DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 10:59 Quote
Anyone know off hand what is closed on the HSC and Rebound for the onyx?
For my weight (160), the guide says 28-30 clicks of rebound from closed... confused if that is full rebound or max dampening...?
it also says 5 turns from closed for the HSC, is that all the way + or -?

I know it is somewhere in here or the RAF thread but I cant find it

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 11:42 Quote
13en wrote:
For my weight (160), the guide says 28-30 clicks of rebound from closed... confused if that is full rebound or max dampening...?

Closed = slowest or most damping. 28-30 clicks of rebound on the onyx means fully open or close to it. For the HSC 5 rotations of the dial is fully open (turn it CCW). According to the Ibis guide they suggest setting the suspension up to be very active.

I'm about the same weight as you and running 50 psi in the onyx, 4-5 OTT, 28 rebound, HSC wide open and 2 LSC. I really like the sensitivity over fast bumpy stuff. If I'm riding more rough stuff/jumps then I add one turn of HSC.

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 12:12 Quote
tuckfordouble wrote:
13en wrote:

Closed = slowest or most damping. 28-30 clicks of rebound on the onyx means fully open or close to it. For the HSC 5 rotations of the dial is fully open (turn it CCW). According to the Ibis guide they suggest setting the suspension up to be very active.

I'm about the same weight as you and running 50 psi in the onyx, 4-5 OTT, 28 rebound, HSC wide open and 2 LSC. I really like the sensitivity over fast bumpy stuff. If I'm riding more rough stuff/jumps then I add one turn of HSC.

Ok thanks for the reply, that makes more sense. I was thinking about the HSC the wrong way and had it all the way closed, clockwise.

From the guide I have ended up almost exactly the same, 45 psi, 5 OTT, 25 rebound, fully open HSC now, and 2 LSC. still feels like the rebound is too fast on the driveway but we shall see on the trails...

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 4:45 Quote
The ibis guide and DVO guide have alot of difference in air pressure recommendations, I've not been able to get out on my new to me 2020 onyx yet but are people really running it that low pressure with decent mid support? I weigh 170lbs and put about 63psi in there to get I sweet spot of not sagging to much but feeling smooth?

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 9:42 Quote
lew-77 wrote:
The ibis guide and DVO guide have alot of difference in air pressure recommendations, I've not been able to get out on my new to me 2020 onyx yet but are people really running it that low pressure with decent mid support? I weigh 170lbs and put about 63psi in there to get I sweet spot of not sagging to much but feeling smooth?

I still cant seem to get any ramp up or decent mid support out of mine either, I am 150ish and have run between 45 (5 OTT) and 60 psi (13 OTT) in it and neither feel like there is any progression or mid support and is still harsher initially than I would expect.

Same thing goes for the shock for me.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 6:08 Quote
I still cant seem to get any ramp up or decent mid support out of mine either, I am 150ish and have run between 45 (5 OTT) and 60 psi (13 OTT) in it and neither feel like there is any progression or mid support and is still harsher initially than I would expect.

Same thing goes for the shock for me.[/Quote]

I found the Ibis setup guides way too soft, I'm 185 lbs & running 80 / 195 psi in the fork / shock and the shock is full of positive spacer.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 7:55 Quote
I went for the first ride on it yesterday and it was amazing, better than my fox 38 and hardly even had to fiddle to get it feeling sweet.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 10:32 Quote
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:

Same thing goes for the shock for me.

I found the Ibis setup guides way too soft, I'm 185 lbs & running 80 / 195 psi in the fork / shock and the shock is full of positive spacer.

The setup guide is generic, but more than anything sag is where you start. Get your sag set how you want, 25-30%, and then start adding spacers to get more progressive. I'd also start with your bladder at 185psi, a fairly neutral starting point.

Ironically I'm going through this same setup issue right now. I'm in the final stages of tuning my Topaz 3 and it's been a little difficult to find a good balance between big hits and small bump compliance.

Started with 165psi can 170psi bladder no spacers. Felt great on small bump.

Currently 170psi can 170psi bladder 1 + spacer. Feels harsh in small bump, pretty good in big hits. Intuiting tells me 1 click of HSC would do the trick...but I cant do that on Topaz 3 so I think I might try:

170psi can 170psi bladder, 1 positive, 1 negative spacer. Basically just add a negative spacer and maybe tune sag from there.

Tuning is hard. This is why I don't buy shocks with HSC/LSC HSR/LSR haha. It's already complicated with just air turning!

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 16:51 Quote
TL;DR: has anyone replaced the OTT spring with a stiffer one?

I have an Onyx SC on a Ripmo AF and I’m really liking it but there’s one way I think it could be better, which is reducing the breakaway force.

I used to have a Pike with a Vorsprung Luftkappe which in addition to enlarging the negative air chamber also removes the topout bumper and replaces it with pneumatic topout. The breakaway force was so low that the bike sagged under its own weight. This felt amazing, tracking the ground incredibly well and providing great traction with that supple negative travel. The pneumatic topout also eliminated the “clunk” of topout you feel through your hands when getting into the air.

I’ve been able to get close to that feeling by running maximum OTT, but I want more negative spring force at topout. Ideally I’d run the fork at 170mm but with an OTT spring strong enough to keep the fork sagged to 160mm with no rider. I think it would be at least as good as that Pike w/Luftkappe, maybe better with the extra negative travel.

Has anyone tried replacing the OTT spring with a stiffer one chasing a similar feel?

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 20:07 Quote
melanthius wrote:
TL;DR: has anyone replaced the OTT spring with a stiffer one?

I have an Onyx SC on a Ripmo AF and I’m really liking it but there’s one way I think it could be better, which is reducing the breakaway force.

I used to have a Pike with a Vorsprung Luftkappe which in addition to enlarging the negative air chamber also removes the topout bumper and replaces it with pneumatic topout. The breakaway force was so low that the bike sagged under its own weight. This felt amazing, tracking the ground incredibly well and providing great traction with that supple negative travel. The pneumatic topout also eliminated the “clunk” of topout you feel through your hands when getting into the air.

I’ve been able to get close to that feeling by running maximum OTT, but I want more negative spring force at topout. Ideally I’d run the fork at 170mm but with an OTT spring strong enough to keep the fork sagged to 160mm with no rider. I think it would be at least as good as that Pike w/Luftkappe, maybe better with the extra negative travel.

Has anyone tried replacing the OTT spring with a stiffer one chasing a similar feel?

What you need to do is drop the lowers, clean out all the original grease, pull the felts and soak them in Fox Gold 20wt, put Slick Honey over all the sliding surfaces and seals, put it back together with more Fox Gold 20wt in the lowers and it'll feel so buttery smooth. I think I had my Diamond so soft off the top that I had to back off on the OTT knob because it sagged under bike weight. Need to pull my Onyx apart and do the same, it's been a while!

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 4:43 Quote

I second Brunox. There are some other products that are similar as well.
There are also people who do not like brunox and others.

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 10:44 Quote
Just finished up servicing my Diamond D1 and Topaz after the first year. I’m amazed at how smoothly it went. The tech. manuals were detailed and the fact that I really didn’t really need any special tools was great. The only “special tools” needed were a bleed cup for the Diamond that I made out of a Nuun tablet bottle and a bleed fitting I made out of a presta valve and valve cap for the Topaz. Piece of advice when doing the Topaz, get a new bladder. I made the mistake of trying to use the old one and it burped/leaked when I tried to reinstall it. In the end I got a new one, but should have just spent the $10 at the start.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 6:24 Quote
Hello from Germany! I am hoping you are able to help me with my DVO Sapphire D1 fork. My bike is a Radon Cragger 8.0 2022, it's only 2 weeks old and just about 70-80km on it. I am a beginner in the MTB world and I have mainly done pavements, fire roads and some very light s0 trails. Everything has been working fine until last night, my LSC dial is not turning anymore. If I turn it hard the HSC turns with it.

I have reset everything to default settings on the fork and still no success.I am hoping there is an easy fix that I have not found online yet. Radon has suggested to send the fork to the mechanic and possibly to the DVO partner here in Germany for a check-up/fix however this could take up to 3 weeks and I just want to ride Frown

Many thanks in advance !

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 10:38 Quote
lxzn wrote:
Hello from Germany! I am hoping you are able to help me with my DVO Sapphire D1 fork. My bike is a Radon Cragger 8.0 2022, it's only 2 weeks old and just about 70-80km on it. I am a beginner in the MTB world and I have mainly done pavements, fire roads and some very light s0 trails. Everything has been working fine until last night, my LSC dial is not turning anymore. If I turn it hard the HSC turns with it.

I have reset everything to default settings on the fork and still no success.I am hoping there is an easy fix that I have not found online yet. Radon has suggested to send the fork to the mechanic and possibly to the DVO partner here in Germany for a check-up/fix however this could take up to 3 weeks and I just want to ride Frown

Many thanks in advance !

First email DVO. They are super helpful and will tell you what to do.

You could try taking off the adjuster knobs to see if they are sticking. Just undo the little hex screw at the top and they will come off. If it's not that then it has to be something internal, in which case you're better off sending it to a professional.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006287
Mobile Version of Website