DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 23:49 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
Yes that was 2wheels92 here on Pinkbike. It's posted in this thread a few pages back but is also available on Thingverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4582081

No, I mean DVO themselves have one. I just mailed them and asked about this whole OTT problem.
It seems to be a rare problem that the OTT is turning itself in and in most cases that stops with the known method of putting grease back on the spring. The cases like mine where that doesn't fix it are the rare cases in the rare cases so to say. For these cases they made a cap for the adjuster themselves, I will see how exactly this looks when they send me one.
These are the only solutions they found so far.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 14:14 Quote
HumbdiDumbdi wrote:
provin1327 wrote:
Yes that was 2wheels92 here on Pinkbike. It's posted in this thread a few pages back but is also available on Thingverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4582081

No, I mean DVO themselves have one. I just mailed them and asked about this whole OTT problem.
It seems to be a rare problem that the OTT is turning itself in and in most cases that stops with the known method of putting grease back on the spring. The cases like mine where that doesn't fix it are the rare cases in the rare cases so to say. For these cases they made a cap for the adjuster themselves, I will see how exactly this looks when they send me one.

What!?!? Please keep me posted on this because all they told me was that it "sometimes happens" and to grease the spring. I greased the spring and it is still happening. They did not offer me a locking cap but I sure wish they did. I don't agree that it is a rare problem. Seems like a lot of people on MTBR and Pinkbike have the problem and that's only the people who took time to check and notice.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 21:24 Quote
In need of some feedback. I blew up my Lyrik, and an Onyx is at the top of the list. I have an industry buddy whom I trust, who’s able to make the rounds with bike shops, and while he personally hasn’t owned one he’s advising against one for a few reasons:

-fork is flexy (odd to hear since it’s a beefed up diamond, which I’ve never heard described as a noodle)
-no damping, blows through it’s travel (Looks like the setup guide has been revised)
-cheap internals (doubts they’re much different from other companies?)

He openly admits it’s second hand info and agrees it seems out of character, but any thoughts from the group on these concerns? There’s also a lot of variables with the 1st and 2nd point, but from his conversations it’s more systematic vs one of issues.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 0:05 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
HumbdiDumbdi wrote:
provin1327 wrote:

What!?!? Please keep me posted on this because all they told me was that it "sometimes happens" and to grease the spring. I greased the spring and it is still happening. They did not offer me a locking cap but I sure wish they did. I don't agree that it is a rare problem. Seems like a lot of people on MTBR and Pinkbike have the problem and that's only the people who took time to check and notice.

I specifically asked for info on the cap because of a post on mtbr (which I saw just by chance), don't know if they had mentioned it otherwise, but couldn't hurt to be a bit more proactive with that. I just gave them my contact info to mail it to me, don't know how long it will take over the pond.
Yeah, even taking into account that people with problems are louder, at the moment it doesn't seem to be so rare. Before I bought the fork I read a lot here and on mtbr, but I cannot remember reading about this problem at the time.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 0:11 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
In need of some feedback. I blew up my Lyrik, and an Onyx is at the top of the list. I have an industry buddy whom I trust, who’s able to make the rounds with bike shops, and while he personally hasn’t owned one he’s advising against one for a few reasons:

-fork is flexy (odd to hear since it’s a beefed up diamond, which I’ve never heard described as a noodle)
-no damping, blows through it’s travel (Looks like the setup guide has been revised)

He openly admits it’s second hand info and agrees it seems out of character, but any thoughts from the group on these concerns? There’s also a lot of variables with the 1st and 2nd point, but from his conversations it’s more systematic vs one of issues.
im sorry but this is pure bullshit. Unless your buddy weigths like 150 kg, there is no way the onyx is “flexy” i rode the fork very fast and hard at 100 kg and didnt notice any excess flex, in fact it us stiffer than the old 36 and the lyrik, im absolutely positive. Second, the fork is very progressive. Putting 40cc of oil in each leg and the right amount of psi in the air chaimber, plus the right ott and it is supple on small bumps and very, very, i mean it, very supportive in the mid stroke. Despite hitting some 6 feet drops on it with my “not for jumps setup” i still have around 10mm of travel left, which in my opinion is plenty, given the fork was set up for technical riding and small and medium hits. If you do bikepark days with lots of jumps and flow, you can set it up for jumps beyond your skill, no offense. Thirdly, i sont think that the internals are “cheap”. Just because they arent unreasonably overpriced, does not mean it is worse quality than others. In my experience i saved lots of money buying the onyx instead of the 36 and the lyrik. I got a very adjustable fork, with reliable and stiff chassis for 600 eur with discount. I could have gotten a divey lyrik for 750 eur or a creaky ass fox 36 for 1200 eur which is insane.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 0:53 Quote
I smell tuna shite too

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 4:41 Quote
Just watch what Remy does on his Onyx.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 5:33 Quote
I absolutely love my diamond. Its one of the nicest, smoothest fork I have owned. I prefer it over my 36 and I cant say I have had any issues with the DVO. Fox, I have to ad spacers etc to get it working where I want it. Was similar with my lyric.
In hindsight I should of an Onyx, but I am very happy. O, and I weigh 110kg, the fork is plenty stiff

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 6:09 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:

Your industry buddy either got some very bad info or he's a paid shill for another suspension company.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 6:14 Quote
I weigh around 114kgs and find Sapphire 32mm mire than enough for xc/trail & even f’ng around on street hops etc ffs!

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 6:18 Quote
Hi all! Just got a Diamond D2 as a warranty replacement for a Beryl D2 that had bushing problems.

The Diamond feels notchy but not in a friction way, more like if something was "catching" in the damper. I don't remember if the Beryl did that when new. Anyone else experienced this when riding their new Diamond/Onyx ?

My warranty is almost over and I want to make sure it's fine before it expires. Thanks!

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 6:24 Quote
mntnmrtn wrote:
Hi all! Just got a Diamond D2 as a warranty replacement for a Beryl D2 that had bushing problems.

The Diamond feels notchy but not in a friction way, more like if something was "catching" in the damper. I don't remember if the Beryl did that when new. Anyone else experienced this when riding their new Diamond/Onyx ?

My warranty is almost over and I want to make sure it's fine before it expires. Thanks!

Is this while riding or just pushing on it with the front brake pulled in your house? If it's while your just pushing on it the seals need to break in with some riding.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 6:29 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
mntnmrtn wrote:

Is this while riding or just pushing on it with the front brake pulled in your house? If it's while your just pushing on it the seals need to break in with some riding.

+ 1

Mine had that notchy feel for first 10mm tops of travel on compression rocking bike forth and back front brake applied.

I just put it down to bushings or neg coil spring guide... :/

Now I just run 1 LSC and all is fine

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 6:37 Quote
Thanks guys, this supports my skepticism of his concerns. He’s a good dude, no suspension affiliation. I’m thinking he was given poor info. Cheers!

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:

I think he must be confused, or has been talking to folks who have a strong bias for Fox or RS.
I was a bike mechanic for more than a25 years, and have serviced and rebuilt just about everything. I’m not sure how anyone would think that the internals are cheap or shared with anyone. DVO seems to offer really good OEM pricing, so you see them on some smaller companies more “budget friendly” builds. But I’d argue that it’s more due to having a much smaller marketing budget than cheap internals.

Some of this bias might be due to the fact that the structure is manufactured by SR Suntour- who makes some nice top end forks themselves, but the internals are different.

As for stiffness, I’m a little under 200 lbs (90kg) and find my Diamond every bit as stiff as my Fox 36, and Unlike the Fox there has been no CSU creak in the 9 months I’ve been riding it.

There are a ton of high quality forks out there. I’d strongly suggest the Onyx if you like to tinker and dial your suspension.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007318
Mobile Version of Website