Longest Travel Full Suspension bike with 27.5+ tires?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Longest Travel Full Suspension bike with 27.5+ tires?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 9, 2016 at 20:43 Quote
I am looking for the longest full suspension travel 160mm+ with a 27.5+ tire (2.8 to 3.0). Scott has a LT Plus genius, any others?

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 at 23:13 Quote
Specialized Enduro.

Posted: Sep 11, 2016 at 9:19 Quote
Looked at that bike but the narrow rim, I feel, defeats the purpose of the plus sizing.

Posted: Sep 12, 2016 at 9:34 Quote
What about the Pivot Switchblade?

Posted: Sep 12, 2016 at 16:23 Quote
Ibis HD3 will take up to 2.8". It's a 150 rear 160 front.

I demoed the newest Genius LT Plus bike. It was incredibly unwieldy. I guess if you only ride slow and super chunky with big drops it would sorta make sense but why do you want a bike like that?

Posted: Oct 2, 2018 at 11:17 Quote
I can get a 2017 Voltage Fr 710 . Plus size not to sure what they make now but ill look most of the new Scotts come with 2.6-2.8 tires on them

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 9:19 Quote
The bike industry doesn't seem to take 3.0 tires that seriously right now. There aren't a lot of full suspension frames that will even take a 3.0. The Pivot Switchblade and Knolly Fugitive come to mind as ones that will, but they're not in the travel category that you're looking for since they both only go up to 135. I think too many people tried 3.0 tires on rims that were too narrow or with pressures that were too high and concluded that they weren't good. It's a shame because a 3.0 tire on a 45mm internal rim is just wonderful. It's probably overkill if you're a lighter rider, but I'm 205 and they're perfect for me.

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 10:48 Quote
Got 2.8's Minions on my Nomad with reserve 37's, it's 31.67 pounds w/ 170 travel. Pretty badass

Posted: Oct 7, 2018 at 9:25 Quote
2018 Devinci Spartan - 165 travel and 2.8 (max) tire size.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 11, 2018 at 9:39 Quote
Explodo wrote:
The bike industry doesn't seem to take 3.0 tires that seriously right now. There aren't a lot of full suspension frames that will even take a 3.0. The Pivot Switchblade and Knolly Fugitive come to mind as ones that will, but they're not in the travel category that you're looking for since they both only go up to 135. I think too many people tried 3.0 tires on rims that were too narrow or with pressures that were too high and concluded that they weren't good. It's a shame because a 3.0 tire on a 45mm internal rim is just wonderful. It's probably overkill if you're a lighter rider, but I'm 205 and they're perfect for me.

They are good for climbing and traction in certain surfaces, but they are absolutely not better at high speed technical riding which is generally what long travel enduro/trail bikes are aimed at. To get the benefits of plus tires you need to run lower pressures, but then at those pressures the tires are vague and squirmy feeling once you get up to speed, especially if you corner hard as a heaver guy you will roll them right off the rim.

Related issues is that to keep weights reasonable, Plus tires have to skimp a bit on the stoutness of the casing and tread which exacerbate the problems I describe above. If Maxxis made a 27.5+ DHF in DH casing with MaxxGrip compound in a 3.0 it would probably weigh 1,600-1,700g per tire maybe more.

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:30 Quote
gramboh wrote:

They are good for climbing and traction in certain surfaces, but they are absolutely not better at high speed technical riding which is generally what long travel enduro/trail bikes are aimed at. To get the benefits of plus tires you need to run lower pressures, but then at those pressures the tires are vague and squirmy feeling once you get up to speed, especially if you corner hard as a heaver guy you will roll them right off the rim.

Related issues is that to keep weights reasonable, Plus tires have to skimp a bit on the stoutness of the casing and tread which exacerbate the problems I describe above. If Maxxis made a 27.5+ DHF in DH casing with MaxxGrip compound in a 3.0 it would probably weigh 1,600-1,700g per tire maybe more.

I think that if you're having that problem with 3.0 tires you have them set up wrong. Yes, they get squirmy if the pressure is too low OR if your rim is too narrow. A 3.0 tire really needs a wide damned rim to ride right. 45mm internal is really good for a 3.0 tire. I weigh 205 and I always go as fast as possible. I find that 15 psi is perfect for my 3.0s on 45 internal rims. At 17 psi, they start to get bouncy. At 13 psi, they start to squirm.

In the past, I always had to ride tires at 30 psi to avoid pinch flats and tire squirm and I used to read people extolling the virtues of lower tire pressures and how great it was. I was always bummed out that I could never enjoy that without trashing rims. Now I can, and it's good.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 12, 2018 at 15:53 Quote
Explodo wrote:
gramboh wrote:

I think that if you're having that problem with 3.0 tires you have them set up wrong. Yes, they get squirmy if the pressure is too low OR if your rim is too narrow. A 3.0 tire really needs a wide damned rim to ride right. 45mm internal is really good for a 3.0 tire. I weigh 205 and I always go as fast as possible. I find that 15 psi is perfect for my 3.0s on 45 internal rims. At 17 psi, they start to get bouncy. At 13 psi, they start to squirm.

In the past, I always had to ride tires at 30 psi to avoid pinch flats and tire squirm and I used to read people extolling the virtues of lower tire pressures and how great it was. I was always bummed out that I could never enjoy that without trashing rims. Now I can, and it's good.

The plus I have tried was a 40 or 45mm ID rim with a 3.0... the problem is plus tires do not have stout enough sidewalls, they are all Exo level and too thin for rough terrain or hard cornering. For what it's worth, I run 30id rims with Maxxis 2.5WT front 2.4WT rear DD or DH casing, pressures 26-27psi front 29-32 rear and I weigh 215lbs before gearing up. No squirm and I only ding my rear on bad cases when I am 30psi or under, 32 is fine (on DH casing). With MaxxGrip/Addix Soft/UltraSoft compounds you get as much grip as you could ever need... I just think those tires suit long travel/enduro bikes so much better than plus.

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:50 Quote
Telling you... The nomad is where it's at. VPP is incredible

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012238
Mobile Version of Website