DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
Lololmalol wrote:
Bearded4Glory wrote:
Looking for tuning suggestions on the Onyx on my Ripmo AF.

Current settings:
Weight: 185
OTT: 12
Air Pressure: 65
Sag: 30%
HSC: -4.5
LSC: 1-3
Rebound: -16

The fork feels great on single hits and I don't think I have every fully bottomed it out. It gets really harsh on small to midsized chop/chunk. Super harsh on my hands, I end up holding on for my life!

Not sure what direction to go, if there is something wrong with the fork, or maybe it is just my technique that needs work.

Thanks in advance!

Forks way to soft

Go most sensitive on OTT and 73psi

Open up all the compression and run it as fast as you can comfortably untill your work out the OTT / air relationship, then dial in the damper once you get your head around that

That is what I was thinking. Do you think the fork is just blowing through the first 50% of the travel and that is why it is so harsh?

It is so confusing when DVOs guide is so far from the Ibis guide and from what I have read online many people say the Ibis guide is the better starting point. Seems like the fork and shock for the ripmo have a custom tune but I can't find much information about it.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 15:42 Quote
Bearded4Glory wrote:
Lololmalol wrote:
Bearded4Glory wrote:

Current settings:

The fork feels great on single hits and I don't think I have every fully bottomed it out. It gets really harsh on small to midsized chop/chunk.

Super harsh on my hands, I end up holding on for my life!

Not sure what direction to go, if there is something wrong with the fork, or maybe it is just my technique that needs work.

Thanks in advance!

Forks way to soft

Open up all the compression and run it as fast as you can comfortably untill your work out the OTT / air relationship, then dial in the damper once you get your head around that

That is what I was thinking. Do you think the fork is just blowing through the first 50% of the travel and that is why it is so harsh?

It is so confusing when DVOs guide is so far from the Ibis guide and from what I have read online many people say the Ibis guide is the better starting point. Seems like the fork and shock for the ripmo have a custom tune but I can't find much information about it.

All the set up guides are terrible. Get that air up and get your OTT on full, work on that balance and go from there with the damper. You will learn what works for you

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 15:43 Quote
Bearded4Glory wrote:
Lololmalol wrote:
Bearded4Glory wrote:

Current settings:

The fork feels great on single hits and I don't think I have every fully bottomed it out. It gets really harsh on small to midsized chop/chunk. Super harsh on my hands, I end up holding on for my life!

Thanks in advance!

Forks way to soft

I called DVO about the fork tune on the Ripmo (for the diamond, which has the same damper and theoretically the same tune) and they said it was the same as the aftermarket tune (which has been lightened up compared to the first few years of production). I couldn't tell you if the topaz has a different tune but I found the aftermarket topaz's tune to have very light compression damping. I'm the same weight as you and on my RAF with the Onyx run PSI 75 OTT 11 LSR 20 LSC 1 HSC 1.5 (LSR from closed & HSC from full open). It's definitely possible the fork is sitting low in its travel and ramping up quickly due to the amount of OTT you're running relative to the pressure. I think easing off the OTT, HSC and LSR could all help. My regular trails aren't very steep and I usually don't bottom out the fork unless I go somewhere with more elevation where the grade puts more weight on the front end. I have yet to go on a road trip with my RAF but those settings give a pretty similar feel to what I was running on my Diamond. Ultimately there's no replacement for going out on the trail and trying stuff out though.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 18:13 Quote
Lololmalol wrote:
Bearded4Glory wrote:
Lololmalol wrote:

Forks way to soft

All the set up guides are terrible. Get that air up and get your OTT on full, work on that balance and go from there with the damper. You will learn what works for you

I need to dedicate some time to tuning it with back to back runs on the same section of trail. I always bring my shock pump and never actually stop and try anything.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 18:19 Quote
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:
Bearded4Glory wrote:
Lololmalol wrote:

Forks way to soft

I called DVO about the fork tune on the Ripmo (for the diamond, which has the same damper and theoretically the same tune) and they said it was the same as the aftermarket tune (which has been lightened up compared to the first few years of production). I couldn't tell you if the topaz has a different tune but I found the aftermarket topaz's tune to have very light compression damping. I'm the same weight as you and on my RAF with the Onyx run PSI 75 OTT 11 LSR 20 LSC 1 HSC 1.5 (LSR from closed & HSC from full open). It's definitely possible the fork is sitting low in its travel and ramping up quickly due to the amount of OTT you're running relative to the pressure. I think easing off the OTT, HSC and LSR could all help. My regular trails aren't very steep and I usually don't bottom out the fork unless I go somewhere with more elevation where the grade puts more weight on the front end. I have yet to go on a road trip with my RAF but those settings give a pretty similar feel to what I was running on my Diamond. Ultimately there's no replacement for going out on the trail and trying stuff out though.

That makes me feel better, I wasn't sure what I could trust.

My settings are similar to yours for LSC/HSC, my numbers were from fully closed. Yesterday after I posted I bumped the pressure up to 70PSI and backed the OTT off to 10. Will test out later this week hopefully that is at least going in the right direction.

I need to dedicate some time to testing back to back on the same section of trail. Thanks for the advice!

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 3:12 Quote
SID156 wrote:
Lololmalol wrote:
I assume you have rung DVO to ask what could have changed rather than coming here for vague guesses at what could be going on?
Yep I’ve emailed on the weekend, hopefully they’ll get back to me today.
Let us know what happened

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 4:06 Quote
DVO Jade 2.5" (216mm) owners! Could you guys please measure the length of the main body part?
http://tech.dvosuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Jade-Assembly-Updated-12-8-2014.jpg
#10 part

Wish I could convent my 200х57 into metric by swapping the main body. On paper it should be 10mm shorter than on 216 one.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 21:08 Quote
Quick question… can you run these spring spacers on either end of the shock? Would like to hide mine in the shock tunnel

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 21:15 Quote
spendtimebehindbars wrote:
Quick question… can you run these spring spacers on either end of the shock? Would like to hide mine in the shock tunnel

Yip you can. But bear in mind that it’s a perfect shape for clogging up with dirt or rocks which would be near the damper shaft

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 22:51 Quote
sayrius wrote:
DVO Jade 2.5" (216mm) owners! Could you guys please measure the length of the main body part?
http://tech.dvosuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Jade-Assembly-Updated-12-8-2014.jpg
#10 part

Wish I could convent my 200х57 into metric by swapping the main body. On paper it should be 10mm shorter than on 216 one.

I would email them and ask what's needed for the conversion. I can't imagine that they wouldn't help. Probably just body and shaft. You might have to buy the whole shaft assembly though as you would also need the rebound needle if a different shaft length is required.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 22:52 Quote

Definitely don't do that. As the other guy said it might scratch your shaft, but that would be nothing compared to what would happen if you bottomed it out with a pebble in there.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 0:31 Quote
what spacer is it? Where from?
Link please..

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 3:12 Quote
Came with the jade x coil

ka81 wrote:
what spacer is it? Where from?
Link please..

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 6:45 Quote
I bought a second hand TR11 recently (newer version) it came with a Dvo jade (not X) labeled up at 250/225x 70. Specs from transition say 75mm stroke for the TR11. Will the spring clips sort this? It has the 7.5mm on currently, if this is the case I'll just need the 2.5 clip correct?

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
Oro wrote:
I bought a second hand TR11 recently (newer version) it came with a Dvo jade (not X) labeled up at 250/225x 70. Specs from transition say 75mm stroke for the TR11. Will the spring clips sort this? It has the 7.5mm on currently, if this is the case I'll just need the 2.5 clip correct?

I would say yes as long as you can fully compress it without the spring clip on there.
If you can, just measure the distance between the body and the spring clip to confirm that it's the stroke you think it is. Some of the Jades ship with a ~7mm longer stroke than they should.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008584
Mobile Version of Website