.6 = 11% to get 30% Rear Wheel travel Sag

Think i should aim for 525lbs coil instead of the one i have now(400lbs)

I ran 550lbs on my Giant reign 1.5ltd which have 2.8 leverage!

Your post really opened my eyes Wink

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:05 Quote
Skitrulle wrote:
Thanks for the clarification mikaeljc, makes sense!

So, atm im running wrong sag(30% on shock stroke). If i've calculated it right, my sender has 2.6 leverage ratio i should aim for 11% Shock stroke Sag.

200(rear wheel travel) / 75(shock stroke) = 2.6

30%(shock stroke) / 2.6 = 11% to get 30% Rear Wheel travel Sag

Think i should aim for 525lbs coil instead of the one i have now(400lbs)

I ran 550lbs on my Giant reign 1.5ltd which have 2.8 leverage!

Your post really opened my eyes Wink

Well, it´s not that easy, the leverage ratio changes through out the stroke. It is 3,3 in the beginning of the travel and 2,3 in the end (CF). If you want 30% sag on the wheel you should aim at 20-21% sag on the shock on the CF. I don’t have the force curve for the AL so I´m not sure there.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 22:05 Quote
Actually, vitalMTB seems to share my experience on the "sagmeter", maybe mine is made wrong when fabricated.
https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Canyon/Sender-CF-9-0-Team,24539

How can your CF with 3.3 leverage ratio in beginning stroke require 20% sag on shock? That would make rear wheel 60% sag? Have you measured to make sure what your wheel sag is?

Im changing my spring this weekend and will during that switch check what ratio i have through my stroke.
Anyhow, as it is right now my sagmeter is spot on when im around 10% stroke sag

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 1:37 Quote
Skitrulle wrote:
Actually, vitalMTB seems to share my experience on the "sagmeter", maybe mine is made wrong when fabricated.
https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Canyon/Sender-CF-9-0-Team,24539

How can your CF with 3.3 leverage ratio in beginning stroke require 20% sag on shock? That would make rear wheel 60% sag? Have you measured to make sure what your wheel sag is?

Im changing my spring this weekend and will during that switch check what ratio i have through my stroke.
Anyhow, as it is right now my sagmeter is spot on when im around 10% stroke sag

Well vital mtb did like everyone else. They checked the sag on the shock and determined that ~20% must be too little.

As I said, the leverage ratio is constantly changing on every bike that is not linear. Go check the graphs here. Pay special attention to the graph with forces if you want to determine the relation between the sag on the shock and the wheel.

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2016/04/canyon-sender-cf-2016.html

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:12 Quote
Anybody have a spare swing arm for a Canyon Sender? Stripped bolt and Canyon say a new frame needed, i disagree!

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
AerialAtom wrote:
Anybody have a spare swing arm for a Canyon Sender? Stripped bolt and Canyon say a new frame needed, i disagree!

Oof, can you not buy the specific part from canyon. And I unfortunately don’t have one but to get it straight, al or cf?

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 11:08 Quote
Harrythebearj wrote:
AerialAtom wrote:

Oof, can you not buy the specific part from canyon. And I unfortunately don’t have one but to get it straight, al or cf?

Nope, Canyon can only sell a whole new bike... Not great I have to say.

It's Cf model but the swing arm is Al and blue

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 4:09 Quote
AerialAtom wrote:
Harrythebearj wrote:
AerialAtom wrote:

Nope, Canyon can only sell a whole new bike... Not great I have to say.

It's Cf model but the swing arm is Al and blue

Ah shit dude, I wish you the best

Harry

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 6:01 Quote
AerialAtom wrote:
I recommend taking your swing arm to the nearest machine shop and having them fabricate a new one for you. It won't be cheap but it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new frame. Or you could try and buy a used frame and take the swing arm of that

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
The chap whose bike it is works in an engineering workshop (the one who front wheel cased the Woburn step down if anybody has seen the video).

He's ordered a tapping tool from China but 7 weeks later its not arrived yet. Its a weird size.

He would helicoil but there's not enough arm left to do it well.

Second hand is still a couple grand for a whole bike or close to a grand for the frame alone. Only found one man who has trashed his but no reply as of yet.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 1:38 Quote
Selling mine with dhx coil if anyone interested, I give up on my back issue and find another sport Frown

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
Stylexxx wrote:
Selling mine with dhx coil if anyone interested, I give up on my back issue and find another sport Frown

That sucks! what's wrong with your back ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011056
Mobile Version of Website