What socks?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 4:45 Quote
Bare with me...
I'm 15, just got back to school; and the teachers have wasted no time in getting us to work.
In Technology & Design I've been asked to redesign/rebrand the humble cycling sock.
I've racked my brains for day and night but I'm struggling to think of anything even a tiny bit ground breaking. It's all a concept, so don't hold back on anything 'out there'; it doesn't have to be made.

Some ideas I've had;
The sock: I was considering a little pocket you could stick a house or car key or gel in? velcro tab or something. Also good for stashing drugs/money if the need occurs. Anti-slip heel for better power transfer. Obviously blend of good sweat wicking & breathable material with support bands in arch of foot. Seamless toe for added comfort. Maybe some motivational words/quotes on the sole or foot part to make you smile/be inspired when putting them on in the morning? Little connecting something to keep them together in the wash.
The brand: A subscription service where you could get a fresh new pair of socks every month? A bit of marketing focus towards people buying as gifts to fam & friends.

If you could offer any creative ideas, designs, strengths/weaknesses of your current socks, things you use your socks for other than putting on your feet it would be so appreciated. Anything weird or wonderful, anything at all! Also what price you'd be willing to pay for a premium sock?

Many many thanks,
Mark.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 11:15 Quote
You said "out there", so... How about a sock for wet weather commuting that has a rubber coated "foreskin" that begins high on the ankle above and inside the cuff of your rain pants and extends down over the tops your shoes to keep water from running off your legs and into your shoes? Kinda like spats from waaaay back in the early 20th century when people used them to keep shoe polish from rubbing off on their pants cuffs. When not on the bike you could roll the foreskins up under your pants "condom style" so they don't stick out and nobody would see anything but a normal sock.

Kind of a weird idea, I know. I actually thought of it a few days ago when riding home from work in the rain. I've got really great rain pants and waterproof GoreTex lined shoes, but it was just one of those days and water was running down the back of one calf and into my shoe because the pant cuff had gotten lodged between the sock and the top of the shoe while I was riding. That got me to thinking about making some spats out of old innertubes, which led to the sock idea I just gave you.

Not much of an idea, but that's all I got. If it ever sees production you owe me a pairWink

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 14:37 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
You said "out there", so... How about a sock for wet weather commuting that has a rubber coated "foreskin" that begins high on the ankle above and inside the cuff of your rain pants and extends down over the tops your shoes to keep water from running off your legs and into your shoes? Kinda like spats from waaaay back in the early 20th century when people used them to keep shoe polish from rubbing off on their pants cuffs. When not on the bike you could roll the foreskins up under your pants "condom style" so they don't stick out and nobody would see anything but a normal sock.

Kind of a weird idea, I know. I actually thought of it a few days ago when riding home from work in the rain. I've got really great rain pants and waterproof GoreTex lined shoes, but it was just one of those days and water was running down the back of one calf and into my shoe because the pant cuff had gotten lodged between the sock and the top of the shoe while I was riding. That got me to thinking about making some spats out of old innertubes, which led to the sock idea I just gave you.

Not much of an idea, but that's all I got. If it ever sees production you owe me a pairWink

Hey man, thanks so much for the reply!
So many sexual references I'm not 100% I fully understand your concept haha. I'm thinking as I type.
Interesting idea for sure. Had never heard of spats before so thanks for that one.

So it's some kind of thin rubber that is tight/fixed around the upper ankle/lower shin, then is pulled down over the top half of the shoe?
Definitely sounds simple and effective. Wonder how many people have good enough waterproof shoes that will be fully sealed from the bottom though? People might just scoff at the idea as it's not a full overshoe.
If you were to roll it up under your pants afterwards - it would be pretty wet and potentially dirty, no?

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 15:32 Quote
yeah, rolling it up might be drippy, I hadn't thought of that. As far as overshoes and waterproof shoes go, I don't know what most people do. I think most people probably don't ride in all weather conditions. Personally, I like the Gore-Tex running shoes for commuting because they're both waterproof AND WALKABLE off the bike. I hate spending more time dressing and undressing from a ride than I do actually riding, so anything that lets me avoid changing clothes is welcome in my world.

As far as socks go... I dunno. I can't think of much to improve over your garden variety sock. A couple of my shorter socks want to migrate down under my heel when I'm walking, so having at least SOME ankle is important, but that's not exactly a groundbreaking discovery. How about glow in the dark fabrics?

When it comes to pricepoints I'm probably a bad benchmark. I don't think much about socks and I doubt I'd spend more than about $10 for a pair. Lately when I buy a pair of socks it's usually to meet a minimum order requirement to receive free shipping. I think runners and high end road bikers are more the type that obsess over socks, I dunno.

It occurs to me that designing better socks might be a little bit like trying to design a better ice pick. There's only so much there to work with...Wink

Posted: Nov 16, 2016 at 3:25 Quote
You might be able to go a bit further with the rubber idea. There are materials that let air out but not let water in, seems like it would be a perfect addition to a sock.
http://newatlas.com/tecnadis-hydrophobic-coating/22554/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010611
Mobile Version of Website