Craziest Bike or Bike Parts!!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Craziest Bike or Bike Parts!!
Author Message
Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 11:38 Quote
Random Pro's bike. Not a headliner if I recall.

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 11:40 Quote
Kevin Aiello of KHS.

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 12:06 Quote
Brooklynuk85 wrote:
I get where you are both coming from. But 3D printing is still an emerging technology and most people don't understand the limitations associated with it.

The gun ownership argument is just so contentious that any change gets blown out of proprtion

This is so true. But its not really new, per se.

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 12:09 Quote
ktmmxrider wrote:
Brooklynuk85 wrote:
I get where you are both coming from. But 3D printing is still an emerging technology and most people don't understand the limitations associated with it.

The gun ownership argument is just so contentious that any change gets blown out of proprtion

This is so true. But its not really new, per se.

Is new to the general public. I don't know about TV in the US and Canada but over here, there has been a massive increase in news reports about 3D printing over the last year. Mainly the medical possibilities but if it wasn't for those news reports, most people still wouldn't have a clue they exist lol.

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 12:17 Quote
That's good, over here its all about the gun shit. Which is unfortunate because the medical applications are great.

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 12:20 Quote
ktmmxrider wrote:
That's good, over here its all about the gun shit. Which is unfortunate because the medical applications are great.

I know! Saw a news report about 3D printing kidneys for transplant. It's incredible.

Although i will only truly be happy when the day comes that i can download and print a passable Porterhouse steak lol

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 3:55 Quote
While we are on the topic of 3D printed bikes, I recall reading a MBUK/What MTB magazine a few months ago where a guy had done his own and it was strong enough to ride on a lot of his local trails, was full sus but I can't remember what issue it was. Ill let you know if I find it.

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 5:06 Quote
There's a guy who makes his own carbon frames in his shed using a 3d printer to make the core of the frame which is then covered (or whatever the technical term is) in carbon. He was in Dirt a while back.

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 5:24 Quote
Dingus, we do that at the office. With FDM style 3D printing, the model is printed with support material that dissolves away when put in a Sodium Hydroxide bath at 70C. So what guys with carbon do is print the model with support material that can dissolve - then do the carbon layup, epoxy, cure etc etc. Once the carbon has set, they put the model in the clean station (NaOH bath) and the core will dissolve away, leaving one with a perfectly intact carbon frame.

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 5:31 Quote
dingus wrote:
There's a guy who makes his own carbon frames in his shed using a 3d printer to make the core of the frame which is then covered (or whatever the technical term is) in carbon. He was in Dirt a while back.

I've been trying to find this article in my stack of dirt mags. Which one is it in?

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 5:44 Quote
livingkills wrote:
dingus wrote:
There's a guy who makes his own carbon frames in his shed using a 3d printer to make the core of the frame which is then covered (or whatever the technical term is) in carbon. He was in Dirt a while back.

I've been trying to find this article in my stack of dirt mags. Which one is it in?
By any chance is your stack in a toilet?

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 6:28 Quote
livingkills wrote:
dingus wrote:
There's a guy who makes his own carbon frames in his shed using a 3d printer to make the core of the frame which is then covered (or whatever the technical term is) in carbon. He was in Dirt a while back.

I've been trying to find this article in my stack of dirt mags. Which one is it in?

#134. I scanned it to send to a friend though:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq167/superloon_2008/scan/1_zps25a9caec.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq167/superloon_2008/scan/2_zpsc7105362.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq167/superloon_2008/scan/3_zpsf4eead07.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq167/superloon_2008/scan/4_zpsd68c9cc2.jpg
There's some photos of him making one here, it's pretty impressive:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.528859633844320.1073741826.100001608633496&type=1&l=538aad3917

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 8:38 Quote
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/turbo/

The Specialized Turbo combines speed and style through an innovative electric-assist motor, advanced electronics, and sleek design. Capable of a top speed of 45 Km/h, the Turbo delivers superhuman power to anyone who rides it.

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 8:40 Quote
https://vimeo.com/68001999

Also this horrible road bike race/wreck.

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 8:42 Quote
Icculus19425 wrote:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/turbo/

The Specialized Turbo combines speed and style through an innovative electric-assist motor, advanced electronics, and sleek design. Capable of a top speed of 45 Km/h, the Turbo delivers superhuman power to anyone who rides it.

I rode one of these over the weekend, it hauls man! So fun!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.014924
Mobile Version of Website