Pack-less - What to do with all your stuff

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pack-less - What to do with all your stuff
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 15:51 Quote
So this for all of those that prefer to leave their hydration packs at home keeping their back free to feel the flow of air.

Whether it be racing or tooling around the local romps, lately I've been doing my best to ditch the pack and going with what I can carry on my bike and on my person. And... it's been quite lovely. Less weight, less sweat on my back, what's not to like. Well... strapping a bunch of crap to myself and the bike comes to mind. I'm busy looking for the perfect balance where I can manage up to a 2 hour ride (15 to 20 miles for me and my location) and be completely self sufficient. Meaning, I have enough water, food, tools, air, etc. to get me through.

Currently, I run on my bike(s) a Spesh Zee bottle cage with the Swat tool attachment along with the Swat chain breaker tool in the steer tube. Bundled up with a velcro cinch strapee thingamajigger, I attach a tube, a single tire lever, and a CO2 canister with a valve. In my pockets I'll stuff some food, phone, ID or wallet, car keys, and on occasion a tire plug repair kit.

Now, I've found this to suffice, but the tube, lever, CO2 setup is a bit cumbersome and gangly looking on my bike and the crap in my pockets can be bothersome at times too.

I am looking for different ideas and solutions to aid in my pack-less adventuring. Maybe a bag of some sort to consolidate the items on my bike.

What do you do to keep your rides pack-less and also you and your bike from looking like an unfolded swiss army knife?

Here's an article not too long ago on the subject.https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pinkbike-tech-swat-your-bike-2016.html

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 22:04 Quote
The race strap by back country research 9=(http://backcountryresearch.com/race-strap-mtb-saddle-mount.html) is amazing. For less than $15 it securely holds my tube, tire levers and a large multi tool under my saddle, and is completely out of the way of my dropper post. I 3d-printed a mount to put my pump on the bottle cage mount under my frame, and a water bottle in the cage in the frame. With this, I'm set for anything under ~2 hours. If you only have one bottle cage mount, you can use a pump mount that goes next to the bottle, most pumps come with one.

Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 22:11 Quote
Race Face Stash Tank. A litre in the back and bottle in cage and i'm for a 2-3 hour ride. Stick wallet,phone and bike parts in the pockets.

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 0:37 Quote
Water bottle in cage.
Cell phone in my pocket.
A small food bar if I'm riding over 2hours.

That's all I need.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 4:23 Quote
On my hardtail I have two water bottle holders that I can fit a 16oz and a 20oz bottles with a pump that has a co2 dispenser on it. I also have a tube strapped to the seat tube. In my jersey I keep a few energy snacks, my phone, and a small case (it's actually an old external hard drive protective case about 6x4x2) that I keep a small multi tool, two co2 cartridges, two tire levers, a quick link, patch kit, and a valve core tool. The case fits perfectly in a jersey pocket and keeps all the tools from bouncing around as well in a nice neat package.

On my enduro bike I ride with a pack for regular rides but when I race I leave they pack home. I'll carry the same case I use with my hardtail but I'll add a co2 dispenser and forgo the pump altogether. In my jersey I also carry a few energy snacks and sometimes a small bottle of water or energy drink. On my bike I'll strap a tube to the frame. I don't have a water bottle attachment on my bike but I'm going to try figuring out a way to attach one.

FL
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 6:05 Quote
Depending on your local climate - tight fitting (literally skin tight) road jersey underneath regular riding shirt.
Low down on your back is the best place for the weight and the tight jersey will stop it jiggling around.

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 17:52 Quote
Specialized SWAT bibs are actually really useful for ditching a pack. The above suggestions on using BCR straps/electrical tape to put stuff on your frame and the bibs make things easy.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 18:01 Quote
I've ridden with stuff in shorts pockets when I absolutely have to, and I'm not really doing a serious ride. I don't like a tool slapping around for hours, and I don't like the idea of sliding out on my phone.

I can fit a tube, tool, tire lever, patch, CO2 and a phone in my wedge seat bag. Food goes in the jersey pocket. That is my lightest, "get me home" kit. It doesn't get in the way of my riding or moving round the saddle. Some models may not fit on some dropper posts. With all the Spec hidden tool tricks (SWAT, head set...) There shouldn't be much left for a wedge bag.

A friend electrical tapes his tire kit (tube, CO2, lever) under his seat rails. Tool goes in the jersey pocket with the phone.

Another popular fix is the fanny pack. 2 smaller water bottles with plenty of cargo room for tools and food. Weight is low on your hips and off the bike. Some guys don't like the bottle cage on the frame for technical bike handling. The EWS guys are carrying bottles on their frame and do pretty well. Smile My bottle cage only gets in the way if there is no bottle in it. The empty cage can hook your shorts.

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2016 at 19:54 Quote
Hip pouch/ fanny pack

Posted: Sep 24, 2016 at 21:50 Quote
All great stuff guys.

So I was thinking about the suggestions of the spesh swat bib/vest or tight road jersey. I couldn't find any reviews on the vest and with the bib, I don't think I could handle it. I'm just wondering how hot it would get in one of those. It really never gets that cold in my area.

Also thinking of a low profile saddle wedge or one of those strap setups from backcountry research. The problem is, I don't like the way my bike looks with bunch of stuff hanging all over. It'd be a bit different if it was a bike for bikepacking but mine's meant for ripping.

I like the idea of the fanny pack for longer (2hr+) rides but I've got camelback skyline for those even longer excursions. Plus I'm really trying to keep things light and cool.

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 4:58 Quote
I use a bottle and cage, I have endura shorts that have the huge pocket down the back of your leg I put a lyzene pump in there don't even know it's there. Back jersey pockets multi tool, tyre levers, tubeless puncture kit box with a spare quick link added, that's all I ever take out.

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 11:05 Quote
sadevil wrote:
All great stuff guys.

So I was thinking about the suggestions of the spesh swat bib/vest or tight road jersey. I couldn't find any reviews on the vest and with the bib, I don't think I could handle it. I'm just wondering how hot it would get in one of those. It really never gets that cold in my area.

Also thinking of a low profile saddle wedge or one of those strap setups from backcountry research. The problem is, I don't like the way my bike looks with bunch of stuff hanging all over. It'd be a bit different if it was a bike for bikepacking but mine's meant for ripping.

I like the idea of the fanny pack for longer (2hr+) rides but I've got camelback skyline for those even longer excursions. Plus I'm really trying to keep things light and cool.

I got the Spec SWAT bibs early August, aka hottest time of the year where I am. I did not notice a substantial increase in heat during the time of the month vs using regular bibs.

I've got a BCR strap on my SB66c and leave it on for trail riding to park/shuttle days. It hangs under the seat and holds a tube, levers, and CO2. Could care less if it "looks" like bike packing, its practical Smile

I rock a fanny pack/hip pouch for the longer rides. I have the running version of the CamelBak hip pack (forgot the model). Cheaper than the bike specific version (shocker).

Give them all a go. All are good options for ditching a pack.

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 12:40 Quote
I use a water bottle cage mount storage solution like the specialized KEG. In that i can store a tube, a pump, tire levers, a multi tool and a few other small things like tube patches.
That i combine with my small Camelback Rogue ( http://www.camelbak.com/en/International/Sports-Recreation/Packs/Rogue.aspx ) for water supply since there is no way i could get away with only a bottle anyways. In the rogue i can store my cell phone and a few energy bars and keys if needed. The rest like extra energy bars goes into my pant pockets.
The Camelback Rogue is so small it´s barely noticable, so i can only recommend it to anyone looking for a minimalist solution but doesn´t wanna rationalize their water.

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 13:18 Quote
How do you like the SWAT bib overall? Heard it's a pain when you gotta pee.

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 17:39 Quote
They are similar to other bibs. It's not as natural as popping it out your shorts fly or pulling down some compression shorts, but not horrible. Maybe if you are blessed with a cheese wheel of a dong that you may have problems....

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016617
Mobile Version of Website