DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
samhandwich wrote:
Have there been any changes to Topaz T3 Air since 2017? I'm thinking about getting a used one and just wondering if I'll be missing out on any updates.

Would you have any qualms about purchasing used (besides the usual questions of how well it was take care of, etc.)?

There is an updated version for 2022. I think the only major changes were to make it more robust with a thicker damper shaft and more bushing overlap. This could be a benefit if you're a heavier rider or mounting it on a frame with a shock yoke (stumpjumper, Commencal Meta, Ibis FS bikes, etc.). I have the previous version on my ripmo AF and I've been happy with it, though I'm not very heavy or aggressive. All I've done to it in the past year is grease the air can seals a few times. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used for the right price. They're easy to work on yourself and spare parts are easy to get.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
samhandwich wrote:
Have there been any changes to Topaz T3 Air since 2017? I'm thinking about getting a used one and just wondering if I'll be missing out on any updates.

Would you have any qualms about purchasing used (besides the usual questions of how well it was take care of, etc.)?

This video breaks down the changes for the 2022 model. It's shipping on the newer Ripmo AF's, for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RKUywnMrxw

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 21:44 Quote
tried upping my lsc from 2 to 5 as i was having the exact same symptoms as posted earlier.

Definitely feels better and more composed, now running 80 psi, 14 OTT, 24 rebound, fully open hsc and 5 lsc for my 150 pounds.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 5:43 Quote
That does sound an aweful lot of LSC no?

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 6:57 Quote
DmoorDevil wrote:

I agree. Also when combined with that pressure for your weight. I run 60psi at 180lbs and LSC at 3. Maybe you just shred a lot harder than I do.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 7:30 Quote
I am a heavy bastad and am more a set and forget type.

I run pressure of my Sapphire within 5 psi of correct sag of 25% - 28%.

Run Rebound on the slightly open side of adjustment.

LSC at 3 for 75% of all round riding off road and decrease to 2 for gnarlier stuff and to 4 for getting to trails on tarmac.

HSC always sat in same position at 6 or 7 clicks to closed iirc.

OTT wound not to much in as was told from having lower leg service that too much can be counter productive.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 7:34 Quote
Though having given all those figures, this is the great thing about choosing DVO as so adjustable to all weights, bike style and riding style.

So yeah plus DVOs manner towards CS especially to customers abroad were and still is as aware grade A.

Thanks again to Ronnie for sending me that spare part that came slightly split at new for my OTT Spring.
Plus the Shock pump to that CRC were playing hardball with.

Thumbs up.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 7:44 Quote
melanthius wrote:
DmoorDevil wrote:

I agree. Also when combined with that pressure for your weight. I run 60psi at 180lbs and LSC at 3. Maybe you just shred a lot harder than I do.

I have been working at tuning mine and recently had success running it at just under 80psi (pump accuracy?) which seems to help a lot. Feel kinda dumb I didnt' do this sooner, but it's below the recommendation by 5-10psi so worried it would get shitty. Had it down to almost 75psi at the bike park, but did notice a bit more dive than I'd like there. The adding of some LSC at the park seems to help - good tip! Most painless ride I've had in while, which is probably why I over heated my brakes so bad (and bailed ha!)

I'm also pretty sure my OTT is messed up. That thing doesn't really turn either way, which could explain a lot, haha. I'm gonna send to suspensionwerx in Vancouver for a full service and hope that can work some magic. Gonna extend to 170 on my ripmo too, cause F-it!

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 8:59 Quote
Intrigued to know if I should lower my pressure by 5 psi and switching up LSC to 4 and if it would damage the compression in damper unit???????

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 9:53 Quote
DmoorDevil wrote:
Intrigued to know if I should lower my pressure by 5 psi and switching up LSC to 4 and if it would damage the compression in damper unit???????

In general, the damper shouldn't be damaged from any reasonable change to your settings. +/- 5psi air spring pressure is also a very reasonable range to experiment with.

Not necessarily aimed at DmoorDevil, but it always shocks me how some people rely so heavily on what air spring and damper settings other people find work for them, when the "correct" settings depend on specific terrain, rider weight, rider style, and rider preferences. Just start with a reasonable base setting and then experiment in a repeatable way to find out what works best for you.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 10:34 Quote
Agreed.

Like when pb reviewers on new shocks inform folk of all settings used like that of pro bikes too.

Strange as we all be different in weight, useage and terrain.

Smile

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
melanthius wrote:
DmoorDevil wrote:

With the OTT as soft as it goes it is still decently soft in the top and ramps up pretty good now. I definitely like my suspension on the more supportive side and drive the front of the bike pretty hard in corners. Local terrain is either steeps or jumps as well so some fork support is ideal

The problem i believe i was having is the fork was sitting below the OTTs effective range (even with it at 5) so if i wanted to keep my hands intact i had to run lower pressure and it was bottoming out all the time and diving way to much especially under braking. Running higher pressure made the thing much less of a death trap but also pretty harsh on the hands in small braking bumps etc, now with more LSC is seems to be more composed under braking as well as pumpy stuff. I think the higher pressure combined with max OTT and now more lsc helps keep the thing more in the softer first 30mm for small bumps.
It feels pretty sick on local trails now but might be different in other places

And who know my shock pump gauge may be way the heck off

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
13en wrote:
melanthius wrote:
DmoorDevil wrote:

With the OTT as soft as it goes it is still decently soft in the top and ramps up pretty good now. I definitely like my suspension on the more supportive side and drive the front of the bike pretty hard in corners. Local terrain is either steeps or jumps as well so some fork support is ideal

The problem i believe i was having is the fork was sitting below the OTTs effective range (even with it at 5) so if i wanted to keep my hands intact i had to run lower pressure and it was bottoming out all the time and diving way to much especially under braking. Running higher pressure made the thing much less of a death trap but also pretty harsh on the hands in small braking bumps etc, now with more LSC is seems to be more composed under braking as well as pumpy stuff. I think the higher pressure combined with max OTT and now more lsc helps keep the thing more in the softer first 30mm for small bumps.
It feels pretty sick on local trails now but might be different in other places

And who know my shock pump gauge may be way the heck off

I assume many pumps are inaccurate. My biggest issue was trying to measure sag as the stupid fork won't really sag until you acutally push on bars which bit, which doessn't seem right. I could be on the pedals standing and it basically at full extension, but a little push and it dips in. I'm supposedly 85-90psi based on DVOs recco, which I would assume is accurate, but definitely feel way better at 80 or under with my pump, HSC pretty much open and now with a few clicks of LSC at the park to keep it up. I was riding over brake bumps with ease compared to when the fork was at or around 90psi. The fork was about 5mm or so from bottoming out too and I was doing drops etc.

Pretty sure my OTT is messed up though so I'll hopefully run a little more pressure after and then max OTT.

My Lyrik takes no effort to tune, ha

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
13en wrote:
melanthius wrote:
DmoorDevil wrote:

It feels pretty sick on local trails now but might be different in other places. And who know my shock pump gauge may be way the heck off

As you're mentioning, I've found that if the OTT is set too high relative to your air spring pressure, it does end up feeling too harsh. Around 1/3-1/2 travel, it's like you hit a wall of air spring and damping force that's not pleasant at all. In my case, I reduced OTT from around 10 full turns to around 8, and that seemed to be the golden ticket. It showed me that the that uber-plushness from running really high OTT at my proper air spring pressure came with a price. That said, you can't fault choosing "abnormally high air pressure", unless it's not allowing you to access a significant portion of your travel. If you're using most of your travel on normally aggressive rides, and just bottoming out during your "Oh Shit" moments, you're probably at the correct pressure.

Those that are looking to avoid bottom out, you could add some oil into their air spring for increased end-stroke ramp, and back off the air pressure and OTT a bit.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 11:02 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:

My biggest issue was trying to measure sag as the stupid fork won't really sag until you acutally push on bars which bit, which doessn't seem right. I could be on the pedals standing and it basically at full extension, but a little push and it dips in.

This sounds like friction from tight bushings (assuming your lower oil is good). Combined with a stuck OTT, which often happens at the max position, it's no wonder it doesn't feel good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008064
Mobile Version of Website