Commencal meta, which one?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Commencal meta, which one?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 21:53 Quote
Hi, I have recently got back into riding, got hooked and I am looking to purchase a new bike. I've been looking at the commencal bikes and I really need some help with which bike is best for me , About me and my riding. I'm 35 years old, 145 lbs 5ft 10. I mostly trail ride but I love to huck off anything I can, I grew up racing Moto so my style is slightly aggressive for my age. I've been riding my 07 Jamis Komodo small frame hard tail. So I'm looking for a full suspension bike. And I'd like to try my hand at a few enduro races next year . But aside from that I will be just hitting the trails with my buddies, not sure if I go all mountain for the suspension benefit when it comes to the few races I wanna try. Or if I go with a trail bike since I will be spending more time in the woods. So my options are
1. Meta tr v4 120/120
2 new 2017 meta tr v4.2 140/130 (preorder)
3. Meta am v3 160/150
4 . Meta am v4 160/150 little more $ than the v3

Any info helps I'm leaning toward the 17 tr v4.2 for a in the middle ride but please let me know what you think. Looking forward to any responses. Thanks in advance

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 22:33 Quote
Also are most guys my size running small or medium frames?

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 2:55 Quote
I have the V3 Meta SX. Personnally I love it but think for most tracks near me it is a bit over biked in the way of travel. Out for your options I would go for the trail V4.2 unless you plan to hit bike stuff alot in which case the V3 or V4. Also depending on your style I cane from a Giant Trance (05 model) which i would float over stuff but now on the SX I tend to plow a bit more through stuff.

FL
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 5:43 Quote
The 120 might be a bit to little if you're moto background.
New TR would be my suggestion if you're mainly trail with your friends. And looks awesome.
Getting a 160 enduro bike because you might try a few enduros is silly in my opinion.

No chance that you are a small. At 5.10 you are about on the medium large borderline.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 9:39 Quote
Thanks so much guys, I kinda knew where I should go with this but I just needed some confirming opinions . So 140 it is.. Thanks for the size confirmation also ayjaydoubleyou. How do you guys think the 4.2 will do at the enduros with the 140 travel..I'm so fired up on this . Bummer the pre orders are 60 days out on this bike and winters coming

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 9:40 Quote
The V3 is out cause it sounds like pedalling will be a prioity. Its between the tr 4.2 and V4.

I have the 2016 V4 and can say it pedals really well considerimg and I have no problem keeping up with people on my local XC trails. Plus take it to the bike park and it handles that well too. Its a real good all rounder.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 9:44 Quote
Inverted180 do you have a tr v4 or am?

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 9:47 Quote
Sorry 2016 Meta V4 AM. Bought justthe frame and built up.
photo

And whats the nonsense about be aggressive for your age.. 35 is still young dude.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 9:56 Quote
inverted180 wrote:
Sorry 2016 Meta V4 AM. Bought justthe frame and built up.
photo

And whats the nonsense about be aggressive for your age.. 35 is still young dude.

Sorry , I guess compared to my buddies. I'm just always trying to get a bit more rowdy than they intend to . Glad to know I'm not alone. So do you spend more time on the trails with that am or more lift service riding inverted180?

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 10:57 Quote
More time on the trails. Maybe logging 7-8 park days this year. My closest park is 2.5hrs drive.

I don't know where you are from but in my Canadian province (Ontario) it's pretty flat. Really its XC undulating terrain. The AM pedals surprisingly well but also give me the ability to get rowdy on the trails when I get those short decents, tech or jumps / drops.

Like I said a very good all rounder. You dont sacrifice much at all. How ever if all I did was XC trails I would probably be running an aggressive 29er trail bike. And if all I was riding was bike park I'd be on a DH bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 11:37 Quote
Hmmm, so before you chimed in I was leaning toward the tr but now you have me wondering if I should go with the am. I don't see myself doing many xc races . There is one that comes to my local trails everyyear that I will prolly do next year but I have no fantasies of winning lol, anyway I guess my question to you inverted180 is there ever a time your trail riding that you wish you had slightly less travel? Or do you think if you did say 140/130 do you think you would regret it when you do those lift days?

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 12:04 Quote
ugm582 wrote:
Hmmm, so before you chimed in I was leaning toward the tr but now you have me wondering if I should go with the am. I don't see myself doing many xc races . There is one that comes to my local trails everyyear that I will prolly do next year but I have no fantasies of winning lol, anyway I guess my question to you inverted180 is there ever a time your trail riding that you wish you had slightly less travel? Or do you think if you did say 140/130 do you think you would regret it when you do those lift days?

Do I ever wish I had less travel...not really. Like I said it pedals really well. AM/Enduro bikes have come a long way. I mean I would like to be pedaling around (on the boring flats and climbs) in a 25lb 29er XC bike but it really wouldn't be as fun (and capable) when it comes time to get rowdy on the trail...and I would be afraid of breaking parts/frame. I like to kill the most fun parts of trails but Im not really interested in my overall time. It keeps up well enough though...

As far as less travel at the bike park. It all depends on the bike but more than likely I would not be comfortable with less travel on lift days.

The Meta AM V4 is more of an all rounder and makes a better trail bike than some other bikes in its category (giant reign, SC nomad, yt capra etc), although some of those bikes are going to be a touch better at the bike park. Its a trade off of sorts but the AM V4 is a good comprise if you still need to doing a lot of pedaling.

When you compare the TR 4.2 to the AM V4 I would be surprised if pedaling efficiency is noticeably better at all....plus if there is no weight difference why even bother with a TR4.2. My opinion anyway.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 12:14 Quote
Ok, something to think about, thanks so much for the info...

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 22:54 Quote
inverted180 wrote:
The V3 is out cause it sounds like pedalling will be a prioity. Its between the tr 4.2 and V4.

I have the 2016 V4 and can say it pedals really well considerimg and I have no problem keeping up with people on my local XC trails. Plus take it to the bike park and it handles that well too. Its a real good all rounder.

Not to back pedal here but what are the issues with the v3 ? Pedal bob?

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 23:11 Quote
I had the V3 before getting a V4. The V4 definitely pedals more efficiently and in my opinion is the better all round bike. I ride a fair amount of XC type trails local to where I live, and yes, for the climbs it would be nice to have something a little lighter, but when it's time to point it down hill this bike is awesome. When I go somewhere to ride rowdier terrain this bike feels very capable and it's great for uplift days too. A very good all rounder.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011056
Mobile Version of Website