Craziest Bike or Bike Parts!!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Craziest Bike or Bike Parts!!
Author Message
Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 1:17 Quote
monkeyboyjc wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
If it was that revolutionary, it would've been picked up by some bigger company by now..

I disagree - I think that the design was patented, and he had used it on his motorcycle designs previous to making the bike/s for his son.
The design of what? It's just a single pivot suspension so there's nothing to patent. Even so, patented or not, someone would've done him like Giant did Weagle if it was so superior. The reality is, it's just a homemade single pivot dh bike with a nitrogen shock.

What is it exactly that everyone thinks is so special about this bike? It's not even a clever single pivot like the Zerode or Wilson where it pivots off the seatstay... I don't get it. His shock, however cool the speed & position sensitive design is, is useless because it apparently has to run nitrogen because of the high leverage ratio... nobody I know carries a nitrogen cylinder around in their truck for trail-side pressure adjustments... hell, nobody I know even has one in their garage. I just don't get exactly what everyone thinks is special about this bike? Like I said before, I think it's a sweet garage build that suits that one guy's desires and lifestyle very well with it being able to fold up and what not and with him obviously being comfortable with carrying around a nitrogen tank for fill-ups and being mechanically inclined enough to deal with assembling and disassembling the sealed drivetrain... but for an average rider, there's nothing of significant benefit that I see there.

Tell me in a technical sense what about that bike would make it equal to or better than say a V10 or Wilson or other high end DH bike... If there's something there I'd be happy to eat crow but everything I've ever seen or heard about this bike just says it's a cool garage build that the hype machine went into overdrive on.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 1:21 Quote
BBLB has a point here, yeah, some stuff was cool, like that fact removing the rear wheel left the brake rotor in place, but how come we havent seen a millyard 003? Or any podiums. Or interest since.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 8:50 Quote
BBLB as much as I see where you're coming from, most people don't have a nitrogen tank because they don't need one. They're not that hard or expensive to get when you need it.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 8:57 Quote
ktmmxrider wrote:
BBLB as much as I see where you're coming from, most people don't have a nitrogen tank because they don't need one. They're not that hard or expensive to get when you need it.
It's not that it's hard but how many people are reasonably going to carry around a 50lb tank, or even a small 20lb tank, when they can hardly be bothered to carry a shock pump as it is? And they don't need one because you shouldn't need one... You could gain a performance advantage by using nitrogen on current air shocks, or even using it for the bottom out pressure on coil shocks so if it's all about performance, why aren't people already carrying nitrogen tanks? For the record, I actually do use nitrogen when I have time to go to the shop and deal with it but it's a pain in the ass and it just shouldn't be necessary for the shock to work right.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 9:00 Quote
Oh no I fully agree there. Was just pointing out (to people that may not know) that nitrogen isn't too hard to get.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 9:22 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
BBLB has a point here, yeah, some stuff was cool, like that fact removing the rear wheel left the brake rotor in place, but how come we havent seen a millyard 003? Or any podiums. Or interest since.
both the mark 01 and 02 were made for his son who was into dh - maybe he doesn't ride any more?

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 9:27 Quote
monkeyboyjc wrote:
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
BBLB has a point here, yeah, some stuff was cool, like that fact removing the rear wheel left the brake rotor in place, but how come we havent seen a millyard 003? Or any podiums. Or interest since.
both the mark 01 and 02 were made for his son who was into dh - maybe he doesn't ride any more?

Oh I know, I remember the Mbuk article. If it was that good, someone else woulda taken the design on at least

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 11:23 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
monkeyboyjc wrote:
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
BBLB has a point here, yeah, some stuff was cool, like that fact removing the rear wheel left the brake rotor in place, but how come we havent seen a millyard 003? Or any podiums. Or interest since.
both the mark 01 and 02 were made for his son who was into dh - maybe he doesn't ride any more?

Oh I know, I remember the Mbuk article. If it was that good, someone else woulda taken the design on at least

I think you are giving too much credit to bike companies. They love the status quo and rarely come out with anything majorly different or cool even if it makes sense. There are countless people who rave about a single speed long travel full suspension bike but not a single company will ever make one even though it would be simpler, lighter, quieter and make a lot of sense. If it is not easy to do (like making everyone but new inch bigger wheels for no reason of making people buy new hub widths) companies won't do it. New product lines are expensive and different and new technology and ideas is expensive and also very risky for a corporation. Much easier to just pump out the same old shit and get the marketers to make subtle stupid changes that will get people to buy new stuff

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 12:28 Quote
From Sea Otter 2013

Dirty Sixer 36" wheeled machine. Full Ti frame.

Dirty Sixer 36 wheeled machine. Full Ti frame.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 14:10 Quote
ktmmxrider wrote:
BBLB as much as I see where you're coming from, most people don't have a nitrogen tank because they don't need one. They're not that hard or expensive to get when you need it.

the atmospheric air we breath and inflate our tyres and shocks with is 78.9% nitrogen so technically aren't we already running nitrogen air shocks Wink .??

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 14:27 Quote
elanto wrote:
ktmmxrider wrote:
BBLB as much as I see where you're coming from, most people don't have a nitrogen tank because they don't need one. They're not that hard or expensive to get when you need it.

the atmospheric air we breath and inflate our tyres and shocks with is 78.9% nitrogen so technically aren't we already running nitrogen air shocks Wink .??
No... the other molecules in the air aren't nitrogen so you lose the benefits of nitrogen. Basically, it doesn't expand as much as it heats so your pressure stays consistent, it's inert & dry so there's no corrosion or rust to worry about internally, and it reduces aeration & cavitation. It doesn't really make a damper perform "better" it just makes it perform more consistently.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 16:28 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
monkeyboyjc wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
If it was that revolutionary, it would've been picked up by some bigger company by now..

I disagree - I think that the design was patented, and he had used it on his motorcycle designs previous to making the bike/s for his son.
The design of what? It's just a single pivot suspension so there's nothing to patent. Even so, patented or not, someone would've done him like Giant did Weagle if it was so superior. The reality is, it's just a homemade single pivot dh bike with a nitrogen shock.

What is it exactly that everyone thinks is so special about this bike? It's not even a clever single pivot like the Zerode or Wilson where it pivots off the seatstay... I don't get it. His shock, however cool the speed & position sensitive design is, is useless because it apparently has to run nitrogen because of the high leverage ratio... nobody I know carries a nitrogen cylinder around in their truck for trail-side pressure adjustments... hell, nobody I know even has one in their garage. I just don't get exactly what everyone thinks is special about this bike? Like I said before, I think it's a sweet garage build that suits that one guy's desires and lifestyle very well with it being able to fold up and what not and with him obviously being comfortable with carrying around a nitrogen tank for fill-ups and being mechanically inclined enough to deal with assembling and disassembling the sealed drivetrain... but for an average rider, there's nothing of significant benefit that I see there.

Tell me in a technical sense what about that bike would make it equal to or better than say a V10 or Wilson or other high end DH bike... If there's something there I'd be happy to eat crow but everything I've ever seen or heard about this bike just says it's a cool garage build that the hype machine went into overdrive on.

I honestly couldn't tell ya what makes it so special, but even as you say, the suspension design itself it pretty bad, running on a high leverage ratio and a pivot around the BB, yet everyone that's ridden it still raves about it as much as they do any of the high end bikes from major companies, such as V-10s and Demos. The fact that the shock makes such a "crap" bike handle so well is exactly and entirely what makes it special.

Surely the shock is doing something very right if it's getting all these positive reviews while being such an average bike at the end of the day.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 16:31 Quote
Maybe Morpheus could do with sourcing of a few of these shocks for their DH bike.

If it can improve a concentic pivot that much it may be worth while.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 16:56 Quote
sherbet wrote:
I honestly couldn't tell ya what makes it so special, but even as you say, the suspension design itself it pretty bad, running on a high leverage ratio and a pivot around the BB, yet everyone that's ridden it still raves about it as much as they do any of the high end bikes from major companies, such as V-10s and Demos. The fact that the shock makes such a "crap" bike handle so well is exactly and entirely what makes it special.

Surely the shock is doing something very right if it's getting all these positive reviews while being such an average bike at the end of the day.
I think the reviews are just very overly generous...

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 16:59 Quote
I'll grant you MBUK and Dirt being generous as they're wholly biased towards UK products, but everyone that's ridden it is blowing it up? Find that a bit weird. You'd think someone would say something if it were really just a mediocre bike. Nobody has any vested interest in it, so why lie?

Also pretty sure his son is doing MX now, which is why we didn't see any further bikes, and as for podiums? The bike doesn't make the rider.

All I'm going to say is there is something special about that bike. If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, eats bread like a duck, and looks like a duck, chances are, it's a duck.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026957
Mobile Version of Website