New AM Trail machine and a lot of contenders

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New AM Trail machine and a lot of contenders
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 4:07 Quote
Hi,
It's time for a new rig but this time i am really confused. I come from a kona process 153DL and i sold it to have a pedal friendly bike that could descend good, so i sold it and i got it a bronson 2.0 with a fox 36 160mm, well i've got to admit it that i wasn't happy with the ride. The kona descend much better than the bronson and pedal almost the same even if much lighter.
I like to have a bike that can pedal nicely for the trail we have here, sometimes i go downhill but yeah i have to get to the top on my own, no shuttle....
SO...
I am in a place where i cant demo bikes and that really sucks, i have been researching and read a lot but still i am not entirely sure. Right now i am leaning towards a Yeti sb5.5 2017 turq x01 build, then reading i started to like the canfield brother balance, more enduro bike than the yeti, but heavier, and many people say it climbs really good for the amount of travel it has, I have tried rune, davinci spartan i guess is called and few others, but no way i could demo one of the ones i am interested.
any ideas?

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 14:15 Quote
If you want a pedal bike then get away from 160mm of travel. I would recommend a 140mmish travel 29er. I ride a Hightower an it pedals great and descends even better. Like it actually pedals good unlike 160-170 bikes that people say climb like xc bikes. Those people have no ridden xc bikes.

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 22:43 Quote
yes I thought about it, this is why i consider as first contender the sb5.5, 140mm rear and 160mm front. the hightower i tried and i wasn't very impressed to be honest, nice rig but not that much difference with a bronson.

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 18:08 Quote
Ibis HD3 sits right in between the 153 and the Bronson. It climbs damn well for a a bike in that class and is a riot going downhill. Option 2 that I've demoed is the rocky altitude. The shock feels kinda wonky when you start maxing all the travel in the rear.

I've demoed the spartan twice. I never want to go uphill with it ever again.

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 19:19 Quote
The yeti is pretty cool and fits your bill perfectly. I would just shy away from 160ish bikes. (Which the yeti isn't)

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 23:18 Quote
thanks for the reply guys. Yes the spartan is a beautiful bike for downhill, but uphill make me regret to exist lol. Any of you have good experience with 29er? the only 29er i had was a trek xc and of course it was amazing for pedaling, but just that. The market of the bikes is getting to a point where every bike around this price (7000usd) is super good, of course i say. The new geometries of long, low and slack feels so good on descending, but on the uphill u really need to put a lot of weight on the front.
Yesterday i talked with Canfield brothers and the reply me super fast, i loved that but i am scared of having a bike 14-15kg.
i guess the Yeti right now is a good choice, i would like to read more about the ibis and see. I've got to admit that i love the plush of vpp and i wish i could afford 2 bikes, so much easier like that .

Posted: Oct 1, 2016 at 0:17 Quote
Have you looked at the intense recluse by any chance?

Posted: Oct 1, 2016 at 5:34 Quote
orangenut wrote:
the recluse is beautiful, perfect amount of travel and sexy bike.... i have to admit, the factory fox suspension only in the 10000 dollars build make me angry... buying it online is not easy to find shops ready to swap components, and for sure in a 7-8 thousands dollar bike i don't want a cheaper version of suspension...
but the bike is beautiful.

Posted: Oct 1, 2016 at 6:39 Quote
Take a look at the yt Jeffsey which I have currently putting 160 lyrik on it !!! and bikes like evil wreckoning I have had carbon covert and the likes and this 29er thing is not a gimmick best all round bike I have ridden

Posted: Oct 1, 2016 at 13:56 Quote
Memmoz wrote:
orangenut wrote:
the recluse is beautiful, perfect amount of travel and sexy bike.... i have to admit, the factory fox suspension only in the 10000 dollars build make me angry... buying it online is not easy to find shops ready to swap components, and for sure in a 7-8 thousands dollar bike i don't want a cheaper version of suspension...
but the bike is beautiful.

Yeah I do agree with you, I don't know your situation though and you may have been lucky enough to have that much spare cash.

I get that intense isn't meant to be an affordable brand that everyone can own but I feel they have priced their bikes way to high a lost a lot of sales because of it.

Posted: Oct 1, 2016 at 21:59 Quote
I may be getting a Transition Covert29. Anyone have any thoughts on them as a AM machine? I ride the North Shore, BC quite a bit and am coming from an old school Banshee Scream!

Posted: Oct 1, 2016 at 22:39 Quote
silverfox101010 wrote:
Take a look at the yt Jeffsey which I have currently putting 160 lyrik on it !!! and bikes like evil wreckoning I have had carbon covert and the likes and this 29er thing is not a gimmick best all round bike I have ridden

You have a jeffry with a 160mm fork? how it climb like that?

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2016 at 12:00 Quote
I rode the Ibis Mojo3 in two different locations. I rode the 2.8 Schwalbe Nobby Nics. It was a ton of fun on 98% of trails. It climbs like a goat on techy punches and is a breeze on long grinds. It floats over sand and has tons of grip on dirt and rock and loose. It is smooth in the air off jumps and park type stuff. When I point it down gnar, it suddenly becomes skittish and bouncy. The HD3 is a much better descender. In fact, it is a ridiculous descender on the biggest stuff I can stomach (I'm no pro). The HD3 isn't as lively going up.

I've ridden the Yeti sb5, and have been shopping across all brands for a bike in this category. I just can't get around the price and upgrades on the 2017 Giant Trance. It is a lack luster name, but it is a smart build and beats the price of most similar bikes, except maybe the Spec Stumpy. At 150mm 650b, it is right in your ballpark. Then, so is the Stumpy 650b, and that's a great bike too. If you don't need a boutique name.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013547
Mobile Version of Website