DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 7:10 Quote
Stumpjumper Topaz 3 Setup

Hey guys...just sharing some setup notes for anyone else throwing a Topaz 3 onto the latest generation Stumpjumper. I have a 2019 LT (150mm) but I don't think they have tweaked the leverage curves much after 2019.

The shock behaves very linear on this bike. Without volume spacers in the positive chamber the shock has very little bottom out support on this frame. That might be someone's ideal setup - but definitely not mine.

In case anyone is curious I weigh 150lbs. I'm running 180psi in the can and 180psi in the bladder which has my sag feeling perfect. 5 clicks of rebound from fully closed, currently 1 volume spacer in the positive chamber. With the single volume spacer in the positive chamber it still feels too linear, so I'll be adding one or two more. I seem to be bottoming out on small features and medium hits despite 27/28% sag.

Also - pro tip - put a zip tie or another O-Ring on the shock shaft to indicate the "true" bottom of travel. The stroke of the shock (50mm on my bike) is far shorter than shock shaft and it's hard to tell when you have used all of your travel.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 9:25 Quote
Not surprised that it’s very linear. The 50mm stroke is the same shock as the 55mm one but with a travel spacer. The new travel spacers are an aluminum cylinder and not the plastic clip-on one they used to use and they don’t take up as much volume, so if that’s the spacer you’ve got them you’ll need to run many more positive volume spacers than other people might have reported for a similar frame and rider weight.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:03 Quote
I recon there were some talking about it, but can't find.. Anyway, did someone mention that Rebound in DVO Jade X is too fast even in closed position ? How to change it by myself? Any recommendations,...

p.s. full rebuild of shock if needed - not even a problem! )

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
ka81 wrote:
I recon there were some talking about it, but can't find.. Anyway, did someone mention that Rebound in DVO Jade X is too fast even in closed position ? How to change it by myself? Any recommendations,...

You'd need to have the damper re-shimmed, which would also require a rebuild. A good suspension shop (or DVO) could do that for you.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:40 Quote
mammal wrote:

You'd need to have the damper re-shimmed, which would also require a rebuild. A good suspension shop (or DVO) could do that for you.
i can do that by myself. All I need is info which shim(s) to swap..

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:58 Quote
ka81 wrote:

Assuming you're not on a super heavy spring I'd start with a bleed and maybe a rebuild to make sure that it's not foam going through the damper & that the adjuster is functioning correctly. if you're looking for different shims that's out of my league.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
melanthius wrote:
Not surprised that it’s very linear. The 50mm stroke is the same shock as the 55mm one but with a travel spacer. The new travel spacers are an aluminum cylinder and not the plastic clip-on one they used to use and they don’t take up as much volume, so if that’s the spacer you’ve got them you’ll need to run many more positive volume spacers than other people might have reported for a similar frame and rider weight.

Thank you for the info on the 5mm spacer alum vs plastic. That's good to know!

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:24 Quote
Remonster wrote:
melanthius wrote:

Thank you for the info on the 5mm spacer alum vs plastic. That's good to know!

This is the new style aluminum spacer

This is the old style plastic one

I think you can see how there's a massive difference in volume.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:35 Quote
ka81 wrote:
mammal wrote:

Cor blimey! You sure don't half ask much.

Contact DVO or your local suss servicing/tuning centre

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:18 Quote
DmoorDevil wrote:
ka81 wrote:
mammal wrote:

I contact local pinkbikers, who may and willing to help with usefull info on that specific topic.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
Whichever way you do whatever.

Just you bought into the brand and noone knows better than dvo themselves so might aswell utilise their expertise

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 14:51 Quote
ka81 wrote:
DmoorDevil wrote:
ka81 wrote:

I contact local pinkbikers, who may and willing to help with usefull info on that specific topic.

That's great, but from what I've heard on these forums, DVO is not very willing to share advice on which shims to use for user-service tuning (they want you to send it to an authorized service center). So if that's the case, the knowledge of what shims you need to add/replace will be more rare than most situations. Hopefully you can find someone who's played around with that shim stack enough to provide the info you need.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 7:29 Quote
ka81 wrote:
mammal wrote:

Email rorrie@dvo Ivm sure he is more than willing to help you as he did with others, like lightening the dampening of onyx/diamond forks. They sure make some of the best diy serviced and tuned products

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 7:43 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
ka81 wrote:
mammal wrote:

Email rorrie@dvo Ivm sure he is more than willing to help you as he did with others, like lightening the dampening of onyx/diamond forks. They sure make some of the best diy serviced and tuned products

Do you mean Ronnie?

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 8:08 Quote
Oh yes, made a typo

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007043
Mobile Version of Website