DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 20:51 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
I can't for the life of me get my DVO Onyx SC to feel good. I feel like I am chasing a ghost and the fork is so inconsistent it's incredibly frustrating. I am starting to regret my purchase.

Current settings:
6'4" 190 lbs
65 PSI = 25% sag
OTT = 10 full rotations (out of 14 total)
LSC = 1
HSC = 6 clicks
Rebound = 20 clicks damping (out of 28 total)
Bike: 2019 YT Jeffsy CF

Most the time it feels great on small chatter like brake bumps but it's harsh on big hits, harsh on ledge like drops, and a little pogo stick like (although my rebound is already almost at full slow). Other times it just feels harsh all around and inconsistent. It seems like I have to ride the fork incredibly hard with all my weight over it to get it to feel smooth. I still can't get full travel out of the fork even after reducing the amount of fluid in the lowers to 20cc instead of 40cc at DVOs recommendation to make it less progressive.

My OTT spring is also noisy as hell! It makes a ton of noise, rattling, banging, and clanking around. Is this normal? I have a really heavy coating of Slick Honey on it as per DVOs guide.

The only good thing I can say is that I really like where the fork rides at 25% sag and it feels incredible on technical climbing but I did not buy the fork for technical climbing I bought it for rough descending!

I have no idea where to start. It seems like changing the HSC and rebound damping are not fixing my problem so maybe I just need to run 30% sag? I hope not as I bought this fork at DVOs claim that you could run less sag but more OTT. I know how suspension settings work and I have tuned forks in the past but god damn this fork is pissing me off. I just can't get it to feel good at all. Any help is appreciated.

Something does sound a little off. not sure if this will help but these are my are my settings

Rider - 205 lbs, 5'11"
Travel - 170mm
Sag - 20 to 22% at 70 psi
Hsc - 1, I think. I have a hard time feeling the clicks
Lsc - 1
OTT - 7
Rebound - 12 clicks from closed

The noise you"re hearing may not be the ott spring. There is a white spring clip type of part that if cracked makes a terrible noise. I Sent DVO a video so they could here the noise. They said it was either the ott spring or that part. They warrantied the clip and Sent a new one. I just haven't had time to install it yet.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 21:25 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
I can't for the life of me get my DVO Onyx SC to feel good. I feel like I am chasing a ghost and the fork is so inconsistent it's incredibly frustrating. I am starting to regret my purchase.

Current settings:
6'4" 190 lbs
65 PSI = 25% sag
LSC = 1
HSC = 6 clicks

Most the time it feels great on small chatter like brake bumps but it's harsh on big hits, harsh on ledge like drops, and a little pogo stick like (although my rebound is already almost at full slow). Other times it just feels harsh all around and inconsistent. It seems like I have to ride the fork incredibly hard with all my weight over it to get it to feel smooth. I still can't get full travel out of the fork even after reducing the amount of fluid in the lowers to 20cc instead of 40cc at DVOs recommendation to make it less progressive.

My OTT spring is also noisy as hell! It makes a ton of noise, rattling, banging, and clanking around. Is this normal? I have a really heavy coating of Slick Honey on it as per DVOs guide.

The only good thing I can say is that I really like where the fork rides at 25% sag and it feels incredible on technical climbing but I did not buy the fork for technical climbing I bought it for rough descending!

I have no idea where to start. It seems like changing the HSC and rebound damping are not fixing my problem so maybe I just need to run 30% sag? I hope not as I bought this fork at DVOs claim that you could run less sag but more OTT. I know how suspension settings work and I have tuned forks in the past but god damn this fork is pissing me off. I just can't get it to feel good at all. Any help is appreciated.

It kind of sounds like you might be blowing through the travel? The DVO forks are really sensitive but they work best with a digressive damping approach. Have you tried running the fork with 15-20% sag and the LSC knob at 2 or 3? From there you could add another 3 or 6 clicks of HSC compression if necessary and speed up the rebound.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 22:09 Quote
How many tokens/volume spacers?

I had a similar experience tuning my fork in. Ended up with 2.

Sometimes things feel harsh not because they're too progressive, but because they're not progressive enough. Volume spacer, plus dropping the pressure to accommodate can make a big change. If yuo've spoken to Ronnie I'm guessing he got enough info recommend dropping fluid.

For the rattle, I'm assuming it's put together right. Check the compression dial on the top of the right leg - the o-ring that sits in here can be displaced and then the alloy dial rattles on the CSU.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 23:02 Quote
provin1327 wrote:

Current settings:
6'4" 190 lbs
65 PSI = 25% sag
LSC = 1
HSC = 6 clicks

I couldn't find a setup guide for the Onyx, but at 160 lbs I'm running 115psi in my Diamond. Not sure if they have the same guts, but 65 psi seems really low. I was running 70 in my fox 36, as well. And your high speed compression seems really high. If you're using it for big hits and drops, I'd dial it back and add more oil to the fork instead.

I know what you mean about the OTT rattle. My Diamond is pretty noisy.

Have you tried emailing DVO? Geoff is always helpful when I have setup questions.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 6:02 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:
provin1327 wrote:

Current settings:
6'4" 190 lbs
65 PSI = 25% sag
LSC = 1
HSC = 6 clicks

Something does sound a little off. not sure if this will help but these are my are my settings

Rider - 205 lbs, 5'11"
Travel - 170mm
Lsc - 1
OTT - 7

The noise you"re hearing may not be the ott spring. There is a white spring clip type of part that if cracked makes a terrible noise. I Sent DVO a video so they could here the noise. They said it was either the ott spring or that part. They warrantied the clip and Sent a new one. I just haven't had time to install it yet.

Too much OTT I bet. My Onyx DC is at 100 psi, 7 turns OTT (I'm about 195lbs). Before I fixed the OTT wind-in issue, it would feel progressively worse as the OTT turned up. I think it gets sucked into the travel too easily with a lot of OTT and feels bad.

Running either 2 or 3 clicks LSC and about 1 full turn HSC (I don't have clicks)

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 6:37 Quote
Nictue wrote:
(I don't have clicks)

Unless you did that on purpose.... Remove the HSC knob and remove all of the grease. Be careful with the microscopic balls in there. Reassemble with a light oil instead of grease and you'll have clicks in your HSC.

Sorry for unsolicited advice Big Grin

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 6:50 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
Nictue wrote:
(I don't have clicks)

Unless you did that on purpose.... Remove the HSC knob and remove all of the grease. Be careful with the microscopic balls in there. Reassemble with a light oil instead of grease and you'll have clicks in your HSC.

Sorry for unsolicited advice Big Grin

Thanks! That's helpful!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:59 Quote
Nictue wrote:
PapaGordo wrote:
provin1327 wrote:

Current settings:
6'4" 190 lbs
65 PSI = 25% sag
LSC = 1
HSC = 6 clicks

Rider - 205 lbs, 5'11"
Travel - 170mm
Lsc - 1
OTT - 7

Too much OTT I bet. My Onyx DC is at 100 psi, 7 turns OTT (I'm about 195lbs). Before I fixed the OTT wind-in issue, it would feel progressively worse as the OTT turned up. I think it gets sucked into the travel too easily with a lot of OTT and feels bad.

Running either 2 or 3 clicks LSC and about 1 full turn HSC (I don't have clicks)

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Surprise surprise I have found out part of the problem. On my ride last night the the fork felt extra harsh. Turns out the OTT adjuster wound itself all the way out meaning there was no preload on the spring, zero OTT. That makes sense since I was running 10 rotations originally. Even with the 3d printed cap that 2wheels92 designed my OTT adjuster still turns. I am guessing the inner hexagon of the 3d printed cap just isn't quite big enough and the 5mm adjuster can still rotate whichever way it pleases. This is so weird because originally it was turning itself all the way in! Now it's all the way out! It's so, so frustrating that THE defining feature of this fork doesn't even work properly. In fact it's worse than not working properly it's a giant pain in the ass because it turns on it's own whichever way it wants.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 11:56 Quote
I am a little bit surprised there isn't a little clicker inside the OTT adjuster like there is for damping adjustments. The spring loaded balls for a clicker would help hold it in place. No doubt add to manufacturing cost though.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 12:42 Quote
provin1327 wrote:

Current settings:
6'4" 190 lbs
65 PSI = 25% sag
LSC = 1
HSC = 6 clicks

6’3, 200lbs. 73-80psi, max ott or one rotation from max, LSC is 3-4, HSC IS 2 turns from open. Fork feels good on everything. Yes, it is a bit noisy, but who cares? Depending on trail i do change up a bit the rebound and air pressure. Also open the hsc if you feel harshness on square edge hits. I suggest you to add one rotation of ott and FASTEN/open the rebound, because your fork seems to be packing. Also add more ott. In my experience, the air chart is pretty spot on.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 13:19 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
Nictue wrote:
PapaGordo wrote:

Rider - 205 lbs, 5'11"
Travel - 170mm
Lsc - 1
OTT - 7

Surprise surprise I have found out part of the problem. On my ride last night the the fork felt extra harsh. Turns out the OTT adjuster wound itself all the way out meaning there was no preload on the spring, zero OTT. That makes sense since I was running 10 rotations originally. Even with the 3d printed cap that 2wheels92 designed my OTT adjuster still turns. I am guessing the inner hexagon of the 3d printed cap just isn't quite big enough and the 5mm adjuster can still rotate whichever way it pleases. This is so weird because originally it was turning itself all the way in! Now it's all the way out! It's so, so frustrating that THE defining feature of this fork doesn't even work properly. In fact it's worse than not working properly it's a giant pain in the ass because it turns on it's own whichever way it wants.

That's disappointing. I wonder if mine has the same issue. I wonder if there is a way to find your ott setting, then lock it down so it can't move.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
Nictue wrote:
PapaGordo wrote:

Rider - 205 lbs, 5'11"
Travel - 170mm
Lsc - 1
OTT - 7

That is f*cked up. I really hate how the stand out, signature feature of this fork is so messed up. If mine starts doing it, im instantly ditching it for a Mezzer/38. The fork performs phenomenally, but it really would be annoying to reset it every ride. Glad im on the max ott setting anyway xD

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
I am a little bit surprised there isn't a little clicker inside the OTT adjuster like there is for damping adjustments. The spring loaded balls for a clicker would help hold it in place. No doubt add to manufacturing cost though.

There is, but they don't work.

I drilled a hole and slid a piece of spoke through. It's not going anywhere.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
Nictue wrote:
Dkutassy wrote:

That is how you fixed your OTT adjuster problem? Can you share a picture?

After reading the DVO Diamond thread on MTBR https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/dvo-diamond-936949-4.html#post13542399 and user "Doug" talking about the bladder being slightly compressed (see 3:06 vs 11:33 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUps...hannel=MTBDeli ) I took a look at mine. You can see the big dimples in his bladder. Mine was not that bad but it was definitely compressed a bit. I pulled out the compression unit, peeled back the bladder a bit, added some grease to the bottom of it (per DVOs recommendation re user Doug) and put it back together. It looked like it was how it should be, slightly bulging out. Maybe that will also change things? Because the bladder actually compresses as the fork is compressed I heard if the bladder is compressed at all from the start it can lead to the fork feeling harsh and too progressive since it's starting with a lower volume bladder.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
provin1327 wrote:
Nictue wrote:
Dkutassy wrote:

That is how you fixed your OTT adjuster problem? Can you share a picture?

After reading the DVO Diamond thread on MTBR https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/dvo-diamond-936949-4.html#post13542399 and user "Doug" talking about the bladder being slightly compressed (see 3:06 vs 11:33 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUps...hannel=MTBDeli ) I took a look at mine. You can see the big dimples in his bladder. Mine was not that bad but it was definitely compressed a bit. I pulled out the compression unit, peeled back the bladder a bit, added some grease to the bottom of it (per DVOs recommendation re user Doug) and put it back together. It looked like it was how it should be, slightly bulging out. Maybe that will also change things? Because the bladder actually compresses as the fork is compressed I heard if the bladder is compressed at all from the start it can lead to the fork feeling harsh and too progressive since it's starting with a lower volume bladder.
It's not pretty lol

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007586
Mobile Version of Website