Zee fr mech cage twisting

PB Forum :: Shimano
Zee fr mech cage twisting
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 24, 2016 at 10:50 Quote
Hi has anyone had this issue?
I'm running 1x10, 32nw upfront and 11-36 in the rear, chain is neither too long or short and there is plenty of room when bottomed out, do you think the clutch could be the problem, the cage had twisted away from the wheel, this is the second zee to fail on me in under a year, it's on a mega am btw, any advice appreciated

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 0:56 Quote
Hi there.
Did you check for chain growth? do u use any chainguide? If the bike has a lot of chain growth under rear shox compression, the clutch will always be the issue of cage twisting.
Does your mech has a clutch tension adjuster; its a accessible just under the clutch body.
Shimano Zee has 2 options, FR and DH. Which one are you using?

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 3:16 Quote
Hi, I've got the fr version, chain length and growth is fine, my theory was that the clutch was so tight on this particular one that when the bike did compress the cage didn't move enough because of the clutch, the forces had to go somewhere so it bent the cage.
Also I do use a full chainguide, e13
I have since changed the cage and it still twisted, new mech I guess

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 3:30 Quote
Are you sure the chain is the right length? Wrapped around both big cogs bypassing the rear mech plus 2 links at bottom out (or wherever chain growth is largest). My Zee mech didn't have enough capacity for an 11-36 cassette on my Mega TR when chain growth was taken into account - it'd go limp in top gear.

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 7:48 Quote
Yep chain was put on properly, even done it with no air in the shock, mine have both been fine on the 11-36 cassette, it's just strange that they have both twisted away from the bike, causing the chain to skip on the lower jockey wheel, the mech had lots of movement spare at full bottom out

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 3:16 Quote
Madmanspencer wrote:
Yep chain was put on properly, even done it with no air in the shock, mine have both been fine on the 11-36 cassette, it's just strange that they have both twisted away from the bike, causing the chain to skip on the lower jockey wheel, the mech had lots of movement spare at full bottom out

Does the Zee comes with adjustable clutch tension? Does your chainguide has a lower pulley? Since its a shadow + RD, you need not use a chainguide with lower pulley.

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 12:50 Quote
Yeah I did think that !
Maybe I'll try again and ditch the chainguide

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 21:10 Quote
@Madmanspencer keep me updated. Thanks.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009977
Mobile Version of Website