DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2023 at 7:13 Quote
mrliver wrote:
Noobish question here, but I haven't been able to find the answer searching this thread or elsewhere.

I've got a DVO Topaz on my Fezzari La Sal Peak. It's one of the new generation ones. My question: I've set the shock up following the manual and got it tuned to my liking, sag is right, etc. However, it bottoms pretty easy on big hits. I was kind of surprise about that at 170mm travel. Example: a 3-4' drop to flat will bottom it. Set the Onyx up according to manual and never come close to bottoming. What's the fix? Volume spacer on the shock? Higher pressure? Or am I meant to ride with the shock set to mid on jump lines, etc., where I think I'll bottom? I've always been under the impression I should ride fully open if I'm expecting big hits, but the mid setting obviously firms things up a lot, so any reason not to just run it in mid if I know I'm trying a new line and might case something or overjump, etc.?

Thanks for any info. Came from moto where suspension tuning is a bit different and am not used to the 3-position lever. Was under the impression it was mostly about flipping for pedaling efficiency while climbing, but wanted to check.
Try a couple volume spacers on the positive side. I had the same situation with the Topaz on a bike that wasn't progressive enough for my preference.

Posted: Mar 4, 2023 at 18:18 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
The Onyx doesn’t take volume reducers, you can add 5-10cc’s of oil to the air spring to help it ramp up more. A bit more high speed compression can also help with support on the bigger hits (separate from bottom out control).

I’d leave it open, and tune from there. DVO is very helpful if you want to give them a ring as well.
The onyx is working great! It's the topaz that bottoms.

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2023 at 18:48 Quote
I must have misread! Playing with volume spacers or a few more psi will help with the bottom out.

Posted: Mar 4, 2023 at 18:53 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
I must have misread! Playing with volume spacers or a few more psi will help with the bottom out.
I will try spacers. I figured that was the right thing to do, was just curious if I was meant to be running it in mid setting if I anticipated big hits.

Anybody know if the gen 3 spacers are the same as the old ones? Can't find any for sale on dvo's site, just spacers for old models on third party sites

Posted: Mar 7, 2023 at 6:50 Quote
If your topaz happens to have a spacer in the neg. chamber you could swap it to the positive chamber and try riding with the same psi back in the shock. I like mine with three spacers in the pos chamber and 0 in the neg. Seems it was the best way to keep the correct sag while eliminating bottom out on all by the biggest compressions which is pretty infrequent for me.

Posted: Mar 7, 2023 at 13:14 Quote
WANT! New Onyx 38

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2023 at 18:31 Quote
fredro wrote:
WANT! New Onyx 38

photo

I knew they'd come around!

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2023 at 11:52 Quote
It was only a matter of time after Suntour launched their 38 (shared factory).

Posted: Mar 8, 2023 at 17:01 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Can't beat'em, join'em
I'll take DVO over the rest any day. Great products and great people.

Posted: Mar 9, 2023 at 4:59 Quote
Anybody know where I can get a piston bolt for a Jade X? The top shim was damaged when my socket slipped.

Posted: Mar 10, 2023 at 6:23 Quote
nicktapias wrote:
piston bolt for a Jade X
photo...

Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 17:48 Quote
I got ahold of Bob Nevins and he hooked me up with one! Thanks Bob!

Posted: Mar 18, 2023 at 13:21 Quote
mrliver wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

Anybody know if the gen 3 spacers are the same as the old ones? Can't find any for sale on dvo's site, just spacers for old models on third party sites

Just reposting this, still unsure if I can order any topaz spacers and have em fit gen 3. Anybody know?

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 19:07 Quote
Anyone had problem with a dvo jade-x 210x55 giving too much travel ? Aboit 60mm stroke..

Go see pictures on that link of my Ripmo AF fully compressed!

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/ripmo-af-thread.1114563/post-15906300

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025159
Mobile Version of Website