Clipless Shoes : Flat Pedals

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Clipless Shoes : Flat Pedals
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 1:42 Quote
So I ride flats but I always notice there seems to be a better selection of clipless flat style shoes available and they always seem to be better value than bike specific flats.

Is there a cleat blank available that would convert a pair of Shimano AM5 to a flat shoe for example?

Mod Plus
Posted: Sep 5, 2016 at 10:26 Quote
I've had the same thoughts about the limited number of flat pedal shoes options out there compared to the ever-increasing number of clipless compatible models. However, I wouldn't recommend trying to convert a pair of clipless shoes for flat pedal use. The rubber on shoes designed for clipless pedals usually isn't as sticky as what you'd find on a dedicated flat pedal shoe, and the stoles tend to be stiffer as well, which will limit the amount your foot can contour to the pedal, and limit the amount of grip.

Even though there's currently no flat pedal version of the AM5, Shimano does offer the AM7, the flat pedal version of their AM9 downhill shoe. It's a little more expensive than the AM5, but it does have a Vibram rubber sole, and a lace cover that comes in handy for those wet weather rides.

Posted: Sep 5, 2016 at 14:28 Quote
mikekazimer wrote:
I've had the same thoughts about the limited number of flat pedal shoes options out there compared to the ever-increasing number of clipless compatible models. However, I wouldn't recommend trying to convert a pair of clipless shoes for flat pedal use. The rubber on shoes designed for clipless pedals usually isn't as sticky as what you'd find on a dedicated flat pedal shoe, and the stoles tend to be stiffer as well, which will limit the amount your foot can contour to the pedal, and limit the amount of grip.

Even though there's currently no flat pedal version of the AM5, Shimano does offer the AM7, the flat pedal version of their AM9 downhill shoe. It's a little more expensive than the AM5, but it does have a Vibram rubber sole, and a lace cover that comes in handy for those wet weather rides.

Thanks Mike, think I'm actually going to just bite the bullet and get some AM9s and some secondhand Mallets and see how I get on with clipless!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015047
Mobile Version of Website